Your "Flagship" pistol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruger KP944 (40 AUTO)

KP944_2a.jpg

Either my prewar GI colt 1911A1 that was given to a freind of mine when he was an Assistant Coach at West Point. He and Vince Lombardi used to go shoot at lunch time.
Or my 2nd Model Match Target Woodsman...made in the year I was born, 1958...Or my first year of production super blackhawk...or the 124th bear cat made

Tough Question. The one that gives me the most smiles per gallon would have to be my 1977 6" nickel Python. First handgun, bought it new 4 or 5 months before I had my permit.Paid for it in full ($346) and had the dealer hold it in the safe until my papers came in.

Sig P229 .40 B, Kahr K9 Elite'03, or either my 1 7/8 or 3" S&W Airweights; all nearly equally beloved, but in this order... (erh)

For me, accuracy is king.

attachment.php

Close second:

Model 83 / .475L
attachment.php

Attachments

• 160 02a.JPG
    160 02a.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,343
  • FA83_M1_03a.JPG
    FA83_M1_03a.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,332
Well let me think...flagship!!!!

Revolver has to be my Ruger Stainless Redhawk .41mag with a 7 1/2" barrel scoped with a Leupold 2x LER.

Pistol is my Wilson CQB .45acp.

My favorite for carry is my customized Springfield GI WWII Champion. I did most of the customization myself so it holds a special place in my heart.

It'd have to be the one I picked up just a few weeks ago...an as-NIB S&W PC945 4"...here's a write-up I did on it on another forum:

After lusting after a S&W 4” Performance Center 945 (PC945) for a year or so after seeing this photo in an old (’98? ’99? ’00?) gun magazine that was in a lot I won on eBay:
945com.jpg

…and subsequently hearing nothing but glowing comments about the pistol, I saved up my pennies and finally made one of these beauties my own a couple weeks ago:
945_002a.jpg

Who knew a six-dollar lot of magazines would cost me so damn much a year later…? ;)

Unfired and as-new in aluminum case with two eight-round proprietary magazines, this particular example with both stainless slide and frame had a factory-ship date of mid-2000, and it’s been someone’s safe queen ever since; the first field strip quickly confirmed the seller’s claim.

I took it to the range for the first time a day or two ago, and its performance was flawless. The ultra-crisp 3.5 to 4 lb. trigger garnered accuracy that made even my tendonitis-plagued shooting look good. No failures of any sort fresh out of the box, and even several deliberate limpwristing attempts had no detrimental effects on the cycling of the pistol (though one errant shell flew up into one of the overhead lightbulbs in the stall and shattered it…that was a first! I saw several large pieces raining down on me upon recoil and I thought my purdy new pistol had flown apart :eek:). Some claim the 945 has a purported lower bore axis then the 1911 and report a subsequent lower recoil, allowing for quicker followup shots; I thought the two were entirely too similar in that area and could discern no substantial difference…more experienced shooters may sense a subtlety that escaped me.

The fit and finish of the Performance Center is everything it’s cracked up to be. The unbelievably smooth yet tight slide-to-frame fit has rails so well hand-lapped they seem as one yet glide on each other like silk. The barrel ramp, the entire outer skin of the hand-fitted barrel and portions of the inner slide are all hand-polished. The handfitted golden bushing ring that sits within the slide mates perfectly with the slide and barrel, insuring outstanding accuracy. All safeties engage and disengage with just the right blend of crispness and firmness (this particular example is the first generation of the 945, thus does not have the secondary firing pin block FWIW). The frontstrap is checkered and the trigger guard is undercut near the frontstrap. The slide’s scaled serrations (which I love) are cleanly and expertly cut; the sights are 3-dot fixed. The pistol is bead-blasted with slide flats that are polished. Very thin wood grips give the pistol a wonderful feel in hand that is very similar to the 1911 platform – perhaps even a bit slimmer – but does have a distance from frontstrap to back that is just slightly longer, giving one a sense of same-but-different.

Overall, a high-quality firearm built by craftsmen whose attention to care and detail is apparent both by the pistol’s appearance and performance.

The flagship of my collection huh? Without a doubt it has to be the Jennings J-22...just kidding. Definately my Gen 3 Glock model 21. Right out of the box it was the most accurate handgun in group.

My favorite... Kimber Compact Stainless

My favorite is a Kimber Compact Stainless that has been touched up by the incomerable Dane Burns.

3/4 of an inch at 25 yards. Not bad for a 4 inch barrel.

Only thing left is Walter Birdsong's Black T finish....

There are several candidates, but I think that due to its age (earliest handgun I still have, bought new in March of 1973), history (used in a couple of self-defense situations then stolen and later returned by the cops), and sentimental value I would have to raise my flag over this Colt Government Model Series '70. The ivories were bought in 1975 ($32.50 and I screamed at the price) and that's about the time I had the S&W sights put on. This gun has fired about 5,000-6,000 rounds with zero malfunctions.

standard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back