.327 Federal Club thread

We've done this Ruger quality dance before. Most of my several Rugers have needed at least one trip to either the factory or my gunsmith. The biggest issue has been cylinders, which I believe Ruger has made by a contractor. Incoming inspection is where I would look for finding fault. Quality by inspection or rework is not a good answer, but that is the part that Ruger can control, before an assembler just grabs another one and installs it, not responsible for checking all the specs.

Has their quality control really got that bad?
The SP101 mentioned with the machining marks is two or three years old. Though Ruger is still having problems, that particular revolver could be argued to not be representative of their current work.

We have discussed a few times in the past that some of us refer to the Ruger repair center as the "custom shop". ...Because it's the only guaranteed way of having your revolver handled by someone that's actually taking a close look at the firearm and properly fitting parts, rather than just assembling and throwing it in a box (possibly with pieces missing - I've had friends encounter that twice with new Ruger revolvers in the last 30 days!).

Just like reteach in post #1776 , I just grabbed a Ruger .327 Fed 3 3/4" birdshead single action Lipsey on GB. Can't wait to get it.
I'll be reloading 32 H&R Mags and hot S&W Longs with a 100 gr. hard casts. Got plenty of brass for those two.

Last edited:
VipeR - You're gonna be happy. The more I handle and shoot mine the more I like it. I wish I'd bought it 40 years ago. I know it didn't exist back then, but still ...

It absolutely astounds me this thread has made it 45 pages.
It also seems every time it pops up there is a fair amount of new posts thrown onto it telling me many people aren't tired of it.

'The Little Cartridge that Could' should be the title.

I'm strongly considering an sp 101 in .327 mag, or an sp101 in .357. The extra round would be nice, but I'm honestly concerned about commercial .327 ammo availability, and even more so increased cost.
Are these concerns unfounded? I really want the .327 chambering, but don't want to regret it in 5 years either

I'm strongly considering an sp 101 in .327 mag, or an sp101 in .357. The extra round would be nice, but I'm honestly concerned about commercial .327 ammo availability, and even more so increased cost.
Are these concerns unfounded? I really want the .327 chambering, but don't want to regret it in 5 years either
If you want to shoot it for fun, you can get 50 rd boxes of .32 S&W Long target ammo for $16. It's very low recoil stuff, so for defense ammo you can expect to pay the $.50/rd for the Federal soft points or $1/rd for the Speer hollow points.

I reload, as many others who like the .327 do, so it doesn't matter to us.

Wal-mart doesn't stock it but all my local gun stores do. Those that don't might start if you ask. The American Eagle soft-points are probably the most affordable factory load at about fifty cents per round.

The problem, besides being a smaller market share, is that most of the commercial offerings are fancy defense loads (Hydra-Shoks, Gold Dots, etc.). There is no "white box" or standard FMJ for 327. I really feel like releasing a new round without such an option in the works is questionable. Then again, there are a lot of things that were either poorly planned or just bad luck when it came to this zippy little darling's release and early implementation. I think .327 Federal is great but remains largely underappreciated and under-realized today as a result.

On the plus side, Ruger has stuck to its guns and continues to release new offerings in .327 Federal. Henry recently came out with the rifles and carbines that should have been timed for initial release as well. The current production lines include the LCR, LCRX, SP101 in 3" and 4", the GP100 in 4" and 6", and a few different selections from Henry Rifle. It's basically an ideal spread and what the initial launch offerings should have been.

There are some cartridges that in practical terms are for reloaders only. 327 Federal Magnum is one of them, along with 44 Special or any other outside of the 38 Special, .357 Magnum, 44 Magnum realm one could find virtually anywhere.

If one did go with a 327, there would need to be a separation from expecting to find ammo locally and for pocket money, a box or two at a time that mother doesn't know about. Ammo is available through mail order, the cost notwithstanding.

I shoot hundreds of rounds of 327 without thinking much about cost. I invested in a batch of brass and the dies and get bullets for less than 10 cents apiece. I have the luxury of loading lighter loads or full blast to suit the size of the gun or what I may have in mind for it.

If not into reloading, I would not recommend a 327 Federal, except that if 32 H&R or 32 SWL are likely the routine ammo, those cartridges are not as scarce to buy as 327 Federal. For example, I bought some at Cabela's.

On the plus side, Ruger has stuck to its guns and continues to release new offerings in .327 Federal. Henry recently came out with the rifles and carbines that should have been timed for initial release as well. The current production lines include the LCR, LCRX, SP101 in 3" and 4", the GP100 in 4" and 6", and a few different selections from Henry Rifle. It's basically an ideal spread and what the initial launch offerings should have been.
Don't forget the Ruger Single Sevens - three barrel lengths and also the 3.5" birdshead variation (I want one of those).

I ordered 8 of the AE 50 round boxes (four 100gr and four 85gr) in December from GaG while the $5 per box cash rebate was going on. That took a little sting out of buying the factory ammo (I don't reload). 40 cents a round is doable for me.

However I don't shoot each of my handguns that much anyway. Have a terrible habit of firing a half box of ammo through my new guns the first session, then maybe a dozen rounds each year after that.

Most of my revolvers & pistols have less than 100 rounds down range except for my 58 year old Single Six and several of my EDC pistols.

Hey all (and reteach),
Got my stainless Ruger Lipsy's 3 3/4" birdshead .327 Fed SA the other day. Beautiful revolver, but not a big fan of the birdshead frame/grips. I decided to order the stainless plow handle grip frame from Ruger and deciding on grips for it.
I love the Sheriff's barrel length, but want the traditional grips.
I'll be posting the birdshead grip frame and grips here for sale soon. Will fit any modern Ruger SA model. Price will be nice.
Been reloading ammo like you wouldn't believe to shoot this baby.

ViperR - Too bad the birdshead didn't work for you, but you have a good plan to adapt. And yeah, the short barrel is a big part of what makes it cool.
There are lots of good grip panels out there. You might look at Altamont and Eagle for some good off-the-rack stuff.

Hey all (and reteach),
Got my stainless Ruger Lipsy's 3 3/4" birdshead .327 Fed SA the other day. Beautiful revolver, but not a big fan of the birdshead frame/grips. I decided to order the stainless plow handle grip frame from Ruger and deciding on grips for it.
I love the Sheriff's barrel length, but want the traditional grips.
I'll be posting the birdshead grip frame and grips here for sale soon. Will fit any modern Ruger SA model. Price will be nice.
Been reloading ammo like you wouldn't believe to shoot this baby.

Whatever makes you happy, but separating that barrel length from a concealable grip makes no sense to me. The 4 5/8" barrel model would be a far more efficient choice in my opinion.

You mean like these beautiful sheriff's models?
I'm not going for concealment. I have my Patriot in .327 for that. Just love the look of that classic design.

Last edited:
Hey reteach,
www.altamontco.com has some really nice grips. I'm torn between walnut (lighter) and rosewood (darker). They both look great on their sample pictures on the shiny revolvers. Leaning toward rosewood because it contrasts nicely with the chromed/stainless frames. And researching, rosewood is harder, so less chance of dings showing up.
www.handgungrips.com has some nice ones, too.

Me too Army. I'll go with the rosewood for the drastic contrast. I guess I'll have to decide on the checkering pattern. They have several.
Here is what my 'out of the box' looks like before the frame is removed and replaced. I just hope I didn't any oil on my GF's blanket while she was at work.

Last edited:
Was that too blurry? Here's another pic.
I just found, even with the short 3 4/4" barrel, it was muzzle heavy. That birdshead frame would most likely feel more balanced on a Single 6,9,10 in .22 rimfire because of the much thinner barrel. Would look nice even on a blued revolver for that distinct contrast.
Once my frame comes in, I'm sure someone will grab it here.

Last edited:
Wow, that's really nice! It'll look pretty unique too with a plow grip.

Saw some cool "bonded ivory" stocks with Lone Star medallions on that second grip link. Wish I had seen those before buying the plain ones from Altamont for my New Vaquero:

77097_D27_849_A_4001_94_C5_F0_A281507_AA0.jpg

Back