.327 Federal Club thread

Picked up my 3" .327 SP101 yesterday, hope to get out today and put a dozen through it. Wind is 30-40 mph right now, so it wont be a very long range trip. Just a few to get a feel for it before it enters carry rotation. Picked up a really nice Michael Kole holster for it.

Sweet little gun, it has an sp101 trigger but hopefully it will smooth out soon. Will post pics if I can get Google Photo links figured out.

I'm going to stop carrying the .327 LCR - at least for now.
I gave it a lot of thought a few days ago, and I simply do not want to cause excessive hearing damage if I have to fire it in a confined space. One round would probably be damaging. Multiple would certainly have a permanent impact.

No handgun is going to be a good option for preventing hearing damage, but I'll feel better getting away from something that's just a hair 'better' than firing a short-barreled rifle indoors.

If it turns out to be a permanent change, perhaps the LCR will go away. Breaking up the 'set' is not ideal. But if it doesn't get used, it needs to move out.
(There are still the SP101, GP100, and Blackhawk here.)

You could use milder loads or 32 H&R to mitigate hearing concerns. I found out the hard way that 32 H&R is not too bad indoors and without hearing protection, although I don't care to do it again.

A definite possibility.
But, for now, the LCP (.380) is back as the primary and I'm continuing an ongoing search for a mid-size 9mm or .45 Auto to add to the rotation.

Another major purchase just infringed upon the .327 world in my handgun safe.

The 5.5" Blackhawk, 4.2" GP100, and LCR will all be going up for sale. If anyone here is interested in a "set" purchase, send me a PM.
I will be asking every bit of fair market value, but not stupid money.
The Blackhawk is, essentially, like new. The GP had scratches when I bought it (display model), and the LCR has been carried for a few years (there may be hidden belly button lint). But all are in outstanding condition and perfectly functional. Details can be discussed in PMs/emails/classifieds.

Once all are sold, I'll be down to the 4.2" SP101 (clearly my new favorite).

GP100 5 inch in .327? There's a reason Ruger stopped making Blackhawks and GP's in the .327 and it's because the guns are too big for the caliber, even though they held 1 or 2 more rounds than .357 did.

Now... now we have a 7 shot GP100 and it's available in various barrel lengths. I just don't see any reason to go with a .327 in the GP100 over a .357 with the same capacity.

The SP101 and Single Seven are the largest size the .327 needs to be offered in, unless Ruger wants to get crazy and put the .327 in the Redhawk and make it 9 or 10 shots.

Tho that GP100 is a nice looking gun, I'll give it that.

I have both the GP100 and a Blackhawk in 327 magnum. I prefer both over the Single Seven as the 7 has a shorter cylinder. This is not a problem if you don't hand load but if you do, you can load heavier bullets in the longer cylinders of the Blackhawk and GP100. Another side bonus of having either of these revolvers is that they are both worth more than either a SP101 or Single 7.

You can try to answer them instead of saying nothing.

A 7 shot .327 GP100 doesnt makes sense over a 7 shot .357 GP100. The .327 SP101 gets an extra shot and has less recoil in that small gun compared to .357 and for that size revolver, .327 is very sensible.

Same with the Blackhawk, but if the Blackhawk can hold longer bullets, the 130 grainers, then I can see its merits compared to the S7.

As for the Redhawk, if Ruger made a 9, hopefully a 10 shot cylinder, I just can't say no to such an almost "high capacity" revolver.

Last edited:
One advantage, although not appealing to me personally, is that a GP100 platform for 327 would make it possible for the recoil sensitive to shoot real 327 Federal Magnum instead of buying a 327 in a smaller gun and almost never firing the real deal in it.

The SP101 and Single Seven are the largest size the .327 needs to be offered in, unless Ruger wants to get crazy and put the .327 in the Redhawk and make it 9 or 10 shots.

I'd like to see the 3" Speed Six reintroduced with a 7 shot .327 cylinder, and clad in the original Six Series wood stocks. Blue or stainless.
I'd buy three of them.

I can pick it up locally, without issue. (Multiple shops, same price.)

.327 Federal, 100 gr JSP, American Eagle: $26.99. Yes, I'd like to pay less, but that's not bad.
.357 Magnum, 158 gr JSP, American Eagle: $25.99.

One dollar. That's the difference.
When I lived in a 1.3 million-people metropolitan area, it was actually cheaper than .38/.357 ammo at the shops I patronized.
But, here, in Bumpkinville/Potatoland, it's just a little more.

Obtaining bullets to reload is not an issue. Most do need to be sourced online. But it's not impossible to find them locally (again - even in Bumpkinville), especially in a more urban area.

Back