.327 Federal Club thread

You can get .32 bullets online pretty easy. MidwayUSA has the best selection, but most of them are lead and can't be driven too fast. If you download the velocity using a power like Trail Boss, you'll be fine.

For .327, at least anything from moderate to max loads, I think a jacketed bullet is best. Unfortunately, most jacketed .32 bullets are meant for .32 ACP and lack a crimping groove or cannalure. The only three jacketed bullets I know of that are meant for a .32 revolver are the Hornady 85 grain and 100 grain XTP's and the Sierra 90 grain JHP.

There are some gas checked heavy lead bullets, but I think those are best reserved for game like deer.

But no, bullets are not hard to get, there's just not as much a variety in bullets for .32 like there is for .38/.357.

I shoot a high end reload with 32-20 lead bullets, 95-100 gr, and get zero leading. It always amazes me. I get them from Penn and Missouri.

I have some Cast Performance (.313") 113gr GC bullets. Haven't loaded them yet but they should perform well as 327 projectiles. Midway has them in stock. I need to slug my 327 barrels but .313 should work well.

And reloading this cartridge must be a challenge. Finding bullets, for example.
Finding a fantastic deal on jacketed bullets in -BULK- is definitely a challenge.

But no, finding bullets for the .327 Federal to handload is not difficult at all. Many options in cast lead, plated and jacketed.

Don't forget - American Eagle .327 ammo purchases before the end of December get you a $5 cash rebate per box.
I ordered 4 boxes a few weeks ago, and am fixin' to order 4 more. :)

(I don't reload)

I like my 3" .327 SP101 a lot, but it's shooting consistently low for me, like 6-8" at 20 yards. So it's back at the LGS so he can shoot it and see if I'm just derping or something. Last two range trips I skip loaded while shooting and never noticed a flinch, but it still could totally be me.

It's fun to shoot but still kinda heavy to carry. I plan on trading it for a 3" LCRx if they ever come out with one.

.327 GP100 now available with 4.2 and 6 inch barrels.
Arrrghhh. I didn't get mine sold fast enough.
But... It's a nice, tight example. Current Ruger production is, if I'm being nice, not as good.

For example... I know a fellow that was recently shipped one of Ruger's latest "new" GP100 models. Upon arrival... fit, finish, and function were found to be so bad that it was shipped back without ever being fired -- because it was so poorly fitted, and because it functioned so poorly that it was actually considered a safety risk.
A replacement was shipped out by Ruger and arrived without some important parts. It functioned, but was MISSING PARTS!

That's straight-up Taurus (or Lee, if you're a reloader). Shipping an INCOMPLETE firearm is just plain stupid.

So, Ruger over-nighted another handgun.
Guess what? Yea... It was crap, too.

Round four has not, yet, materialized. All bets are on Ruger screwing the pooch, though.

I'm not ragging on Ruger because I want to sell my own GP100. It's a given that I'll get more than I paid for it in the current market.
I'm simply ragging on Ruger because they're even WORSE than they were during the push to get everything possible out the door during the Obama years - no matter how crappy it was.
Ruger is no longer Ruger.
Ruger is now what Taurus was 20 years ago.

The only thing missing now is the 327 blackhawk for the long COL fans.
I have one for sale...
First run, low serial, too.
:D

I'm not ragging on Ruger because I want to sell my own GP100. It's a given that I'll get more than I paid for it in the current market.
I'm simply ragging on Ruger because they're even WORSE than they were during the push to get everything possible out the door during the Obama years - no matter how crappy it was.
Ruger is no longer Ruger.
Ruger is now what Taurus was 20 years ago.
I've had my complaints about Ruger, but of the past 4 Ruger guns I've bought, I haven't had too many issues with them.

The one that I've had some issues with is my .45 Redhawk. Took it to the range last year and was shooting it in SA and the hammer locked up. I pulled out the moon clip and looked to see if it was bent, but it was fine. It just locked up for no real reason and it hasn't happened since.

And last week I noticed there is a burr in the pocket where the cylinder crane fits into. I can take care of that with a file, but for how much a Redhawk costs, it shouldn't be there.

I don't expect Smiths are too far behind Ruger in these issues. I think the skill level of the labor throughout the major manufacturers in the US has hit an all time low and it's a combination of reasons that are the cause and I'm not gonna go into them.

And that lack of quality isn't just affecting Ruger or gun manufacturers, it's affecting every manufacturing industry in the US. It's odd how all the unions either got kicked out of companies or companies left the US and now the result is poorly paid workers and lower quality goods.

Anyway, to say that Ruger is like Taurus is taking it too far imo. At least when Ruger makes a good gun, it lasts and is built tough. With Taurus, IMO, it's just a matter of time when you'll be sending it in for repair.

Anyway, to say that Ruger is like Taurus is taking it too far imo. At least when Ruger makes a good gun, it lasts and is built tough. With Taurus, IMO, it's just a matter of time when you'll be sending it in for repair.
Therein lies the problem.
Ruger doesn't build a good gun any more.
All extraneous examples aside... My last two Rugers had to go in for repair after the first test firing. One got a "new" cylinder and barrel fitted**, because timing was so far off. The other, as sloppy and nasty as it was, was declared 'within tolerance'.

If I, as a shooter, determine that something is unsafe to be fired, it should not be 'within tolerance'. There's something seriously wrong with quality control and Ruger's 'tolerances' when an out-of-time revolver is considered safe. (It's for sale as well, if you're interested... ;))

**The "new" cylinder and barrel are arguable. One would think it absolutely beyond consideration for a service department to fit used parts to a firearm during repair. However, two other members of this forum had to send in their identical model Rugers just prior to mine. Both of their revolvers were declared "unrepairable" (something Taurus does, BTW), due to lack of parts. Mine, however, was not.

And, as the foreshadowing may suggest, those other members, via private communication, concluded that one of their cylinders had been fitted to (or merely installed in) my revolver. There was also considerable discussion about whether or not certain scratches on my "new" barrel matched those present on the other member's "unrepairable" revolver.

Taurus. Maybe worse.
Ruger is garbage now.
Don't waste your money.

I have four new Ruger revolvers purchased over the last two years plus a RAR .223. Never have had a single issue with any of them. Fit, finish and function have been perfect on every one.

Whew, this thread got big, I last posted in 2015, Since then I have reamed my 16-4 to 327 Fed and acquired a Henry 327 BBC, I am happy to report the Henry cycles and fires 327, 32 H&R and 32 long equally well. In fact the 32 Long is so quiet that ear protection is not needed. Yesterday I picked up a new Cimarron P-Jr in 32-20 that also comes with a 32 H&R cylinder. Since the cyl has to fill the space for the 32-20 it is plenty long for the 327 Fed cartridge. I am wondering if the steel is up to the task. They offer this same revolver in 38 Special and this 32 has a lot more cyl wall. Has me tempted to ream it.

You guys are about to cost me some money, dang it. The more I read this thread, the more I want to go out and buy a 327 Federal along with all the reloading stuff for it.

Owned .22, .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum Revolvers for years, enjoy shooting them and loading for the centerfires. I am always looking to try something new, looks like the .327 is the real deal.

If I bought one it would be stainless, probably a Ruger, any other recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks

BIGR - I got a .327 Ruger Single Seven bird's head for Christmas. It's the Lipsey's model. I am enjoying it a lot. Nice size, handles great, fun to shoot. I recommend finding one you can hold and see for yourself, but I like mine. I have only shot .32 H&R and .327 so far. Need to try some .32 Long and ACP, but I don't feel any hurry to do that.

You guys are about to cost me some money, dang it. The more I read this thread, the more I want to go out and buy a 327 Federal along with all the reloading stuff for it.

Owned .22, .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum Revolvers for years, enjoy shooting them and loading for the centerfires. I am always looking to try something new, looks like the .327 is the real deal.

If I bought one it would be stainless, probably a Ruger, any other recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks
If you're not looking for a .327 for defense or concealed carry, I would either get a GP100 or a Single Seven. The LCR .327's are snub revolvers and the SP101's have a small grip, stiff trigger... they're defense guns. The GP100 is widely regarded as having a better stock trigger than the SP101 and the Single Seven is built for plinking or target shooting as most SA revolvers are.

And they're both in stainless.

Hope my new SP shoots as good as it looks - fit & finish are excellent.

34_B7_A721_CCD2_47_E3_A30_F_84_E4_E44072_F5.jpg

Excellent.
I hope it works.

I just noticed, a few days ago, that my 4.2" SP101 still has end-mill marks all over the frame - most prominently between the recoil shield boss and the hammer pin. (Between the grip and cylinder, as pictured above.)
But... more than just mine went back for repair at that time.

Armybrat let us know how it performs.

You guys are making me nervous about buying a Ruger with all this factory defect talk.

Has their quality control really got that bad?

Back