.327 Federal Club thread

This is my Patriot in .327 Fed for my carry. Larger than a "J" and slightly smaller than a "K" frame. Holster is an 80's era Bianchi 5BL for a S&W K 2 1/2" and is soft as silk and fits like a glove. Previous owner of the leather took great care of it and it still smells like new Bianchi.
Does great with .327, 32 H&R, 32 S&W Longs and even 32 ACP. Just fun to shoot, though .327's kick very hard in this lighter revolver. 32 H&R's feel nice.

The Ruger will be my range/bar-b-q/bragging revolver. Have to find a bragging holster once it's done.

Last edited:
You should see the basket weave Bianchi belt that came with. Has that new Bianchi smell to it, as well. Way too short for my waist now. Got to find a way to splice in several inches LOL.

Last edited:
I notice that the ejector on my 4 5/8 Single Seven allows cases to just clear the cylinder, so a barrel shortened by 7/8, I believe, will allow ejecting cases just barely enough to pick them out. I think any stuck case or fouled chambers would require taking the cylinder out and having tools to tap out the case. My gun has a Belt Mountain base pin, after throwing the stock pin a couple times, so if the short barrel had that too, sticky ejection could be quite a headache.

You know RG, even though I haven't shot the 3 3/4" yet, trying to take the cyl pin out, it won't clear without removing the ejection rod housing, but the cyl will come out for regular cleaning. Not too worried though. Cleaning on this stainless will be non-chlor cleaner and compressed air.
.327's and 32 HR's might be a "pick them out", but 32 SW longs should be fine. I'll know all this when this project is all together.

ViperR - "I'm torn between walnut (lighter) and rosewood (darker). "

Either of those would look good. I kinda like the idea of a stag grip on the stainless, too.

Real Gun - My experience so far is that the .327 cases don't always eject smoothly, but the .32 H&R cases do. I had some email with Kelye at Belt Mountain about the base pin. They recommend a Colt-style pin that they shorten so it's is just long enough to "get a fingernail into" a grove to remove the pin. That gives the ejector rod a little more travel plus makes it easier to remove the base pin.
I don't have to remove the oem base pin to get the cylinder out. The base pin stays in place under the barrel (held by the ejector button) but there's plenty of clearance to get the cylinder out.
I'm going to shoot mine some more before I change anything. I think if I give the .327 cases a sharper punch they might come out without having to use my finger. If anything, I think I'd like to have a larger ejector rod button. Anybody know where to find one of those?

Got the 80's era Bianchi basketweave belt extended. A friend who works with leather and did a 4" quick rivet splice in the center that sits in the middle of my jeans back loop. Hey, for free and he said the leather is like new. Love that Bianchi aroma. Here with the S&W 80's holster that fits my Patriot like a glove.

Now, to find an era Bianchi for the 3 3/4" Ruger SA.

Last edited:
That's an interesting way to "extend" the work use of a nice belt.

Am afraid it wouldn't be feasible for my only basket weave rig. Bought this one from San Antonio Leather in 1968 at the same time I bought my new Blackhawk .357:

4946803_B_24_BE_4740_AADA_BE8_E6_D7_D59_AC.jpg

I think the thing about the capability to shoot multiple cartridges is overdone. First, the less powerful, if not all of them, are scarce and relatively expensive. Secondly, the size of the gun would be overkill for the smaller ones, leaving the question why one wouldn't simply shoot a 22. The whole point of the 327 Federal is that the smaller cartridges are not powerful enough for any meaningful role.

Low Friction - Thanks for showing us that. I don't want a Bisley, but the fact that more .327 handguns are being made makes me optimistic about better ammo availability and the success of the round in general.
Real Gun (and others) - The ability to shoot .32 ACP in my revolver is a real advantage. At the sites where I shop, .32 ACP is available and it averages 6 cents less per round than .32 S&W Long. That allows me more range time. And .32 ACP is a lot more available and a lot less expensive than .327 mag.

This .327 thread is one of the best yet. I’m 75 and have liked the .32 family since my grandfather showed me his Colt .32-20,I’ve had my own .32 since I was 15. I bought my first .32 acp at the age of 15 and have had a least one ever since . I now own a sw k32, two early model sw,ruger single six .32hr,charter arms 327,hr model 733 and a 1906 sw .32-20.
and a fn .32 auto. And looking for more good .32’s everyday.

Hey Army,
Now that is a nice set up in black. Yes, don't modify that belt especially since it has the cartridge loops.
My belt is more of a "got for free" project. Needs a little more length. It's stamped a 32, but I'm a 38. Fits fine on my jeans by itself with the 4" splice & rivets installed, but with a holster, it needs a few more inches.
My leather working friend has a couple of ideas for it. It's with him now and he said he has some unique ideas for it so it will be a nice BBQ gun belt.

Last edited:
And to Real Gun,
I'm with reteach on being able to get 32 ACP readily at good prices. Since I lost use of my non-shooting hand and had to go back to a revolver for home defense & carry (can't reload a mag, rack a slide, clear a jam, etc.) I'm sitting on a boatload of 32 ACP and that will be my ".22 type plinking" ammo. That is what pulled me first towards the Patriot and now the Ruger.

Back