.327 Federal Club thread

We haven't really looked into toning it down for home protection use. I get it though its a very violent round in noise and flash.
Weighing the desire for as much power as possible against that issue.
IMOP 32's at low velocity just wont get it done. It can kill them but may be not before they get you. Same debate as .380's

We have been practicing closing the other eye when firing at night and indoors to preserve night vision.
My home gun is a 45acp so not so much of a issue. I let 230gr's do the work in that case.
The noise issue is secondary in a life and death situation. You have to still be alive to not be able to hear.
I dont have any real life experience shooting people. ( Thank God)
100% of what I know I have seen on You Tube ect. But I watch these as close as I can. One of three things happen.
#1 The gun comes into play and the perp runs. ( the prefered result)
#2 He is undeterred and takes many rounds before succumbing.
#3 The only ones I have seen that result in incapacitation. Have been a good shot. Or larger caliber.
Thats completely unscientific on my part.

Last edited:
The noise issue is secondary in a life and death situation.

I think the issue is being prepared for a second shot, not totally stunned and disabled. For home protection you would be on the right track with that 45. This is no different really from the 38 versus .357 concern for the flash and bang inside a building, much less a small room, no hearing protection and possibly blinded by the flash. I just think full spec 327 Federal belongs outdoors.

Finally got my hands on the .327 Henry in 20". Very nice rifle with one glaring exception that I can not figure out why Henry allowed this firearm to be designed and sold in this manner. I know it is just a scaled down version of their other "Big Boy" models, but why O why would you go through the effort of creating this gun for the .327 and leave a tube magazine that is large enough to fit a 44 round in it? That tube is way too large and just adds additional weight. I would think it should have been an easy swap and to make it work. Looks goofy too, in my opinion. (I dislike front load tube mags anyway, but when your the only game in town, I have no option.)

The good news is that I have had zero problems and malfunctions so far (@ 100 rounds) with .327 Fed Mag, .32 H&R Mag., and 32 S&W long. I have not tried .32 ACP, but really have no desire to at this point.

Overall, I am happy with this rifle.

If you had tubing with 3/8" ID, you could fashion a sleeve for the tube magazine. That is the same idea as a bullet feeder tube converting from large cal to small. I tried one of the transparent tubes from a Lee bullet feeder and it measured a grunt over .400 ID and easily held 11 rounds, with the cartridges having enough room to move freely yet very stable.

No feeding issues with the 32 longs?
That would be fantastic.
I have a Rossi in 357 magnum. It will just choke trying to feed 38 special.
I usually end up feeding one past the lift and into the lever. Have to dissemble the thing to clear the jam. Never does that with 357 mag loads just the 38's.

No feeding issues with the 32 longs?
That would be fantastic.

Nope, not one problem. I was apprehensive about those based on some possible early negative reports, but they feed and shoot fantastic. I am using both round nose lead and SJSP. Feels like shooting a .22 magnum when shooting .32 s&w longs. Very fun.

I'm really surprised at the reports of the Henry's being able to feed .32 Long, H&R Mag, and Federal Magnum all without issues. That's just awesome. Maybe Henry can come out with an optional part that you could install and allow you to shoot .32 ACP.

I've heard rumors the Henry 327 LG's will reliably feed up to 1.5" COL.

The best I can do with Xtreme and Missouri RNFP is 1.512 until I start trimming case length. Watch out for those gas checks, because the typical semi-wadcutter profile doesn't run well in lever guns...not sure about Henry.

So lemme ask this about .327:

For deer, what bullet weight would you choose and what's the max distance you would take a shot that will be as clean a kill as possible?

Watch out for those gas checks, because the typical semi-wadcutter profile doesn't run well in lever guns...not sure about Henry.

I'll find out if they cycle. If not they'll be relegated in my revos. I'm in a holding pattern with any 327 load dev until I move. Hope to get rolling soon.

That tube is way too large and just adds additional weight.

Cost is the bottom line.
It costs less to use the same barrel blank and magazine tube.

You're absolutely right though, it does look ridiculous as the .32 rounds are dwarfed by it.
I thought that there would be issues with the rounds going into the tube as it's lowered, (some of my tube fed 22s are temperamental like that), but no problems at all.

Finally got my hands on the .327 Henry in 20". Very nice rifle with one glaring exception that I can not figure out why Henry allowed this firearm to be designed and sold in this manner. I know it is just a scaled down version of their other "Big Boy" models, but why O why would you go through the effort of creating this gun for the .327 and leave a tube magazine that is large enough to fit a 44 round in it? That tube is way too large and just adds additional weight. I would think it should have been an easy swap and to make it work. Looks goofy too, in my opinion. (I dislike front load tube mags anyway, but when your the only game in town, I have no option.)

The good news is that I have had zero problems and malfunctions so far (@ 100 rounds) with .327 Fed Mag, .32 H&R Mag., and 32 S&W long. I have not tried .32 ACP, but really have no desire to at this point.

Overall, I am happy with this rifle.
It's bawdy looking alright, but if the tube is that much larger than the bullet, one could make themselves a speed loader that's a tube itself and insert it into the end of the tube and dump the rounds in no problem.

I have a speed loader like that for my tube .22's, it's called a Spee-d-Loader. Looks like this:

l_100018242_1_l.jpg

Only issue is the tube for .22 is small and sometimes something will slip and I'll dump a bunch of .22 on the ground. Being able to insert the tip into the tube would fix that.

For deer, what bullet weight would you choose and what's the max distance you would take a shot that will be as clean a kill as possible?

I've taken a lot of whitetails with a 100gr bullet, but they were traveling a whole lot faster than Federal's American Eagles will from a 20" Henry barrel.
I suspect that 20 inches might be at or over the optimal tube length limit for a 327, but what do I know.

I need to bone up on what's out there, but I wasn't planning on getting into loading for mine until more suitably constructed bullets become available for what I perceive to be the potential for this rifle.
Are there any projectiles available that aren't constructed for typical hand gun velocities?

That said, I believe that it's going to be a shorter range proposition for now on deer with any commercially available ammo.

One of the best performing bullets for the 327s tried so far is a 132 FNGC. It shoots very well in our Henry. Anything between 1.16" to 1.53" inches works in the Henry magazine without any problems. I have fudged that out to about 1.6" but snags in feeding increase as you get above about 1.54". The 32 S&W Long with a 95 grain bullet is fun to shoot and quite accurate so long as you are at least 1.16" OAL.

I've taken a lot of whitetails with a 100gr bullet, but they were traveling a whole lot faster than Federal's American Eagles will from a 20" Henry barrel.
I suspect that 20 inches might be at or over the optimal tube length limit for a 327, but what do I know.

I need to bone up on what's out there, but I wasn't planning on getting into loading for mine until more suitably constructed bullets become available for what I perceive to be the potential for this rifle.
Are there any projectiles available that aren't constructed for typical hand gun velocities?

That said, I believe that it's going to be a shorter range proposition for now on deer with any commercially available ammo.
This is about the only one I know of:

http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=301

They tested three commercial loads for the following review. All of them broke 2000 feet per second when fired from the 20" Henry Rifle. The American Eagle soft-points came in around 2200 fps. I think those are the most affordable factory option and they'd be fine for deer.

http://www.guns.com/review/gun-review-henry-big-boy-rifles-carbines-in-327-fed-mag-video

As far as distance, it's probably in the same category as the other magnum pistol-caliber lever guns. I'll be very excited to read reports from anyone who takes this new rifle on a hunt. Heck, I'd be happy to hear any .327 hunting stories.

Dang you guys, keep talking about the .327 pistol and rifle and your going to cost me a bunch of money. I've about got that gun buying itch that I am gonna have to cure.

All jokes aside, the more I read about that caliber I find it to be a very versatile addition to anyone's collection of guns.

I wonder about that .312. My Rimrock gas checks are .313 like the rest of my lead bullets and are used among my most accurate loads.

Seems like everything out there is for 32-20, 32 SWL, or 32 H&R, not 327 Federal. Some of the ogives are long enough that rounds at minimum COL and standard trim length will not gauge but do fit in my Single Seven or SP101.

Gauges and lead bullets don't work very well, but they do tell you when your loads are off standard...some rounds fit and some don't, right on the edge.

Shorter semi-wadcutters like Penn's 95 grain could hang up in a lever rifle action. Truncated cone (TC) with flat point is really what we need in a lever rifle.

Back