.327 Federal Club thread

Being able to shoot .32 ACP is a huge benefit to .327 revolvers. Sure, it's relatively weak, but it can be found cheap online and is fun to shoot. The only issue is it's not a guarantee that the firing pin in a revolver will be able to hit the primer hard and deep enough and with the DA's, there may be extraction issues.

It's something I think is worth testing out a lot of brands of .32 ACP to see which works best in an individuals revolver.

Got my holster today. Family company in Montana hand made to fit. The golden brown one in my pic above is actually a little darker than the pic shows and matches my belt perfectly. Heavy thick vegetable tanned leather and one of my best holsters I have now. Fit like a glove immediately. And smells like a new Bianchi holster, if you ever had the pleasure of that distinct aroma. Which leaves me to believe Bianchi leather was always veg-tanned.
The company is Gary C's Leather. Wonder people to deal with.
http://www.garycsleather.com/

Last edited:
I think the thing about the capability to shoot multiple cartridges is overdone. First, the less powerful, if not all of them, are scarce and relatively expensive. Secondly, the size of the gun would be overkill for the smaller ones, leaving the question why one wouldn't simply shoot a 22. The whole point of the 327 Federal is that the smaller cartridges are not powerful enough for any meaningful role.

This feature may be disproportionately promoted versus whatever else .327 Federal has to offer. We see the same thing in discussions of another current super-magnum, the .460 S&W. People always mention that it also fires .454 Casull and .45 Colt. Heck, the ability to shoot .38 special is pretty common to discussions of .357 magnum. Compatibility with other cartridges is valuable to a lot of people so it's only natural. Maybe you just need to balance it with more stories, range reports, pics, links, etc. :)

Maybe you just need to balance it with more stories, range reports, pics, links, etc.

No thanks. I have done my part in contributing to the subject. I mean to complain that too much is made of the smaller cartridges. I wouldn't buy a 327 Federal to shoot anything but, except if lacking other options for 32 H&R, and thus my opinion of how others should view it all. I shoot what is stamped on the barrel.

.32 H&R ammunition is not only weaker, but usually MORE expensive than the American Eagle .327 is, so there's a good bit of merit to that statement.

However, .32 S&W Long wadcutter ammo costs about as much as .38 Special does, so it's an economical choice to shoot if one wants to reduce costs (and recoil) of .327. .32 ACP kind of falls into that as well, but only if it shoots and functions well in certain .327 revolvers.

And during a panic, I'll bet that .32 ACP and S&W Long will always be on the shelf at stores while the .38/.357, 9mm, and .45 ACP will not be.

No thanks. I have done my part in contributing to the subject. I mean to complain that too much is made of the smaller cartridges. I wouldn't buy a 327 Federal to shoot anything but, except if lacking other options for 32 H&R, and thus my opinion of how others should view it all. I shoot what is stamped on the barrel.
I plan to shoot nothing but the .327 magnums from my new SP. Ain't planning on buying any of the weaker just as expensive .32 rounds.

I do shoot both .357 and .38 Special about half & half out my old SP, because the .38 is cheaper.

Well, the Ruger grip came in today and it slides right in and all screw holes line up. But, it does need some edge fitting then polishing, so off to the gun smith it goes.
Here are some pics of it before I head out. I don't think it looks odd with the short barrel. Already feels better even without grips on it yet.

Last edited:
Oh, and about ammo you all are discussing.
I'm going the reloading route. Buying a Lee press kit (everything), dies, 1,000 brass, 1,000 hardcast poly coated (can load these hot with jacketed data) 100 grain bullets, 1,000 primers & a pound of powder, will yield me 1,000 rounds with a 1/3rd powder left over. Everything was around $300. Comes out to Approx $15 a box. And that's if I toss the equipment and brass away after the 1,000.
Reusing the brass and going at another 1,000 drops the price per box even lower.

A good snappy SW Long round that is clean & no leading is the Fiocchi 97 gr FMJ. Europe loads all their ammo hotter than standard US. And it had more felt recoil than even the 7.65's.
Experienced that with Fiocchi's 7.65 (32 acp) along with the Longs. The Longs are $20.99/50. The 7.65's are only $12.99/50.
I'm accumulating a good amount of their Long brass and might try to load some with the 100 gr hard cast and push it to it's limits. Both my revolvers are 327 Fed and beefy, especially the Ruger.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in another thread, but it seemed best to put the details here.
I took my Single Seven 3 3/4" birdshead to the range a couple of days ago. I got to compare several loads:
Fiocchi .32 ACP 60 grain jhp
Master Cartridge .32 H&R 100 grain jhp [old stuff]
Hornady Critical Defense .32 H&R 85 grain
Buffalo Bore .32 H&R “+P” 100 grain jhp
American Eagle .327 Mag 100 grain jhp
Buffalo Bore .327 Mag 100 grain jhp

I don't have a chronometer and I didn't use a rest or brace - just a two-hand grip. The .32 ACP was great fun. I could barely tell I had pulled the trigger. My buddy in the booth next to me stopped in the middle of reloading to look around the divider to say something along the lines of "It's quiet. Too quiet." I shot 28 rounds and all of them ignited and ejected with no trouble. They were as accurate as any of the other loads. Of course, you'll have to test ACP for function in your own .327.

Based on my unscientific range trip, for defense I would choose Buffalo Bore in either H&R or .327 mag. The H&R had a bit more oomph than the others and the .327 was a bit tamer than the American Eagle. Also, the AE was spitting something back at me. The flash suppressors in the BB worked, too. In fact, the .32 ACP flashed a lot brighter than either of the BBs.

First let me correct myself - I think the Hornady is 80 grain, not 85.
It shoots fine. It's definitely a lighter load all around than the Buffalo Bore .32 H&R. My guess, from reading sites like BBTI, is that the Hornady .32 H&R would perform about like a .380 round of similar weight. It costs less than the Buffalo Bore.

Got the plow handle grip installed & fitted back from the smith. Great job he did and the dark rosewood grips really contrast nicely.
I'll be posting the birdshead frame and grips in the FS section.

I just wanted to let everyone know that a 20 inch steel Henry Big Boy has been ordered and soon will be mine.

daniel-bryan-yes.gif

Finnally had to get off the pot.

Have been a busy year, so not much gun stuff going on.
Still not the perfect time, but I was starting to get worried. I completely missed the boat on the Charter Target Patriot in 327 magnum.
I kept lollygagging about it and then when I was ready they quit selling them.
Did not want to make that mistake with the Henry.
I got my order in this morning. Buds has a 90 day lay a way plan.
I have used their Lay A Way before so thats fine.
My Single 7 should not have to wait much longer for its partner.
I laugh about Bud's trying to sell me insurance. If it gets damaged in shipment. I wont transfer it and they have to take it back anyway.

1LZztiqS_iL7hs3TCVkM7HWsVp8fszojDcJ7N5v9Rw1hp1z1t2L24uQBRuw0_E-Ed2GF_FYXmH_ZlT-ZnaBAK4QILUdcVyUZO6rHxtwAQg9aksn1FlRbVZJ2v19gxwLBMs7njgdH7jVk_2ErYey0EIIv4Y6406_ZoT7CYmgkClIV28Dbw7GYZMLHs2nYjMsAdF5_MRGb7yJvwz6TcJJ8rRWY3FqyhIW8pOgt4IQzHv33NyFFS3A_4NYzU1ToPis9Z5-JnoxsVzAvIt7dj04MihSW-ZvqFLjT88sSg49GnO2DbYmuP7QcHjJKRDukAhPmB9NQPhgzuXn7iV3rWZEZL-LLrGnXv6FI-CyoSLF5gyBVsGyiiHmgj3ARvdepAEwzdtkD4fV-P_rfpnGJqBhcxmrBlIOWPP0r5UzW10Hzs7AnCoPDPsImjQ9LACNPIUrw7u6JV7mWmCZZjIxBghvmYucZjwoen6DFuFOpJmW6pMi1f5pUZuu0wHqGL7mLheaG3pEA-oSVN1uG5m4oW02LULzDFEujPVVrYwBjoW-egIlE1z_t7--LDtCFQ3XPh2bJyUkC8g4howznR9O4Q4niyBe0lnf8VKKAPB69gsU=w441-h270-no

I think the thing about the capability to shoot multiple cartridges is overdone. First, the less powerful, if not all of them, are scarce and relatively expensive. Secondly, the size of the gun would be overkill for the smaller ones, leaving the question why one wouldn't simply shoot a 22. The whole point of the 327 Federal is that the smaller cartridges are not powerful enough for any meaningful role.

I know we have went over this a few times. And it is subjective to the user.
( thats why more than one gun is available in the first place)
For some people having options is important and a big selling feature.
I am one of them.
For me the 327 Magnum fill three roles.
My Wife's bed side gun. She is not a shooting enthusiast at all. And the only reason she has a gun is my nagging. I got her a Taurus M327 snubby.
Trying to train her up on full bore 327 loads was a non starter.
Started her out with 32 longs. Her comment ( This is not so bad I can do this)
Was able to train her with the manual of arms. Loading, unloading, Firing, ect.
With no recoil fear involved. Just made it simpler.
Then after she became fully familiar with the fire arm. We went through about 1000 rounds of 32 long.
Then we started to up the power. A few trips with 32 mags. Then finally the 327 magnums.
Pretty heavy load in a 2 inch snubby. She can handle them. She could have to begin with. But I know her, she would have went " eww thats to much" and gave up.
now she has her gun and she wont let me run off with it.

Thats just one. I have my own reasons I like it.

For me the 327 Magnum fill three roles.
My Wife's bed side gun.

While my "bedside gun" is indeed a 327 SP101 sometimes, it is loaded (in 327 cases) with reloads that were taken from Bryan Pierce's article and rated as subsonic in velocity. Regular 327 Federal is way too loud for inside a building or even outside without hearing protection. I experienced 32 H&R indoors without protection, and it wasn't that bad.

Last edited:
Back