.327 Federal Club thread

The latest edition of Guns of the Old West has an article on evaluation of the 327 Henry. I didn't think it belonged in that topic but the article was interesting. A number of references to use in Cowboy Action Shooting struck me as a bit lame, because the Henry is not the best equipment without the ability to effectively reload on the clock (tube load versus gate load) (less than a 5 second penalty). The modern Henry Repeating Arms action is not from the 19th century, so it isn't widely respected or even allowed in some categories requiring authenticity.

There was also a couple references to putting a scope on the gun, which might be okay with a 30-30 (like my Marlin) but not good form on a pistol cartridge saddle gun meant for very moderate distances and styled to suggest the Old West. I guess my eye might accept it on the Steel but not the Brass model. Whatever.

I have some of these Cast Performance 113gr GC:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...eck-box-of-250

Unfortunately have not tried them yet but they have a truncated cone profile.

What came up for me using that link is a Flat Nose with a leading band (ahead of the crimp). A TC works because of the flat-sided taper and for lack of that leading band to catch in the action as the bullet approaches the chamber. A truncated cone is very plain. The truncated part is the flat nose.

attachment.php

Here's a pic of the bullet. It does have a flat side just ahead of the crimp groove.

Attachments

• CP.32.113gr.jpg
    CP.32.113gr.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 410
It is a round nose flat point. There is an obvious arc to the ogive. Imagine it continuing to a ball nose, a sort of egg. Nevertheless, that bullet should work except for that leading band. I had some 44 cal bullets that weren't running in my rifle and I wound up being able to use them by crimping over the leading band, hiding that ledge that gets caught. They were cowboy loads, so no real concern about loss of case volume with a deeper seated bullet.

I had some of the Cast Performance 113 grain and they shot fine in the revolvers and in the Henry. I just never bought any more because they were lighter than what I wanted and I got a 132 grain mold. I don't know what rifles had issues feeding the 113 but they were never a problem in the Henry.

Hey all,
Finally got my Ruger Lipsey's Single Seven .327 back and the gun smith did a wonderful job fitting the classic plow handle grip (replacing the Birdshead grip frame).
I ordered the rosewood panels and the grain is beautiful and contrasts nicely.
It has perfect balance for me now with the 3 3/4" barrel and it does look a Sheriff's model.
Now, off to the range!

Last edited:
.327 Fed Mag will do some things a .357 S&W Magnum cartridge can't do, and will never do. 17-20% more ammo in the cylinder, and with the super Magnum velocity with a smaller diameter projectile, it goes through barriers like helmets, car doors, doors, walls and windshields at much greater distances. No government agency is likely to revert back to issuing wheel guns, or pistol caliber carbines, for a standard duty gun, but these rounds will do so neat tricks their jelly bean ammo just won't. It shoots flatter farther. It's a great coyote or feral pig round. Your .327 can shoot .32 H&R, .32 S&W, .32 Short, .32 Long colt, and it should even shoot .32ACP. If you want to talk about a truly stupid useless round: .45GAP, none of the power of even .40S&W, and all of the drawbacks of .45ACP, so you get the worst of both worlds! I like my little .327 guns! I can load up .327 while driving, then dump that out and load .32 H&R or Long for the hotel room, so I don't send any bullets into the next 9 rooms through the tissue paper walls. .32 H&R is not a really an old round either. There no finer DA trigger than a Colt D or I frame that has had a little work done, but a stoned & polished S&W can come very very close.

From the loading data I see that even subsonic light loads in 327 cases are a good bump in velocity above maximum for 32 H&R loads. I use these for carry ammo, since full power 327 Federal would be just crazy without hearing protection. If I was a hunter I would use the light load there too, saving full power stuff for a rifle and ear plugs.

I refer to loadings taken from Brian Pearce's article in the Handloader magazine some years ago.

Picked up a pair of these. I flat out LOVE this round.

99oqae.jpg

That one with the adjustable sites is going to get converted to a BH and chopped a little.

End goal planned, a perfect woods packing pistol with more authority than a 22 mag and a nice backup pistol that literally fits in my boot.

2vkgf1i.jpg

I picked up my .327 Henry today. What a rifle, both the guys at the counter at the LGS were in awe of it because they both love the .327 cartridge too (even though neither of them have any .327 chambered guns.) They're a bit far from me, but I may have to drop by and show them some pictures of the groups I get to persuade them to get themselves one.

Anyway, I can't wait to put my spare scope (Mueller APV 4.5x-14) on it after I get a base in. I think with my itinerary to use Trail Boss in .32 H&R Magnum cases with some 85 to 115 grain bullets to keep it subsonic, this rifle is going to be a tack driver at 100 yards. My hope is I'm going to be able to achieve 1 inch at 100 yards with this.

Because I have a stupid fascination with maximizing tubular magazine capacities, I wanted to see how many rounds of .32 ACP would fit. Turns out 15 is the max capacity with flat nose .32 ACP, but the Henry likes to feed two of them at a time. X)

Cycled fine with .32 H&R reloads I have, but I just tried some Magtech .32 S&W Long with 90 grain SJHP and they hung up the first time through and shaved some lead off. That could have been me, I'm not use to lever actions and this is my first lever gun, but if could be that with .32 S&W Long and non round nose bullets there may be feed issues.

Cycled fine with .32 H&R reloads I have, but I just tried some Magtech .32 S&W Long with 90 grain SJHP and they hung up the first time through and shaved some lead off.

Check the OAL and make sure it is at least 1.16". The shortest rounds our Henry will handle is 1.16.

Back