.327 Federal Club thread

Real Gun - I found an Etsy page with CME holsters. Some of them are named and others are just described by the guns they're made for. I'll keep trying.

Armybrat - My S7 cost $540. I have seen the same prices you have, and I didn't even think about haggling over the price. Please stop talking about the SP101. I want one of those, too, and I need to get my mind off them.

Real Gun - Found it. CME's real sales site is, apparently, on Facebook. I have trouble remembering to look there to do business. Saw one I think I might order. Thanks again.

That bird's head grip S7 just cries out for a Doc Holiday shoulder holster.
It's a natural.
I have two S7s, in 7.5" and 4 5/8". I make my own holsters.

The Single Seven as a 7 shot is not period correct or applicable to cowboy competition, warranting any concern about outfitting it to look authentic. My Single Seven has a western style rig, but I simply have no occasion to wear it except in theory. The gun; clearly a favorite, although I don't shoot it well at all; gets packed for almost every trip to the range but never carried. I had the accuracy certified by Ruger's testing, so my issues with shooting it may be my reloads.

Knowing that you'll all lose sleep if I don't tell you - I just ordered a holster from Lobo Gun Leather. I didn't think they would be able to accommodate that odd-shaped gun, but they can. I have bought from them before, and I highly recommend them. I appreciate your advice and I'm keeping note of those companies for future projects.

It's called the Combat Classic. I'm not going into combat, but the holster fits my other criteria. I had them add the thumb break retainer and reinforce the mouth, plus they're increasing the cant to about 20 degrees. I'll wear it at about 4:00. I think it's going to be a good match.

A new Ruger 327 Federal.

Anyone got one of these yet?

It's from the Lipsey's site.

Not sure what I'd use it for, but I want one.

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUKSSMBH-3-327

attachment.php

Attachments

• BirdsHead32.jpg
    BirdsHead32.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 401
Can't say I own a Ruger birds head .327, but I do own a Heritage .32 H&R Magnum that's also a birds head grip and same barrel length.

The size is fantastic for the caliber; I think a 3 inch .327 is the perfect size (even though I'm leaning towards the 4 inch SP101.)

Don't know what the weight is for the Ruger, probably heavier than the Heritage, but my Heritage is super light. I can barely feel it when I wear it. The birds head grip is very comfortable with light recoiling rounds. Fast to point with too.

The only thing I don't like about it, and this is big, is the fixed sights are off by a lot. I have to do a 4:30 hold to hit the center bullseye. Also, the sights are really hard to see because the rear notch is so tiny. That's specific to my gun, but it doesn't instill me with confidence in fixed revolver sights on anything other than a snub.

7 shots in that small size is nice though. It doesn't make up for the slow reload and I'd rather have the new 3 inch SP101 over this.

That would be better served with the 3 inch SP101.

That would normally be my choice too, but I was just trying to respect those who would prefer to carry a single action, at least some of the time. As far as comparative size and weight, a 3 3/4" Single Seven is not going to be a deal breaker, especially with a bird head grip. The Single Seven has one more round than my SP101, so in that regard it has an advantage. As a Cowboy Action shooter, I am adequately skilled at running a single action hammer, and I rarely shoot an SP101 double action but would expect to be doing so in a stressful situation. The choice of DA or SA is not so clear cut as you may be implying.

I'm not saying I'm anti SA, I have equal amounts of SA revolvers to DA ones, but I just can't say that they're better for concealed carry.

Yeah, the 7 rounds is great, but reloads are far too slow and requiring that the hammer be cocked manually, while under stress, can lead to failure to shoot the target in time... if at all.

The ability of the DA revolver to draw the gun and pull the trigger has long supplanted the SA revolver as the superior defensive revolver. People 100+ years ago knew this and armed themselves accordingly.

Still resisting the real point that some may choose to carry this gun concealed, regardless of any prevailing wisdom about the best gun. It seems that most people are compromised in how well or appropriately armed they are in any event.

I'm not saying I'm anti SA, I have equal amounts of SA revolvers to DA ones, but I just can't say that they're better for concealed carry.

Yeah, the 7 rounds is great, but reloads are far too slow and requiring that the hammer be cocked manually, while under stress, can lead to failure to shoot the target in time... if at all.

The ability of the DA revolver to draw the gun and pull the trigger has long supplanted the SA revolver as the superior defensive revolver. People 100+ years ago knew this and armed themselves accordingly.
If I were to buy this bird's head, it wouldn't be for concealed carry. Just a fun gun for the range or for hiking.

As for SA revolvers being long supplanted by DA revolvers, well most any professional who carries a gun for work would say all revolvers were long ago supplanted by semi-autos.

I say that as a revolver person who only carries revolvers (double action).

If I were to buy this bird's head, it wouldn't be for concealed carry. Just a fun gun for the range or for hiking.

As for SA revolvers being long supplanted by DA revolvers, well most any professional who carries a gun for work would say all revolvers were long ago supplanted by semi-autos.

I say that as a revolver person who only carries revolvers (double action).
Oh, the birds heads are terrific for hiking and woods walking. Fun at the range too. I was just responding to the other guys comment about them being good choices for concealed carry and for a SA, he's probably right.

All revolvers have been supplanted by autoloaders, but before auto's supplanted revolvers, DA's supplanted SA's. And before that, SA's supplanted Pepperbox revolvers.

It goes on and on, but the point is that while even a Pepperbox is better than a sharp stick, it's not better than what's available today.

Back