.327 Federal Club thread

Crankylove daily carries a 3".
I carry an LCR.
His is more fun at the range.

This is all true.

I love my SP101. My only complaint is the windage only adjustable rear sight. But, it’s worked well enough for the last 6 years, so I guess it’s not that big a deal.

I imagine there is a lot of useful information here, but I am not about the read 43 pages with over 1700 posts to find out. I do like my 32's. My loss I guess.

It is crazy though, 1700 posts? Really?

I love my SP101. My only complaint is the windage only adjustable rear sight. But, it’s worked well enough for the last 6 years, so I guess it’s not that big a deal.

I like mine because it doesn't need a high front sight to enable elevation adjustment in the rear, like my 4" does. The gun shoots well enough within 25 yards, while the windage adjustment is something I need on most of my guns, since I get some parallax as left eye dominant, shooting right handed.

The only thing I dislike about the SP101 .327's is the fiber optic front on the 4 inch; it's not conducive to concealed carry. You don't see them on the 6 shot GP100's, which are more plinking guns, whereas the SP's are obviously carry guns.

At least they're easily removable, but I shouldn't have to bother with buying a new ramp front sight, that should be standard and the FO fronts included.

Some questions about your premises, in that a 4" SP101 is not "obviously" just for carry. Also it seems to me that a fiber optic sight is not at all a problem for concealed carry, while a high front sight blade could impact a fast draw.

fourbore, the sheer volume of posts in this thread is simply the result of nearly ALL conversation on the subject of the .327 Federal being contained in one single discussion.

Imagine if every time somebody asked about .357, or talked about a new .357 on the market, or pined for a new .357 they wished someone would make, or complained about a .357 that is no longer offered... imagine if ALL those thoughts were contained in one massive discussion?

It would be far bigger than this thread.

The only thing I dislike about the SP101 .327's is the fiber optic front on the 4 inch; it's not conducive to concealed carry. You don't see them on the 6 shot GP100's, which are more plinking guns, whereas the SP's are obviously carry guns.

At least they're easily removable, but I shouldn't have to bother with buying a new ramp front sight, that should be standard and the FO fronts included.
The fiber-optic sight SP101 seemed to me to be aimed at hunters and, potentially, target shooters.
...As was the GP.
It wasn't meant for CC.

Regardless, all you need is a proper holster, and that 'obnoxious' front sight is a non-issue. Guess what? Ruger sells an OWB Triple-K holster tailor-made for that model. Though Ruger, as usual, charges a premium for it, it is still a good holster for the money.

I like my wife's 7.5" Blackhawk.
I like my 4.2" GP100 (7-shot, not 6).
I like my 1-7/8" LCR.
I love the 4.2" SP101. Nothing carries as well in the field, on an ATV, or while on my hip driving 'Jeep trails' in my truck. Nothing else is as accurate - at least in my hands. I like it. It has all of the performance of the GP's 4" barrel, but without the bulk and weight.

I was not, initially, a fan. I really don't like the look of the fiber-optic sights. But they work...

fourbore, the sheer volume of posts in this thread is simply the result of nearly ALL conversation on the subject of the .327 Federal being contained in one single discussion.

Imagine if every time somebody asked about .357, or talked about a new .357 on the market, or pined for a new .357 they wished someone would make, or complained about a .357 that is no longer offered... imagine if ALL those thoughts were contained in one massive discussion?

It would be far bigger than this thread.

If someone combining all the 357 posts into one massive thread than the facts, opinions and enthusiasm for the 357 would be as well buried as the 327.

I suppose then an outside observer would be surprised at the apparent popularity of the 44mag relative the 357.

Not sure what angle you are attempting to argue. It was NEVER anyone's specific idea or goal to contain all of the .327 Federal discussion in one thread. It was organic. Over the past handful of years, .327 Federal discussion had a sum total of about 2% of the activity on the entirety of these forums.

Folks just naturally found themselves HERE, talking about all the .327 related ideas and, well a large part was venting frustration related to the stunted commercial growth of the cartridge.

You can absolutely start OTHER threads about the .327. You can also cry about this one being too big for you to consider sifting through -- even though you've already done that, won't bother anyone (afterall, it's buried amongst 1,700 posts and nobody would EVER read all of that, so it's lost anyway.) It's all good.

I went to a gun show today to sell some stuff and instead came home with a Ruger Single Seven. It's one of the Lipsey's exclusives with the birdshead grip and 3 3/4 inch barrel. Now I'm looking for a holster for that gun. I would like holster that rides kinda high and tight, with a single tunnel for the belt. No western rig, just something simple. There are plenty of holsters for Single Sixes, but I can't find one for the 3 3/4" barrel. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

WyMark - Those Kole holsters look great. One or two of the western style might work for me. Thanks for the tip.

Still looking, though, so if anyone else has an idea, let me know.

I have holsters that fit Single Sevens from CME, El Paso Saddlery, and DM Bullard, all made to order. CME is the simplest design and would be the best for concealment.

BTW the only cartridge belt I found offered in 32 caliber was from DM Bullard, if into woods carry or more of an old western mode.

Real Gun - I have browsed Bullard and El Paso holsters. They're nice, but I still want to look around. I can't find CME holsters. Do you have a link you could add? Thanks for the info.

I went to a gun show today to sell some stuff and instead came home with a Ruger Single Seven. It's one of the Lipsey's exclusives with the birdshead grip and 3 3/4 inch barrel. Now I'm looking for a holster for that gun. I would like holster that rides kinda high and tight, with a single tunnel for the belt. No western rig, just something simple. There are plenty of holsters for Single Sixes, but I can't find one for the 3 3/4" barrel. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.
reteach, if you don't mind my asking, what was the price on your Single Seven? I've seen anywhere from $529 to $599 online (with the lower price disappearing pretty quick).
I'd like one those S7s with the birdshead grip, but just bought an SP101 in .327. Gotta start saving my pennies again.

Back