.327 Federal Club thread

Lipsey's Single Seven Birdshead with 3.75" barrel:

RU8163%20-%20L.jpg

I currently own a Ruger LCR in .327 Magnum. Used to own a S&W at one time too. I love its versatility. My wife practiced and qualified shooting .32 long. She is under 5' tall and 90 lbs. No problem for her. When there was an ammo shortage, it was not too difficult finding .32 ammo. So many choices of ammo from the .32 short to the .327 mag. Also holds 6 rounds. Take a look at .327 Mag gel tests and decide for yourself.

Went to go pick up my Ruger today. A few rough edges and pretty dirty from the factory. My gunsmith is gonna polish and clean it for me in and out for a awesome low fee. Should have it along with my ammo I ordered Friday.

The long wait is over! My LGS called me today and said to come in and do the paperwork. The Henry 20" rifle will be in next week.

I'm pretty excited, especially after the long delay in bringing them to market. They've been talking these things up since December 2016 if not sooner.

I should get it Monday or Tuesday.

As far as flash, I was shooting Federal 85 gr 32 HR mag out of a 432 the other day at an indoor range, and at times it had significant flash. I was a bit surprised.

I know its not going to happen but I would love Ruger to make a 10/327, talk about a light handy package. I'm still looking for a LCR 327 and Henry to add to the collection. Some day.....

Picked up 4.2 Sp101 from my gunsmith today. Much smoother and he cleaned up all the factory burrs/rough edges (Ruger needs to step up their QC).

I know your pain. I've spent numerous hrs polishing my 4" 327 SP101 the last few days. Used hand files, emery cloth, Scotch-Brite, Never-Dull. It's slick and soft now but it took some work. It's a nice tight straight build out of Ruger so I'm pretty happy now.

The only remaining issue is the rear sight. The mortise in the frame is a little too wide. I can fit a .015" feeler gauge between the sight and the frame. It results in about one or two clicks of movement. Might center punch some dimples in the under side of the sight to fit it to the frame better.

My Gp100 from a few months ago was flawless fit and finish. But my single-six and sp101 were rough. Thankfully stainless can be buffed and polished. I get most of my guns online these days because of the cheaper prices, even with the transfer cost, but a new gun should be "new".

Picked up 4.2 Sp101 from my gunsmith today. Much smoother and he cleaned up all the factory burrs/rough edges (Ruger needs to step up their QC)

This has also been my experience. I decided to take this one in for upgrades right from the store. Besides the odd rough spot or burr, the barrel needed to be recrowned. It is a lot nicer now but I'm still thinking about some shims or something. It's a pretty gun and a great shooter. I just feel like some of these things should be figured out before they leave the factory.

Been meaning to post this and sorry I don't have a photo but I have a Dan Wesson 32 that I finally got around to having the cylinder reamed to .327. I have 8" and 4" barrels for the gun and have only shot .327 ammo through the 8". What a great combo very accurate (like most DWs and .32s) and flat shooting. Very little holdover to shoot targets at 100 yards with the gun sighted in for 25.

^^^^^^^^^

Wow what a fantastic idea! I think you just gave me my next project. Now to find a Dan Wesson 32. Not an easy task.

I bought my 632 Pro when they were first released - 9/11. It was a sad time for the .327 Magnum as most makers were dropping them then, I am glad to hear that so many more choices exist today - great news! I would have posted my pictures, but they are on Photobucket - and they now want $ to host pix - guess I have been away too long!

John

Radny- they are out there, but most people want big $$ for them. I was lucky to find a shooter grade gun with the 2 barrels for reasonable (but still not cheap) money. I also have a Ruger GP100 in .327 which is a great platform for the cartridge, but they too are hard to find and pricey when you do.

Back