.327 Federal Club thread

SW did and stopped. The others - who knows. Tooling up for a less popular caliber may not be the best economic idea.
Okay, I'm not in manufacturing and didn't stay at the HI Express but help me a bit...

S&W doesn't throw out formerly used tooling, do they? (I mean... Colt does... but I digress...)

Just saying, what is the REAL overhead in just making more of something you obviously already designed, tested, produced and shipped? Same frames they make a gujillion of, same cylinders with a different sized hole. Maybe you have to make some new barrels. I think S&W can handle making barrels.

The real answer is that S&W is LONG detached from it's consumer base. Reads like an opinion but far closer to demonstrated fact.

Seems like a disease that much of the gun industry suffers from and always has. Then there is a company like Taurus, all the guts to try almost anything just to see if it sticks -- too bad they have never figured out "quality."

I take heart! They actually exist!

Personally, I am patient. This moves the .327 Federal, overall, higher up on the acquisition list. If I did not mention it before, I think it would be a fantastic farm/ranch/homestead "working" cartridge.

Now to get that ranch.......

I'm not a member of this club yet, but sooner or later Ruger is going to make a 3" LCRx or SP101 in .327 and I'm there.

Once I shoot that, I might decide that a 16.5" Henry carbine in .327 would make a nice companion gun. But I think it will have to happen in that order and not the other way around.

I'm not a member of this club yet, but sooner or later Ruger is going to make a 3" LCRx...
I've been waiting for this revolver to drop, but lately I've been having second thoughts and am thinking that the current 4.2 inch SP101 might be a better choice. I don't care for FO sights on a handgun, but the extra weight and barrel length of the SP will help further reduce the recoil and flip, especially when using full power loads with 100 and 115 grain bullets.

Then again, the low weight of the LCRx and the smooth trigger appeals to me also. If Ruger came out with the 3 inch LCRx in .327, I would have the most difficult choice to make since that time I was at a restaurant and had to choose between the soup or the salad.

If Ruger came out with the 3 inch LCRx in .327, I would have the most difficult choice to make...

This should be a natural choice if Ruger keeps up with both the .327 and the expansion of their LCRx line. I'd certainly be excited about it. As with the current LCR 327, I feel like a 3" LCRx might still be best with the 85-grain load. I continue to be impressed at how comfortable and easily controllable it is in the LCR. I feel the same way about the heavier loads in the SP101. In both cases, they hit a sweet spot in the firepower/recoil graph. Getting an extra shot on the wheel is just gravy. :D

Why Only 6 Rounds?

With the slim profile of the 327 Magnum, I can't figure out why either Ruger and S&W doesn't make a revolver with at least 7 or preferably 8 rounds in the cylinder. IMO, the main disadvantage of revolvers is their limited capacity. The 327 Mag is a good answer to that.

S&W already has the Model 627 with 8 rounds of 357 Magnum, why not give us one with 327 Magnum? That model could probably hold 9 or 10 rounds.

"Limited market" is not a good excuse. If they build it, we will come.

:p

There is the Ruger Single Seven - but a SA is not modern for carry or SD. As far as if you build it - they will come - there is a GAP in your logic - as in 45 GAP.

Haha!

It does depend on what you build

Well, granted, you can't just build ANYTHING and expect them to come!

I'm not knowledgeable enough to participate in the 45 GAP discussion.

But, I'd sell half my modest gun collection to get an 8 round, 3" 327 magnum revolver built by S&W or Ruger. Hope they're listening.

Let's just say, if they build it, I will come, and I'll bet lots of others will, too!

Last edited:
With the slim profile of the 327 Magnum, I can't figure out why either Ruger and S&W doesn't make a revolver with at least 7 or preferably 8 rounds in the cylinder. IMO, the main disadvantage of revolvers is their limited capacity. The 327 Mag is a good answer to that.

S&W already has the Model 627 with 8 rounds of 357 Magnum, why not give us one with 327 Magnum? That model could probably hold 9 or 10 rounds.

"Limited market" is not a good excuse. If they build it, we will come.

I think the .327 has been a "plus one" in each of its offerings so far. Ruger did release a 7-shot GP100. I don't know how well it sold but there are a bunch of us who missed the boat when it did. If Ruger brings it back, I'll bite. I'd love a fancy distributor's exclusive with a 5" barrel but I suppose I shouldn't be so greedy with my dreams. :D

For a while now, .327 has felt like it was Ruger's baby. The Henry may change that but I don't know by how much. I'm just not holding out for another toe into the pond from Smith and Wesson. Until then, maybe a high-capacity Redhawk? There I go getting greedy again...

Woot!!!
I saw that the Henry was starting to ship.
My FFL has two on order so maybe.....I dont know were he lays on the food chain.
But he quoted me a price of $650 ( or there about) for a carbine.
So patients may be a virtue for me.

The long wait for a partner for my Single 7 may soon be over.

Good to hear.
I'll have to check with my preferred purveyor of expensive toys.
He won't be ordering one unless he knows he has a buyer. And, as of yet, my Henry fund has not been replenished.

I think the .327 has been a "plus one" in each of its offerings so far. Ruger did release a 7-shot GP100. I don't know how well it sold but there are a bunch of us who missed the boat when it did. If Ruger brings it back, I'll bite. I'd love a fancy distributor's exclusive with a 5" barrel but I suppose I shouldn't be so greedy with my dreams.
I think nearly everyone that has used multiple .327 Federal revolvers, with experience on the GP100, find the GP to be the best all-around revolver for the cartridge.
I sure did enjoy mine, and find it more enjoyable than the short SP101, the Blackhawk, and the LCR.
...Until I got my hands on the 4.2" SP101.
I like them all, but the 4.2" SP101 is my favorite.

I think the .327 has been a "plus one" in each of its offerings so far. Ruger did release a 7-shot GP100. I don't know how well it sold but there are a bunch of us who missed the boat when it did. If Ruger brings it back, I'll bite. I'd love a fancy distributor's exclusive with a 5" barrel but I suppose I shouldn't be so greedy with my dreams. :D

For a while now, .327 has felt like it was Ruger's baby. The Henry may change that but I don't know by how much. I'm just not holding out for another toe into the pond from Smith and Wesson. Until then, maybe a high-capacity Redhawk? There I go getting greedy again...

I snapped one up when it was available in 2011. Love at first sight I guess. It has a 4" barrel and 7 round cylinder.

The .327 in a GP100... I can see that being a good fit for the 3 inch GP only. Once you get into 4 inch and longer barrels, I just think the larger size and weight of the GP is a better fit for the .357.

I have similar thoughts about the new Ruger Redhawk in .357. Given how short the barrel is, I don't see any reason to bother with .357 in it and even with the barrel that short, I'm still not carrying around a brick.

Were it a 4 inch or longer barrel, I'd definitely get a .357 Redhawk in a 5.5 or 7.5 inch barrel. That would make for an amazing plinker loaded with .38, and a nice trail walking gun loaded with the .357.

Back to .327, 3 inch GP is quite small and light given it's size would make for an excellent choice for .327 Mag.

Ruger's shown the past year or two that they're willing to put something other than .357 in the GP100, but I think the overwhelming desire for .327 is in small to medium frame conceal carry guns, not large revolvers that weigh a lot.

And while I'm at it, I had a thought about what my ideal .327 Magnum rifle would be. Some have speculated that maybe Ruger might put the .327 in the M77 now that Henry's .327 may be hitting shelves soon. While a bolt gun would probably be more accurate, I would really like to see a .327 Magnum in a Ruger Model 44 type carbine.

I'd want a couple design changes on the original Model 44 though, some updates if you will. One is I'd still want a tubular magazine, but I want it to be a full length and hold at least 9 rounds. The other change is I'd want a way to cut off the gas ports and turn it into a manual ejector. I'd want this just to make it so that if there was any feeding or ejection issues when shooting .32 H&R or .32 Long that I could operate the action myself. Then, if I suppressed it, I'd want to keep the breech closed to prevent any blowback from the gasses.

Oh, also, I want a threaded barrel.

I checked Gunbroker and both of those listed have sold. One of them sold for under the MSRP shown on Henry's web site. The other was closer to the price.

I called Henry today just for kicks, and was given the end of summer date for the rifles.

I see there are 2 more rifles on Gunbroker. Neither had a bid the last time I looked. I'm curious how just 4 rifles made it out to the wild.

I see there are 2 more rifles on Gunbroker. Neither had a bid the last time I looked. I'm curious how just 4 rifles made it out to the wild.

The steel framed rifles are shipping now. The brass Big Boys are slated for later.

I may have asked this question before, but how well do you guys think these Henry's will feed .32 H&R Magnum? All I've read from others is that lever guns chambered for Magnum cartridges tend to have... issues with the shorter Specials.

Back