.327 Federal Club thread

Henry claims they're good for .32 H&R, and the nominal difference in length between them is only 0.100" if I remember correctly.
Should do fine.

Certain styles of bullet may be more prone to having issues than others, though. (And I can't offer predictions right now, having not seen the geometry of the action, or fired one at all.)

Last edited:
It's more like .125, at least for the max COL for both. You're right though, Henry does claim the guns will work with both rounds.

I'd imagine they might not function with the .32 Short or Long.

So is the 327 taking off again? I just saw Rugers listing for the Single 7 in 327 and with Henrys addition I hope the ball is rolling again. I'm keeping my eyes open for them.

Davidson's has had between four and several dozen, each, of the SP101 4.2" and the LCR for the last month, or so.
The numbers jump and then trickle down, so it seems that they're still shipping some out and receiving small lots to replace them.

I believe it is new production. I had a 632-1 in my hand and put it down because I did not like the power port. This time I will actually buy it and have my gunsmith cut the barrel down to remove it. Or, could he move the front sight forward to cover it and have the gases come out on the left and right of the sight??

The lock hole is always a mark against modern S&W in my decision tree, but it was the port hole that sealed the deal for me as well. If this is a new product and it isn't ported, I'd certainly take a look.

That said, anyone consider contacting Lipseye's and asking?

The ported bbl on the s&w 632 is a non starter for me also. ~45k psi for the hottest ammo puts a pretty sharp/bright blast in your face. Not good if your eyes are fully adapted to the dark. They did target this weapon to be for self defense.

^ Indeed. This round is already bright and loud without putting a plume directly into your line of sight. AFAIK, porting is done to reduce felt recoil and allow for faster target reacquisition. The latter is at obvious odds here. The former... is it necessary or even helpful? One of the inherent advantages of .327 is a relatively good ratio of downrange power to felt recoil. So it's already good at that! For instance, consider the non-ported LCR 327. The lighter Hydra-Shoks have felt recoil on par with .38 +p while the heavier loads still come in with less hand-shock than standard defensive loads in .357 magnum. Why S&W ported their only model chambered in .327 Federal remains a mystery. All I know for sure is that it kept me from buying one.

The ported bbl on the s&w 632 is a non starter for me also. ~45k psi for the hottest ammo puts a pretty sharp/bright blast in your face. Not good if your eyes are fully adapted to the dark. They did target this weapon to be for self defense.
Then don't use .327, use .32 H&R if you don't want to be... Blinded by the Light and see another criminal Runner in the Night.

Got a note from Jason at Lipsey's yesterday. He also is a .327 fan, says he has been after Rossi and Winchester to produce a Model 92 in .327 with no luck so far. He said Rossi is experiencing some unknown "manufacturing issues" right now, so we can't expect anything from them in the near future. But let's keep hounding Winchester, Miroku, Taylor's, Rossi, anyone else even remotely connected to a possible Model 92 and hope someone comes out with a stainless, 24" octagon barreled model. I'd go into debt for one (and I've been debt-free for a couple years now, finally). Or anything else, for that matter. My Marlin 1894 CB with RPP mods has become too rare to take into the woods anymore.

I have the ported gun. Not been a problem when I shoot it as outlaw in an IDPA match. It's not my go to SD gun at home, so I don't worry about the flash at night.

Here is a clip of an email from Henry. Looks like the 327 is a big seller...

The New for 2017 models and some of the more sought after 2016 rifles have been very difficult for some of you to get a hold of, and we understand that the wait is frustrating. We are making every effort to get more of these to market and we're even investing in some new machinery to increase production on these hard to find models.
As we work hard to correct the lack of inventory on models that have already started shipping and get back on track with the delayed models we are going to continue to work closely with local Henry dealers in an effort to keep them informed of which distributors we're shipping to.
Here is an updated list of expected shipping dates for the New for 2017 models:
H006 Big Boy & Big Boy Carbine .41 Mags - Shipping Early August
H006 Big Boy & Big Boy Carbine .327 Fed Mags - Shipping Mid August
H012 Big Boy Steel & Big Boy Steel Carbine .327 Fed Mags - Shipping Now!

^ I hope it is a big seller and if it is I'm not surprised that it is. I've always felt there was a place in the market for a .32 lever gun that was much less than the Marlin. .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum revolvers have been around a long time, there's bound to be people who really like their .32 revolvers and would like a rifle to go with them.

And the fact that in .327, the Henry has the same power (more if you factory in the added velocity the 20 inch barrel will give) as a .30 Carbine, that's bound to garner some interest.

Davidson's (GoG), lists the Big Boy (brass), but not the carbine or the steel versions.
Until I checked today, they had absolutely nothing. So, perhaps, maybe... they've got something in the pipeline.

I'll be revisiting my LGS again, to request a "can you get one" check, yet again...

Just today GB has two Tauri listed in .327, a three inch double action and a shorter snubby. I'm still holding out for a M92.

Back