.327 Federal Club thread

My comment was based on Real Gun's suggestion regarding what to do if a rifle chambered in .327 would not feed .32s:
... but lighter loads in 327 cases should be possible, if that's all the rifle will feed reliably.

Henry does list the 327 BB steel rifles as cambering ".327 Fed Magnum/.32 H&R Mag" in the specs. They must have designed and tested the function w/ both cartridge lengths. They should be hitting the streets soon.

Ahh, the shorts will be a different story. They could very likely not cycle well.

I don't shoot SASS but Henry states:
Choose from .44 Magnum, .45 Colt, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, and .327 Federal Magnum. All are SASS approved so Cowboy Action shooters who enjoy stepping back to that bygone era can use them in competition.

It would seem odd that Henry would print if they are not legal for competition. In any case, I am looking forward to getting one as soon as they are available.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy/

SASS rules state that the Henry Big Boy, no reference to caliber, is approved except for Classic Cowboy category, in which authenticity is enforced and in which caliber must be .40 or greater, up to .45. The original Henry rifles were only chambered in .44 Henry. You can shoot one of those, if you want to beat up an antique and somehow have the brass.

I'm looking forward to buying one, and I'm in line at my LGS for one as soon as they ship. I favor the 20" barrel rifle in steel.

The web site still says "late May" which it is right now. Maybe after the holiday they'll update the web site with the latest target date.

I first heard of these .327 rifles in January, with a early spring release date. I'm not sure why the date keeps slipping, but it's better to wait until all bugs are worked out rather than shipping guns with problems to meet some arbitrary date.

I received an email from a Henry rep. The steel versions of the .327 rifles are being released this week. He said it would take a week or so to filter through the distributors to the dealers.

The brass receiver models are due towards the end of the month.

Hopefully this month. I did want a brass rifle and it looks like that will be done after the steel receiver. I am still in line waiting and looking forward to getting one.

I know that they're coming out someday, so in the meantime, which is the better length: 16.5 inch or 20 inch?

I'm leaning towards the 20 inch because it holds 3 more rounds and considering the Henry's don't have a loading gate, it would be less tiresome reloading so often. On the other hand, I don't think the .327 (or .32 H&R/S&W for that matter) needs the 20 inch length to get max velocity.

What do you fellas think?

Definitely want the brass receiver and 20" barrel. All of those years shooting target rifles I like the greater weight and longer sight radius. With the smaller bore, the 327 would likely weigh more than even a 41.

Yes, I am getting a bit impatient and frustrated with the lack of a Henry rifle.

They are listed on their website and Lipseys, but seem to be unreleased still. No dealer I have talked with can seem to be able to order one yet.

I will buy one when they are available, but at this rate, I am hoping Ruger has surprise, and announce they have a nice bolt action (M77? or American) they are releasing before Henry. I notice they seem to release in that fashion (very secretive until the day of release).

Idk, I'm wondering if Henry is looking at sales projections for a .32 lever action and are getting cold feet. I find it hard to believe that Henry can't manufacture a trouble free Big Boy in a cartridge smaller than .357 Magnum.

Speaking of the Big Boy, I'm wondering how clunky the rifle is going to feel. Maybe that's another reason Henry is taking so long: maybe they've gotten a lot of negative feedback during testing about how the rifle feels and are looking at putting .327 in the rimfire lever actions instead.

If Ruger somehow does beat Henry bringing a .327 rifle to the table first and it happens to be a bolt action, Henry's going to lose my money.

If they use a standard BB profile barrel I'm sure it will be pretty chunky. A slimmed .312 bbl would make it more handy but probably drive up costs. We'll see where it goes.

Back