What's your fave mini 9mm?

I just went throught looking for a smallish pistol, Carrying a small pistol has some huge down sides, so I don't like to do it, but some days, smaller just works.
I was thinking the Shield, XDS, Sig P238, & the Sig 239.
The XDS was my choice, Because, there is enough gun to rack the slide easily, the controls are all simple, it has the roughest texture, the fiber optic front site (huge + in my world), and the best trigger.
All 3 were the same when it came to accuracy.

I think the key to choosing a small pistol for concealed carry is to find one that's small enough to comfortably carry in all weather and conditions, but not too small to where the caliber, sights, and size are ineffective.

I see people giving up effective caliber, range, accuracy, capacity, etc... and hope it doesn't catch them off guard someday.

Add me to the S&W Shield camp. Love mine as an EDC. I added Tru-Glow TFOs front and rear. 1000+ rounds and not a single issue. Comfy to shoot and I'm as accurate with it as I am my larger pistols.

Sold a S&W 3914 and kept a Walther PPS. Have shot a Kimber Solo, and my take is that I cannot, or won't, keep buying the next best super mini 9mm, etc. The Walther is flat, well engineered, and small ENOUGH. At some point, you sacrifice reliability or durability, the smaller you go. Same with the super compact .45'sw, etc. Meantime, I love the Walther PPS.

Browning Hi-Power (P-35). John Moses Browning's final iteration of the 1911 platform. Elegance and functionality.

CZ 75b is 2nd choice.

As for Mini 9s....

I started with this (Taurus 709)...........

RealWeights009.jpg

And, ended with this (Diamondback DB9)...........

RealWeights008.jpg

RealWeights004.jpg

Mostly, it's because of the weight and physical size. Having a firearm pulling your pants down wasn't a part of the plan. Also consider, that you're carrying, keys, a cell phone and a wallet. It all adds up.

RealWeight001.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last edited:
I'm interested in why the Diamond back over the PT709. Just curious as you don't hear much (or see around here) of the DB9.

Thanks.

M&P Shield is one of the pistols I'd liked to get.

I also have great experiences with Taurus's Slim line of pistols (709 and 740).

I'm interested in why the Diamond back over the PT709. Just curious as you don't hear much (or see around here) of the DB9.

Im curious to know as well. Having shot/owned PF9, 709, LC9, and Shield, they were all very close in size and very easily pocket carried. The PF9 and 709 even fits in the same pocket holster when I carried them.

the DB doesn't appeal to me at all...

I have a Sig P290, a Kahr PM9, and a Sig P938 and also a Glock 26(though not a "mini"). I carry the Kahr. Its been reliable at the range(not that the others haven't) and its light to carry in the pocket. The P290 is a solid gun, but its a bit heavier than it should be.

Bersa BP9CC. Very similar in size and appearance to the Kahr CW9. I was actually looking for a CW9 when someone offered me the Bersa as part of a trade. Mine is reliable with any type of ammo I feed it and it comes with two 8 round mags.Bersa-BP9CC-Nickel.jpg

Right now it's the PM9 but that may change once I get a Boberg up and running.
The Boberg ergonomics really work well for me. The slide operation requires minimal effort. The recoil is similar to the PM9 from an energy standpoint but different. More back pressure with less muzzle rise. Rated for Plus P and 8 rounds.
I have two and the first one was not reliable at all. I'm going to see how the second operates. Boberg has warranted units under SN 1000 3 years.
The trigger pull is quite long, and Boberg has a mod to shorten the take up.

Back