What's your fave mini 9mm?

small handgun budet

not a conceal carry permit holder, live in an open carry state. good price point on the mini 9mm, whats the best value for a non carry shooter looking to expand their collection?

I really like my Kahr CW9. It is the perfect size for my hand. Anything even marginally smaller is too small for me to use comfortably, because I am a big guy. I also really enjoy the double action trigger. I typically fire revolvers, but I wanted to carry a semi-automatic 9mm because I like big revolvers and they print too much. Having a double action trigger on a semi-auto is a great middle ground for me. I have no complaints about it.

9mm are useless. I have a cop friend that shot a charging Pit Bull during a domestic FIVE times and didn't even slow it down. .45 is the only round.

9mm are useless

Absolutely useless. That must be why it's the leading handgun cartridge worldwide.

I don't know the situation, but I suspect shot placement played some role in your cop friend's failure to put down the dog.

Thats also why every military and police force in the world is going back to the .45. Its was a failed experiment. The Military discarded the 1911.45 for the 9mm but quickly found out in combat it was ineffective. And i'll bet shot placement wouldn't mean a damn thing if tat dog was hit ONCE with a .45 round.

JoeL.....the question is, did your friend actually HIT the charging pit bull? :confused:

Anyway, here's my new favorite 9mm mini.....my Taurus PT709 Slim. :cool:

I bought it two weeks ago and, to date, have 350 rounds down the pipe without a single hiccup. Goes "bang" every time! Very accurate out to 40 feet. Love the trigger on this thing too! :)

Another few hundred error-free rounds down range and there's a good chance this will become my EDC and replace my Taurus PT738...........

Joe L

Thats also why every military and police force in the world is going back to the .45. Its was a failed experiment.

Supporting data please...? Absent such, you're trolling IMO. And yes I can name "some" but far from "every"...? Heck, some agencies use .357SIG as standard side-arm and so on down the line...

The Military discarded the 1911.45 for the 9mm but quickly found out in combat it was ineffective. .

Once again, supporting data please...?

Now if I were in the Military I would indeed prefer the .45 over the 9mm only because they are forced to use ball-ammo only (obligatory) and my view is that the 'bigger the hole the better' (*for ball-ammo*). But I am not so I can load my mags with state-of-the-art HP, EFMJ or the like ammo which is far different than ball-ammo in every gel test I have seen.

Point is everyone is entitled to an opinion but to make empirical or categorical like statements requires supporting data.

--Happy Holidays

Diamondback DB9. About the smallest 9mm made. Very reliable 6+1
Not rated for +P, but shoots everything else just fine.

I bought the Beretta Nano when they first came out. I had nothing but failure to eject/ feed problems. Beretta denied they had a problem and blamed their malfunctions on ammo, (the same ammo every other gun was shooting ok). People who had sent theirs back to the factory were having the same problem when they got it back. I did not trust the gun, and I could not sell it in good conscious, so I waited a year and sent mine in and Beretta rebuilt it replacing a bunch of stuff. I did not shoot it after getting it back. It is for sale on consignment at the present time. My advice, don't buy a used Nano. The new ones appear to be ok.

As far as the 9mm not being a good caliber, A heck of a lot of people, (and deer out of season), are killed with a .22lr. If you are such a bad shot that you need to stop an attack by hitting someone in an extremity with a big bore gun, where are all your other bullets going? Hopefully not into innocent bystanders.

Last edited:
I did get the Boberg XR-9S. It's tiny, as small as the Rohrbaugh.
Holds 7+1 rounds, is rated for +P 9mm ammo and has an amazing 3.35" barrel in such a tiny little pistol.
The slide is ridiculously easy to manipulate and the rotary barrel lock up makes it very accurate.
I'm in love.

BobergXR9-S002_zps9dc42680.jpg

Was an Airborne Ranger for 6 years (84 to 90...3rd Batt,) and a fire arms instructor with Delaware Valley Sports for 11 years....used a .45 as a side arm in the service and when they switched to the Baretta 9mm..we all laughed at it.

You want a 9mm...go ahead...get one...but you'd be better off throwing it at your assailant than shooting him with it.

9mm is only more popular around the world because its cheap to produce and NATO uses it.....for now.

The smallest round i would even consider for self defense is the 40 S&W.

US Armed forces -

MEU(SOC) pistol (.45 ACP) (MEU(SOC))
Kimber ICQB (.45 ACP) (USMC MARSOC)
Mk 23 Mod 0 (.45 ACP) (USSOCOM)
SIG P229R DAK (.40 S&W) (USCG)
M1911A1 (.45 ACP) (Army, Marines, USSOCOM)
Heckler & Koch HK45C (.45 ACP) (Naval Special Warfare)

Glock 22 (.40 S&W) (Delta Force)
HK P11 (Underwater Pistol) (SOCOM)

The military is restricted to what bullet design they can use. If they where allowed hollow points, then a comparison would be valid.
Most of these groups use a rifle as a primary weapon. The pistol is there only if something happens to the rifle.

Was an Airborne Ranger for 6 years (84 to 90...3rd Batt,)

Cool!! Thanks for your service...

When I made this thread, I was looking for a pocket pistol. But its all good, cause I already have my new gun now and its a 38 special.

Basically, two of my buddys have mini 9s, and I've shot both of them, and I couldn't find one that I liked, and erm.. The thread gave me a lot of directions to go in, but somehow I still wound up passing on all of them.

I don't know how you feel about the 38 special. I have a Glock in 40 but this being Florida.. "day in, day out, ccw of a big pistol is a pita."

I bought some Federal Premium SD ammo in 38 today. I specifically asked for, "not +p"

I'm feeling, "pretty well armed." But hey, I'm not living in, "Chicago, Phoenix, or Mexico City."

Beretta Nano 9mm for me. Love quality/fit/finish, and I shoot it well.

And most importantly, I carry it.

Goes bang everytime so far. Tack driver 25 yds and closer.

Critical Defense HP current ammo. Built for 3" barrels.

SIG 938 and Glock 26 just didn't do it for me.

Last edited:
The military is restricted to what bullet design they can use. If they where allowed hollow points, then a comparison would be valid.
If I was restricted to FMJ only then I would preferably choose the 45acp over the 9mm anyday.

to the OP: Sig P938 is my new fav mini 9mm

Was an Airborne Ranger for 6 years (84 to 90...3rd Batt,) and a fire arms instructor with Delaware Valley Sports for 11 years....used a .45 as a side arm in the service and when they switched to the Baretta 9mm..we all laughed at it.

You want a 9mm...go ahead...get one...but you'd be better off throwing it at your assailant than shooting him with it.

9mm is only more popular around the world because its cheap to produce and NATO uses it.....for now.

Thank you for your service. Assuming identical non-CNS hits on the same aggressive and determined BG, what makes a .40/.45 more effective than 9mm?
Yes, the caliber is larger but does that increase bleedout rate enough to alter the outcome of the encounter (ie: incapacitation from blood loss within a few seconds instead of minutes/hours)?
Tomac

Back