What would you ask a gun mfgr to build?

How about a new M1 carbine maybe in .357 magnum or at least optionally in .357 so we'd have it in a commonly available caliber

Hello Moonglum,,,

How about a new M1 carbine maybe in .357 magnum or at least optionally in .357 so we'd have it in a commonly available caliber

I could definitely get behind that,,,
Especially if they guaranteed it would also feed .38 Special.

Aarond

I would like to see an affordable (between $450-$650) single action only or SA/DA 10mm pistol. One that is either a really strong polymer frame or a nice beefy steel/alloy frame gun with a nice slim grip and/or interchangeable backstraps. I know that tanfoglio makes a 10mm DA/SA but I have heard a lot of problems, and glock makes the G20 and I have owned one buy the grip is mmmuch too large, even the SF and even the Gen4. Grip feel and size is more important than capacity. I just would like a nice quality durable 10mm that fits my hand but doesn't cost $1200+

I also would like to see a new or a few new autoloader pistol calibers. Maybe a .43 auto, like the automatic version of a .44special. or a .47/.48 caliber, which would be low pressure/low velocity but have increased lethality/performance over the .45acp but not have very much more recoil. Maybe like a .45acp+p (like a 300gr .48 golddot at 850fps)

I know there are already a couple choices out there, but I'd really like to see a more pistol caliber carbines out there at prices worth buying. Ideally they would accept commonly available pistol magazines i.e. Glock/beretta/sig/smith and be under about 500$. Again, I know there are some out there but nothing that really fits the bill of what I'm looking for.

In sum, a dedicated 9mm rifle that accepts Glock or similar magazines for 500$ and isn't a high point or keltec.

For years I been saying these two revolvers need to me manufactured by Ruger:

A Single Six in .327 Federal

A Super Blackhawk 5 shot in .480 Ruger

Now I have both so you never know.

I would like to see Ruger introduce again or Lipsey’s put out a run of Blackhawks in .357 Maximum.

In sum, a dedicated 9mm rifle that accepts Glock or similar magazines

Now that you mention it, why haven't Glock ever delved into the rifle market?

With a largely "Agency" customer base, I'd have thought that a manoeuvrable 9mm carbine job with the old 33rd Glock mag would be quite an interesting proposition.

What I believe would sell faster than they could make would be a set of pump rifles made in 25 auto, 32 auto and 9MM auto, based on the old Winchester 61 and 62 designs but scaled up to use the larger shells. Such guns can be shot with reloaded ammo cheaper than a 22 LR can be bought. If such guns came with bullet molds and a hand press with dies it would be a boys dream. It hearkens back to the days of old when boys could own a small bore rifle for running in the woods and creaks and they could actually afford to shoot them.
Brass life is very good in all 3 calibers and in a pump gun you don't loose it as much as you do an auto.
Used with a cast bullet of a tumble lube design the bullets could be made very very cheep. The powder charge even in the "big" 9mm is only about 5 grains. the most expensive part of the load would be the primer.

Such guns need to be made to a HIGH quality standard, but if they were they would re-open a market that is being ignored.

Such a rifle combo would not be cheap. Winchester M61s and M62s were not either in their day, but that didn't stop the sales because they were outstanding guns and once purchased they would last for 60-100 years.

Wyosmith,
Its always nice to know I'm not the only dreamer. Those are old expensive design for a budget youthcentric product. Most youth want semi-auto. As much as I reload and will let my kids shoot at a fairly young age, they won't be reloading with live powder, lead, residue in fired cases, etc until they are well past the youthful exploring the woods phase.

Yes the auto-loader is what killed the pump, but the price of 22 is what may bring it back if someone was to listen to this idea.
The 25ACP, 32ACP and 9mm are all reloadable and with a pump (or maybe later, lever and bolt actions) you don't loose much brass so reloading those small shells is a realistic option.

Another design that could be promising is the Ithica M37 shotgun, scaled down to work with pistol shells. It could be made even a bit simpler than the shotguns because a loading port can be places in the tubular magazine like we saw on most tube-mag 22s made until the 70s. So the feed system only needs to feed and eject, and no provision needs be made for bottom loading, although it might be a good way to make them to load just like the 37. Who knows. I have not done any work on this yet, so as of today I can't say.
I am hopefully going to make a few of these someday in my shop, but my paying work keeps getting in my way. Making such guns from bar stock is fun, but it doesn't pay the bills.

The 25 ACP would be the closest thing we could get to a 22 LR and still reload for it. I never thought much of it for it's intended purpose (handguns) but as a small bore rifle round it has very serious potential.
50 grain bullets would be very cheap to make and you'd get 140 of them from only 1 pound of lead. 1400 from a 10 pound pot of lead.
Today a pound of lead costs $1.50, so each bullet will cost (today) 1.1 cents.

Powder charges go in the 1 to 1.5 grain range. So the powder will cost about 1/4 cent per shot.

The primer is a whopping 4 cents each.

I think young boys and most men would get all starry-eyed about such a combination.

Last edited:
add me to the 9mm revolver list, make mine an SP101 3" barrel + adj rear sight, hell i would be happy with adj rear sight on the current 3" SP101, i do prefer blued steel guns, cerakote would be fine as well. a 357 revolver style carbine would be nice as well while i am dreaming!!!!!

Looks like I may have a chance at getting a NEW Automag...

12717726_10154026972032526_5383592531134724892_n.jpg

And apparently, blued will be an option!

http://www.thenewautomag.com/

I want S&W to make the 66 3" again for a reasonable price, and I want Ruger to make their 4" trail style redhawk in an 8 shot .357 flavor. I know I can buy the Smith version in the 627 but the Ruger would save me a few hundred bucks.

Post #6 (5.7x28 1911) is speaking to a point I've been making in threads like this for a few years... Why the heck aren't at least a couple major brands producing a 5.7x28mm that's easier-to-carry i.e. "smaller-than-an-FN-Five-Seven"? Say, like 14 rds. instead of 20 and about an inch shorter. Seems to me a well-designed one would be VERY popular!

Steel framed Beretta 92. And, a frame mounted safety version of the 92FS with a steel frame... At an affordable price, not at $2k+

How about a Browning 1911/22 in all stainless steel.
What do you think that would add to the cost? $100? $150? I'd be interested. I'm hesitant to buy the aluminum framed ones b/c I can see myself putting a very high round count through one. 20,000+ rounds if I don't like it all that much. Not sure about an aluminum frame

Another one sprang to mind....

I'd coerce and badger Ruger into making a SRH Alaskan with 4" barrel.

.44 or .454: eitherway with an unfluted cylinder.

ARE YOU LISTENING, RUGER?!

Back