What would you ask a gun mfgr to build?

A classically styled vent rib, full lug barrel on high quality magnum revolvers.

Ruger GP and Redhawk or
S&W L and N frames
What the heck, X frame too. No porting either. Man up!

Lengths should include 6". 357, 7" .44-.45 and 8" X frame.

Dan Wesson revolvers were pretty close to what I want. Preferably blued.

Oh yes, and great target sights. Something like a Bowen rear, Patridge front.

It occurs to me that this handgun would not be entirely unlike a Python. :D

Last edited:
what would you ask gun mfg to build

Colt 1911 long slide. with barrels in 10mm and barrel in 9x25 dillon, a barrel in .22TCM with 10mm magazine base designed to hold the .22TCM and feed from the 10mm frame, a Slide for 9mm fitted to the 10mm frame allowing longer heavier bullets up to 55 grain in gun.
Also a 38Super barrel fitted to the frame and slide.
Also a .40 barrel fitted to the 10mm Colt.
So one frame, two slides,five barrels, two magazines for one frame.
Then maybe the 10mm slide and frame with a higher capacity cartridge base o on the .280 necked down to .22 allowing more powder capacity behind the .2 45 and 55 grain and 62 grain bullets and 2500+ fps possible from the the 1911 10mm frame and slide.
And without studying the dimensions, maybe a fit the 7.62x25 hot rod in a 1911. Might want a bigger link and pin, and maybe a bit of change in dimension aimed toward strength.
Like S&W did with the Hi Power design for 10mm.
Conceivably one frame could accomodate all of them with the magazine being the differences along with a barrl and spring package.

Second the .357maximum/.357magnum/.38 chamber in the Henry or other carbines. The shell lifter would not need changing I think but maby a chnge in the magazine shell stop.
Do the same thing with .460/.454Casull/.45Colt carbine.
and then the .44 calibers.
Would be simple to do and multiply sales of the carbines and ammo.
A .460 carbine, I know of only one very high priced, I saw in a magazine.
Precludes most people buying it.
Many want more velocity of the big magnums and new bullet designs, and with polymer tips keep them from going off in the magazine.

PPK/S in 9mm

Title says it all. I'd love a pocketable pistol with all of the characteristics of the PPK/S with more oomph. It would have to be a little larger I'm sure but probably not much.

A break top revolver with removable and interchangeable barrels and cylinders that way if I wanted to pocket carry a .32 with a 2 inch barrel in the city, but if out in the country the next day I wanted it to be a .357 with a 6 inch target barrel all I'd have to do is unscrew a bolt and slap on the accessory pieces.

Would be cool to go from .22 up to .44 Special or .45 Colt in a variety of barrel lengths that fit my desire.

Not sure if I want this to be a 5 or 6 shot.

PPK/S in 9mm
Title says it all. I'd love a pocketable pistol with all of the characteristics of the PPK/S with more oomph. It would have to be a little larger I'm sure but probably not much.
It's called the Remington R51. They use the Pedersen designed tilting breach block to delay case extraction, the barrel is fixed like the straight blow back design of the Walther which could not handle 9MM Luger pressure. A couple of other results of the design are reduced spring tension on the slide making it easier to rack, and lower recoil.

I love the posts recommending the break top revolvers, that would be my pick! I would like one chambered in .22 lr, and one in .41 or .44 magnum.

To be fair, the top break revolver design is weaker than modern designs and I don't think you could get away with it in 41 or 44.

As to my specific wants... Probably a blued small version of the vaquero with 4" barrel in 45LC with wood grips built stout enough for warmer loads. Not necessarily the "ruger only" loads, but some warmer than your average 45 colt loadings.

Said it before, I'll say it again. A normal looking 9mm carbine for $500 or less that accepts Glock magazines. Cheap enough so it justifies shooting 9mm instead of 5.56 and standardizes magazines.

A dedicated .22 Glock in the small frame sizes.

More options for pump rifles.

A mini14 that accepts stanag magazines. Not interested in buying another .223 rifle and adequate magazines when I already have the AR game covered.

A SW shield with a rail - of the xds has one why can't the shield?

A SW manufactured revolver carbine based on the MP R8/627 kind of revolvers they make. Eight shots of .357 out of a 16" barrel would be cool. Or a governor carbine. Heck, any revolver carbine from them.

This one is Massachusetts specific, but, I wish more newly released pistols would use common magazines that existed before the '94 awb, 92fs pattern, Glock, 226, SW 3rd gen, etc

Last edited:
I would like to see someone design a working and reliable copy of the Colt 1877 Lightning with internal innards that weren't prone to breakage. Maybe Colt 1877 exterior with S&W style interior?

Fantasy, of course, but I would like to see mfrs collaborate with ammo makers and offer 41 Special double action revolvers, so that carry size big bores can bear 6 rounds and have manageable recoil while serious in power. I have one, but the gun and conversion cost me over $1200 and was almost a two year project untill gun was in hand. I have to make my own ammo, but Starline at least supports the brass.

My Glock 22 or 1911 could perhaps serve the same purpose and more but lacks the charm of a revolver. Cutting the existing guns to 5 rounds for the sake of concealed carry seems to be a forced fit to me. I would do 5 rounds more happily if it was necessary for something really small in a lighter caliber, typically 38 Special.

I have another one:

More bolt action rifles with tubular magazines, especially in rimless pistol cartridge chamberings. Can you imagine a bolt gun with tube magazine and a 20 inch barrel in 9mm? You'd have a super short action because of the short cases, a huge capacity in the tube, and very little recoil.

I'd also like to see rimmed revolver cartridges in a tube fed bolt gun too. Yeah, there's lots of lever guns out there, but we all know the lever action design is not as good as a bolt gun, nor anywhere near as accurate. Give me a .327 in a bolt gun and that thing will shoot so flat and group so much better that'd I'd probably be able to hit a 5 inch plate at 300 yards with it every time.

I want ruger to build a line of GP100 and Super Redhawks that are performance center quality In appearance, in tuned action as well , and accuracy

I want ruger to build a line of GP100 and Super Redhawks that are performance center quality In appearance, in tuned action as well , and accuracy

You willing to pay Freedom Arms prices for that?

I'd like to see a 40 caliber magnum. I worked the design out many years ago but there weren't any selection of 40 caliber bullets like there are today. It would use 30-30 as a parent case cut to 1.3" for the magnum and 1.7 inches for a "Super Mag" version. with a designed operating pressure of 45000 psi it would be a perfect choice in a 6 to 8 inch Super Blackhawk or a the big Red Hawk from Ruger.
If Colt or Smith could make a solid framed design (no side plates) it could be a great way to introduce another useless magnum looking for a niche to fit.
I'd buy it just to see if it could do what I believe it could.

The GP100 Match Champion is as nice as I need, and I do own one with the adjustable sights, but like many have said, I would rather not have all the script on the barrels. I don't really need the slab sides, but there isn't a lot you can do to make it look special, and it does remove a bit of weight. I would much rather have a plain Jane GP100 but with a half lug bull barrel, 4" with compact grip. That is pretty much a reissue of the Security Six concept but with a more concealable grip frame. rather than being an LE gun.

I would like to see Ruger or S&W bring out a suppressor ready revolver, most likely in .38 special or .45 acp w/ moon clips. There would have to be some kind of modified cylinder to fit against the forcing cone a certain way for it to really work good. Something like the old nagant revolvers with a threaded barrel, raised sights, but able to use modern ammunition.

Back