What was your very first handgun?

First Handgun

RugerMark19NSN.jpg

Back in 1990 I came back from a remote tour in Korea to find that the ex-wife to be had sold the Ruger Standard that I had inherited from my father. I tried to recover it but that wasn't happening.

Last week I ran into a Ruger Standard/Mark I made in 1972. She sports a 4 1/2 inch barrel and is in great shape. I had to clean the manufacturers oil out of her it had hardened after 40 years of sitting around.

Prior to this I had acquired a Mark II (Top Right) and a Mark III 22-45.

Mine was nothing really special, a S&W Bodyguard .380. It is special to me though because it was my first gun period, besides an old bb gun my dad gave to me when I was younger.

in 1962 I bought a 1911 colt that had been modified for target shooting. very accurate pistol. My son has the pistol now and will probably give it to his son.

First handgun

My first revolver was an H&R 9 shot revolver. I had to sell it after only a few months after I bought it! It shaved lead so bad, nobody could stand near me when I shot it!:eek:

Beretta 21a Bobcat 22lr... '85-86 time frame... recently out of college. The ability to thoroughly conceal was paramount. Proven reliability and accuracy.

Sig p220 stainless, bought it twelve years ago, sold it seven years ago, somebody slap me please.
First gun period was a mossberg model 500, of course I still have that.

Last edited:
Ruger GP100. Got it because of it's reputation for reliability and because I liked how I could shoot 38 and 357. Great gun wish I still had it.

Smith and Wesson Model 28 Highway Patrolman

Bought from a Baptist minister FFL in Kentucky.

Arguably, the ugliest revolver Smith ever produced.

Also, arguably, among the most indestructable.

My first was in about 1970 it was a reproduction 1851 Navy Colt brass framed sheriff's model 44. cal.
My first wife liked it so much, she took it when we got divorced!

Back