What was your very first handgun?

SpareMag, have you seen the Governor? Or an X-frame?

Back to the OP: 1966 vintage S&W Model 18, that my parents bought for their anniversary, but later gave to me.

First bought was a stainless 4" Rossi 971 .357. Good gun for the money. Wish I still had it.

First given to me was a blue 4" Taurus 84 .38 special. Uncle's under counter gun at his little country store. Gave it to me when he retired. Still have it and it shoots great. Just had to replace the firing pin on it.

My first was a h and r 22 revolver, bought for me by Dad at age 6. My second wat a 1911 GI surplus again bought by Dad at Woolworth's Dept store off of a table of assorted surplus handguns in 1966. There were Luger, P38s, a wide assortment of surplus handguns. Nobody wanted the "Nazi" guns back then,lol.The 1911 cost me my summer work money I had saved up, a princely sum of 49.95. Surplus ball ammo was a penny a round.

Surplus rifles were stuffed unceremoniously into a 55 gallon drum next to the pistol table.

Those were good days. Man, I'm getting old....:D

First handgun was a ruger bearcat my grandfather purchased for me when I was around six. First centerfire was my g19. Still have both. Always will.

Here it is, a Ruger RST-6 a bit longer version of the first handgun I ever shot. My BIL's RST-4 put the handgun bug in me when I first shot it at around age 13 which would have been 1969. He had paid $59 for it NIB. In 1979, I bought the 6" version below, but the price had skyrocketed by then to an incredible $92.;) To this day it is still nearly perfect after thousands of rounds through and tons of plinking fun.

100_0486.jpg

Sevens,

Oh, geesh...had no idea Smith was cloning The Judge. THAT is an unfortunate corporate decision.

The X-frame I discount as an aberrant freak of nature, doomed to die at a young age, bereft of offspring simply because coupling with something like that is beyond the reach of civilized imaginings.

OTOH, you have proved your point that while my Mod 28 Highway Patrolman won't be named Homecoming Queen, at least it won't be tossed out of the prom.

My first was a Colt King Cobra 4" and my second was a Colt Pyton 6" I must have kicked myself 357 times for selling those two.....damn, I feel a kick coming my way!

OTOH, you have proved your point that while my Mod 28 Highway Patrolman won't be named Homecoming Queen,

You're right about that-it can't be the Homecoming Queen and Homecoming King at the same time!

Just curious, SpareMag: Does your dislike for the looks of a Model 28 extend to all Smith N-frames? And, if not, what distinguishes the Model 28 from all other N-frames in terms of being ugly in your eyes?

Well.......
The Model 28, separating itself from all the other N-frames, has the extremely dull, plain, "working man's" finish and it has a very bland top strap with none of the finishing touches we've come to know on Smith & Wesson revolvers.

However, along with the "Governor" and the X-frames, let us not so quickly forget the horrific "Bodyguard" and, well, at the risk of offending -- any of the hammerless snubbies (Centennial and the like) or the frame-shrouded hammer snubbies. While some may really enjoy that look, I think we can subjectively (mostly!) agree that all of these are easy example of Smith & Wesson revolvers that are far uglier than a solid, bruising Model 28.

Sig P226 9mm. Vaud police trade in. Still have it. Taking it to the range tonight. Am contemplating treating the ol' gal to new sights but is currently stock.

First handgun I inherited a 1942 Enfield No 2 Mk 1** when my grandfather passed.

First I purchased was a Sig Sauer STX 1911.

Still have and shoot both.

Ruger Redhawk stainless .44 Got it for my 16th birthday. Not a gun I would recomend to anyone for their first...

Still have it. Never get rid of it. Don't shoot it much.

Ruger Redhawk stainless .44 Got it for my 16th birthday. Not a gun I would recomend to anyone for their first...

Still have it. Never get rid of it. Don't shoot it much.
Interesting. While a .22 Ruger was my first, my second was also a stainless Ruger Redhawk. Mostly because I thought it to be the most beautiful .44 mag in the world. Still do, actually. Used to love to shoot it, but now haven't shot it in years.;)

Stevie-Ray, what was the .22 Ruger? Your first?

My second was a Ruger mk II .22/45

------------

Nevermind, I saw your post on an earlier page. Nice gun!

Back