What was your very first handgun?

Ruger P89. It was on long term loan from my Dad while in College. I returned it to him when I bought my P95, but It didnt take me long to add my own P89 to my collection.

CZ-52 7.62x25mm, still have it too.

66.jpg

The day I turned 21 in 1976 I went to the LGS and plunked down $125 for a Ruger New Model Blackhawk, 7-1/2" blue 45 Colt. I bought a couple boxes of Remington 255 LRN, made my own leather holster, and I was a "pistolero" by gawd!! A little while later I bought a pair of elephant ivory stocks for it for just $25.

Congratulations to the OP on a very popular post. You sure struck a chord. My first handgun was a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag back in the 80's. I'd lusted after it. Purchased it on my 21st Birthday. Still have it and it still looks like new.

Thompson Center Contender, first generation, 10 inch octogon barrels. I had .22lr, .357 and .44 mag. I figured one gun for everything. The first time I fired a .44 mag, the forend split into two pieces and went flying and I dislocated my thumb. I probably needed to work on my grip.

Beretta Neos.
Super fun, I am mostly a shotgun shooter, and hunting rifles. The Neos is super fun to shoot. I had it for only a week before I did a full trigger job, now it is smooth as butter with a 3lb break. Love it.

Now I have a Beretta 92fs. a bit more fun
Shawn

A used CZ75 in 1994 for $325. I bought it for the caliber, classic styling, and the cost. Although it was completely reliable, I was never the most accurate with it. I later traded it +$25 for a used Beretta 92FS and never looked back.

When I turned 12, my Dad bought me a RG single action western style .22 revolver. Man, I sure thought it was the greatest thing ever. Shortly after I got it, the ejector rod broke and I had to poke out the empties with a stick but I still loved that gun!

An Italian copy of a 1851 Navy Colt revolver, 1967 , brass framed, 36 cal, cap and ball. I wasn't 21 but there were no restrictions on black powder cap and ball revolvers so I could buy it. Price was an affordable $ 29.95 ( steel frame was $9.00 more). I wanted a gun to shoot , I could afford it and if it was good enough for " Wild Bill Hickcock " it was good enough for me. I burned a lot of powder shooting it and had a lot of fun...would still have it but a thief broke in my house and stole it. By then the gun was real loose and I had retired it from service. With insurance money I got a new steel frame replica so I guess it all worked out.
Gary

G23. Wish I still had it. I sold it before I knew I could get a 9mm barrel for it. I didn't appreciate the .40's snappy recoil. Especially as my first gun.

Mine was old school! I was 5yrs old and my dad let me pick it out at the gs and I still have it today. It was a kit. 45cal. Cva philadelphia derringer had it made for the big party of 1976!

A Bersa Thunder .380. It jammed up a lot. I eventually traded it for a nice camper shell for my truck after a friend sold the same truck sans camper shell and was willing to do an even trade.

As soon as I turned 21, I bought my first handgun, a Kimber Custom Target in .45 ACP. This was right in the middle of the Crime Bill's 10-round magazine restriction, so I decided there was no reason to buy a handgun that could hold more than 10 rounds if I could only find 10-round mags.

S&W 586, about 1989. Like a fool I sold it a few years afterward, so later I got a 686 (1996) To replace the "loss".

I still have it, but I still haven't replaced that irritating Hogue mono grip with a nice set of rosewood or walnut stocks. Someday soon...

Back