What was your very first handgun?

I guess technically it wasn't "mine". It used to be at auctions and farm sales that late in the day, they would offer miscellaneous boxes of small articles. Dad bought one - must have been something in there that interested him - for like a buck. But included was an old break top 5-shot revolver (H&R I think). No grips. It got tossed in a desk. Some time in high school I found this thing, carved some grips out of scrap walnut, and went looking for ammo. Sure enough, the hardware store came up with a dusty box of .32 S&W. No questions in those days; I bought it. This old belly gun was lucky to hit a pop can at 10 feet. Fired every time, though. Someone in the family still has it.

Ruger single six convertible that I bought in Key West in 1962 when I was in the Navy. My son has it now and it is still as pretty as the day I bought it.

Still gets shot quite a bit.

Glock 19. It was ok but after shooting a beretta 92 S&W M&P and acsig 226, sold the Glock never looked back.

OK, wait a minute. Does the title of this post ask what the first handgun we ever fired, or what the first handgun we owned?

The first handgun I ever fired was, believe it or not, a .44 Auto Mag. If anyone doesn't know, the cartridge was made from a cut-off .308 case sized for a .44 cal bullet. Like a dummy, I did not have any hearing protection on and only shot one round. That was enough for me! Other than the temporary hearing loss, it was nice to shoot.

Lou

The first handgun I ever bought was a Ruger Security Six, bought used in a pawn shop in 1981. I had taken a job in law enforcement and the agency required that I carry a revolver made either by Colt, SW, or Ruger in .357 magnum of .38 Special. I knew absolutely nothing about revolvers, having carried a 1911A1 in the Army. So, I bought the cheapest approved revolver I could find. I paid $175.00 for it and the counter guy threw in a box of match wadcutters. I took it to the range later and found out that it was a tack-driver. I could easily keep those wadcutters in a 2" group at 25 yards.

I traded that revolver later for a clean used no-dash Model 66, which I carried until I retired.

Mine is a Smith and Wesson 12-2, that was given to me by my Grandfather. It will always be my favorite gun, and will one day pass it down to my daughter. :)

First I bought was a Ruger P-85. Couldn't hit the broad-side of a barn - even if you were IN THE BARN. I'm glad it didn't turn me off of autos forever though, my Beretta 92FS I had later was awesome!

Wish I still had the S&W Model 19 6", but college funds dried up, so...

The only one of my early gun purchases I still have is my S&W 686 6" with Power Port. Never selling it, and now she's nestled in the safe with several other .357s to keep her company. :)

Mine was a Springfield Armory P9c. It was a very well made CZ clone.

Springfield002r.jpg

First handgun was a WW II era Polish Radom. $125 out the door. My Father had to buy it for me because I was underage at the time.

The first handgun I bought after hitting 21 was a Charter Arms Off Duty .38.

A late-1980s Ruger MkII Target.

A friend of mine actually bought it new, then he gave it to me to hang on to when he moved to no-handguns-allowed Chicago. He never asked for it back, and I haven't seen or heard from him in 25 years so I guess it's mine now! :p

My first was a Beretta model 86 .380 tilt barrel.
I had all kinds of problems with FTF,FTE etc... Traded it in for a 92fs and never looked back.
Turns out that there was probably nothing wrong with that gun other than operater error:o All the things that a new handgunner does wrong, limpwristing, proper sight picture etc.
I guess we all have to start somewhere.:)

Smith & Wesson Model 19 "Combat Magnum." No idea what "dash" model it was. Traded it off about a year later for a Colt Government Model. Bought, sold, and traded a lot of them since then.

My 1st was a Ruger SBH 357 mag.
I wish I still had it.
I can't prove it but I think my ex got off with it.
It came up missing right after she moved out.

Re: What your very first handgun?

My first was a Ruger SR9c. I just got into shooting last year. I have no idea what took me so long but im hooked now. Ive already added two SIGS, a 290RS and a 1911 Nightmare Carry.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, mine was a Hawes Western Marshal in 22lr. Traded it for a Ruger Mk1 standard model.

I was between 10-12 years of age when I was given GrandPa's Ole .45… However, I had access to and shot it quite regularly way before then.

Back