What was your very first handgun?

first pistol

My first pistol was a Charter Arms .44 special bulldog pug. It was a blued snubnose.
I traded it when I got a smith 686 4" stainless.
I remember being able to see the flat based bullets of the .44 flying toward the target and thinking they were weak.

What your very first handgun?

At the age of 24, I bought my first handgun. It was a High Standard Sport King LR with a 5.5" barrel. I quickly changed the plastic grips with checkered walnut grips with right thumb rest that had the HS logo in the grip. Today, others on the range asked me where I got it. It's not manufactured anymore, but it looks like the day I bought it. (Now 64 y/o)

Mine was a Ruger Mark I T-678, purchased used in 1981. I was just getting into shooting at the age of 28. Wonderful gun, shoots perfectly, and I doubt I will ever get rid of it.

A 22LR H&R 676 and a most terrible gun it was, I've never felt the urge to get another because it was my first gun.

After my Dad passed away, Mom took me out to a friend of the family who was an avid hunter, handloader and kitchen table FFL and that was my first opportunity to burn real powder from firearms -- lots of air rifle and BB gun shooting up until that time.

First handgun I ever shot was a Ruger Single Six.
First center fire I ever shot was a Ruger Security Six, with .357 Magnum ammo. Both of these belonged to him. Also shot the Colt Challenger that had been my Dad's (Mom's now, and will go to my brother.) Not at all long after that trip, Mom found a Sportsman's Club one town over and we went and I ended up shooting four position smallbore... shooting skeet... and spending a -LOT- of time on the outdoor range when I wasn't doing the others. Mom get sucked in by the club to manage their finances and she agreed to do it to support my shooting.

And following that summer, Mom shocked me with my Christmas present... a brand new Smith & Wesson Model 17-6, six inch barrel with target trigger and target hammer. :eek: I've been surprised by a gift on different occasions over the course of my life, but never so more than on THAT Christmas, 1988. In fact, she had planned to buy a nice condition but used High Standard rimfire semi-auto from a gent at the Club, but when he fished it out of his safe to find a broken firing pin, she had to make alternate plans and she called up the guy who got me started and ordered the new K-frame.

Obviously, I still have that Model 17-6. It's amazing. And I'm reminded again how much I need to thank my Mom for all she did to support my love for this whole big thing I'm knee-deep in. :D

Browning "Challenger" .22 with 6 1/2" barrel and large wood grip. Still have it after 40+ years, no pics though. Later added a 4 1/2" barrel and the slimmer "Nomad" plastic grip for carry.

4 inch stainless Ruger gp100.I was 23.I got a shoulder holster for it.Wife and I went for pizza and it came with me.The pizza place was so hot and I couldnt take my jacket off!!:p

My first was actually a Benjamin pellet pistol. Killed many a squirrel with it while hunting deer with both bow and rifle. In 1972 bought my first centerfire handgun, a brand spankin' new Blackhawk in .44 mag. Durn thing hurt my ears and hands so bad I traded it off for a SxS grouse gun. Wish like 'ell I would thought about changin' grips and wearing ear plugs, cause it would be nice to still have it. Took me almost a decade to buy my next centerfire handgun and have been accumulating them on a regular basis ever since.

Beretta NEOs. back when 500 packs of golden bullets were 5 bucks, those were the days... I loved shooting so much our started complaining. :o Who would've known that little gun would spark something that's become so important to me. It showed guns weren't just for hunting, and the obsession began.

First one I bought for myself was my Browning Hi Power. Still have it. :D

First one I used regularly was my grandfather's Colt New Service .45 LC.

The first handgun I ever shot was a Smith & Wesson model 29, in .44 mag of course at the age of 14 ... this was before Dirty Harry made the 29 and .44 mag a household word! I believe the first handgun that I actually owned and acquired on my own was a Second Generation Colt Peacemaker, 5 1/2-inch, in 45 Colt. I had moved out at 18 at the Government's expense ... The US Navy... It was bought in 1970 or so... Memory is bad as times goes by ... what I saying here .... OH,,, A Colt!!!

PS: I have been haunted by selling that gun for years and years, and just this year I replaced it with another Colt Peacemaker made in 1956! I still feel like I cheated on my original love, but I did what I could to do what was right!

Attachments

• Colt-1956.jpg
    Colt-1956.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Back