well shucks

If I vote my principles, my vote is not wasted.

If you believe that voting for one person rather than another is a wasted vote then, ultimately, any vote that is not for the winner is a wasted vote.
Tell you what, I'll wait for the November elections, find out the winner, then vote, ok? Wouldn't want to waste my vote, you know.:rolleyes:

marko, you really think we are guaranteed our independence? have a nice day ya'll vote as American as you see fit. Even to vote for fictitious cartoon characters or non existent candidates...
Brent

Which taxes are you referring to ? Reagan cut federal income taxes way down. The top rate was 70%, he lowered it to 50%. The bottom rate was 14%, he lowered it to 11%.

Social security benefits used to be tax free. I believe it was Reagan who began taxing benefits. It was very smooth though, described as not a tax hike but a rather a reduction in entitlements.

Social security benefits used to be tax free. I believe it was Reagan who began taxing benefits. It was very smooth though, described as not a tax hike but a rather a reduction in entitlements.

That's interesting that you bring up social security benefits. My recollection from the Reagan years was that while he claimed to not raise taxes (in fact, he lowered them), the social security tax was rising rapidly every year. And since social security revenue was put into some sort of "general fund", instead of held separate for social security payments as it should have been, it was effectively a tax increase. However, I don't know who is responsible for the social security increases, and I don't know who is responsible for diverting it into the "general fund".

But my memory could be faulty.

And to all you arch conservatives who complain that the Republican Party did not give you a conservative nominee, why couldn't you offer a conservative candidate who could inspire the vast center needed to win. Politics is about building coalitions. If you cop a "my way or the highway" attitude, you will be left on the side of the road.

Simply put, the conservative side failed to produce a viable candidate. The conservatives must assume responsibility for that and not blame others -- or don't you conservatives believe in individual responsibility any more.

Yes, I do. And McCain's personal actions are responsible for not getting my vote.

You seem to imply that because my guy isn't in it, that I should be voting for your guy. All that my guy losing means is that my guy lost. It does not confer upon me a responsibility to vote for any other person.

Let me see now. I am personnally responsible for my guy not being selected. And, if I don't vote for your guy, I will be responsible for a Dem getting elected. WOW, I have a lot of power, and responsibility. And I still see no advantage to electing McCain over the Dems,
If you can't get him elected without me, then that responsibility is on you. DO NOT BLAME ME.

Better yet, let's agree to disagree, and not blame each other for whatever happens.

Well, you and some of your friends have complained about the Republican Party not giving you a candidate to vote for, and I'm just pointing out that it seems that your side wasn't able offer a candidate who could win the nomination.

As to blaming you for Obama, etc., it's not a question of blame. It's a simple fact that by not voting for McCain you will help Obama/Hillary, and I must conclude, therefore, that you'd rather see Obama/Hillary in the White House, because that is the natural consequence of your actions. You seem strangely reluctant to admit that, however. Of course, that is your right. I'm free, however, to question your motives and judgment without necessarily assigning blame.

I must conclude, therefore, that you'd rather see Obama/Hillary in the White House, because that is the natural consequence of your actions. You seem strangely reluctant to admit that, however
You must have missed this in my earlier post (#16)
"I think there are some advantages to having a Democrat violator rather than a Republican violator."
So you see, I have admitted that. It doesn't really matter to me either way, if I can't have a Constitutionist. With the current options, I can't. So enjoy whatever president we get. I am sure that I will not.

More animosity. Whod'a thunk it?

I will vote for whoever I feel like voting for. If the McCain loses because I didn't vote for him, that's the Republicans' fault.

Yep. What GoSlash said.

Sorry, partisans. I admire your loyalty but I'll be voting for the individual who, in my amateur opinion, is the best one for the job.

If -- speaking hypothetically, of course -- the two main parties put forth candidates who all have no respect for the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and their own oaths to preserve and defend same, those candidates would, in point of fact, not be good prospects for the job of Chief Executive.

And if some simpering leftie does get the gig, it will be despite my efforts; it'll be the fault of those who did vote for such a person. And it just might cause the more conservative elements in Congress to pause from divvying up the pork with their liberal pals and remember the silly ol' documents that are supposed to define and constrain the federal government of these all-too-united States.

We're already in the handbasket and headed for warmer places; the ticket's punched and folks are arguing about how steep the slope otta be? Well, it's a hobby.

The Republican party dosen't own my vote.

Our votes do not 'belong' to anyone they are ours and the candidates have to earn them.

Its early days yet, I recently heard that McCain regrets(I'll bet he does now that hes the republican presidential nominee) his immigration bill he co-authored with Ted Kennedy.

Now he claims that he heard the overwhelming opposition to his amnesty plan and that border security is paramount.

Now my question is which McCain to believe, the new more conservative McCain ala his speech to CPAC or the old McCain/Feingold, Gang of Fourteen, as the press likes to call him 'maverick' who collaborates with leftists?

Which McCain will we get if he gets in office?

And to all you arch conservatives who complain that the Republican Party did not give you a conservative nominee, why couldn't you offer a conservative candidate who could inspire the vast center needed to win. Politics is about building coalitions. If you cop a "my way or the highway" attitude, you will be left on the side of the road.

I don’t consider myself an archconservative. Just want a candidate that would obey the Constitution, leave my money in my pocket and yours in yours, and aggressively defend the interests of our country.

The Republicans no longer seem to be the party that can do the job. Maybe it’s the Republican party that needs to "be left on the side of the road". Maybe the current situation is a function of that process. The process will be lengthy and painful, but seems to me, voting for a liberal just because he’s a Republican would only serve to prolong the agony.

What a continued bunch of balderdash.

I don't care what your reasons are for supporting Obama (Hillary). That's simply the end results of your actions, no matter how you want to spin it.

Nice example of binary thinking there, fiddletown..."if you're not with us, you're against us" and all that stuff.

I don't care what your reasons are for supporting Obama (Hillary). That's simply the end results of your actions, no matter how you want to spin it.

So what?

In light of your sneering contempt for those who are unwilling to pick between two piles of poop for lunch, and your insistence to dismiss any arguments in favor of picking "neither" as "balderdash", I'm even considering voting for the Liberal directly.

If they'd let you dedicate votes to someone, like those dollar donation paper thingies they put up at the local grocery store, I'd do just that and put your name and IP address on it, just because I know it would give you the warm and fuzzies.

If you're trying to make an argument for your guy, you need to re-evaluate your strategy. "You're a commie-loving dummy if you don't vote for McCain" won't exactly make people flock to your banner there.

Incidentally...
While Rep. Paul has admitted that he will not win the nomination, but he has not (and will not) dropped out of the race. He is still running and wants every delegate he can get.
So if you are so inclined, continue to vote, donate, and volunteer for the (still existent) campaign.
In his own words, Elections are short-term projects, while revolutions are long-term.

Sen. Obama has the distinction of being rated as the most liberal senator in 2007. Imagine, beating out the likes of Schumer, Durbin, Feinstein, Kennedy, Boxer, etc.

And yet some here, who describe themselves as "conservative", say they will vote for Obama rather than McCain. Truly bizarre.

What a continued bunch of balderdash.

I guess McCain is your kinda guy and the Republican party is your kind of party. It's OK... we welcome all points of view here. Some of us have or are in the process of finding our party no longer represents our interests and are content with watching it crash and burn.

Sen. Obama has the distinction of being rated as the most liberal senator in 2007. Imagine, beating out the likes of Schumer, Durbin, Feinstein, Kennedy, Boxer, etc.

And yet some here, who describe themselves as "conservative", say they will vote for Obama rather than McCain. Truly bizarre.

Hey, I've never claimed the label "conservative".

Truthfully? I'd rather see some hyper-liberal idealist in the White House who'll re-energize Republican opposition to big Government and cause gridlock in the process, than some wishy-washy Centrist who will make the conservatives continue their pork-induced coma for another four or eight years, where they can only be bothered to lift their heads out of the trough long enough to rubber-stamp some more of the kind of nonsense they've been rubber-stamping since 2001.

Back