Walmart to end ammunition sales of handgun ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well near half the country has been brainwashed into progressivism, it’s time for the rest to be dragged in unwillingly.
Soon you won’t be able to use a bank or other financial institution to purchase firearm related items. It will end up like the marijuana shops are now, cash only and they track your real ID to make sure you don’t make multiple purchases.

However, I support private businesses right to make whatever decisions they want.

Walmart will likely dump intermediate rifle ammo that's mainly in semi auto rifles (5.56/.223, 7.62x39) and semi auto pistol ammo like 9/40/45, but I don't see them stopping .22 ammo sales and I think it would be stupid of them to dump revolver ammo that is used frequently by hunters in rifles.

.44 Mag is a very popular deer rifle caliber for short to medium ranges, .357 to some extent too.

I don't have an issue with Walmart asking people not to open carry, after that dope with the AR went walking around a Walmart I asked myself if I was a cop or a concealed carrier what I would have done. At this point if someone is OC'ing an AR or AK, it's a potential mass shooter, if they're OC'ing a pistol on a holster it's exercising 2A.

What I don't like tho is how Walmart is now basically telling people who view the 2nd Amendment through a self defense lens and not a hunting lens to screw. Handguns are largely self defense tools and sport shooting tools and they need ammo to be used, but Walmart, given they now are of the opinion that the 2nd amendment was only meant for hunting and nothing else, see any gun, ammo, or accessory that doesn't fit the FUDD narratives is some evil thing that must be removed from society.

My concern is the more that guns/ammo are removed from everyday society (Walmart is a staple of our culture, like it or not) the more people are going to view guns, gun owners as some sort of boogeyman akin to that of a sex offender and will have to be treated like pariahs.

Don Fischer said:
Open carry is little more than gun people saying in your face to non gun people. Get a concealed carry license, they don't care about that! Considering the number f people going into their store's, I think they are being reasonable. I can carry open but unless I as out hunting, I never do. I have no desire to provoke either the idiot anti or the people actually afraid of gun's.
There are (at least) two sides to that argument.

There's no question that some people are traumatized by the mere sight of a firearm. We know this because there have been multiple reports of police officers in uniform having been asked to leave stores and restaurants because patrons became unhinged by the sight of the cops' duty weapons. But ... we all here know (I hope) that a firearm doesn't go off by itself. It fires when someone pulls the trigger. So the phenomenon of people coming unglued at the mere sight of a firearm is a manifestation of a phobic response.

Jeff Cooper created a word to describe this: "hoplophobia." Wikipedia quotes Cooper on this thusly:

I coined the term "hoplophobia" in 1962 in response to a perceived need for a word to describe a mental aberration consisting of an unreasoning terror of gadgetry, specifically, weapons. The most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user. This is not a reasoned position, but when you point this out to a hoplophobe he is not impressed because his is an unreasonable position. To convince a man that he is not making sense is not to change his viewpoint but rather to make an enemy. Thus hoplophobia is a useful word, but as with all words, it should be used correctly.
One approach to treating phobias is desensitization -- gradually increasing exposure to the phobic agent to allow the person to recognize that the agent is not dangerous to them. Consequently, the notion that we should only carry concealed, even where open carry is legal, is in some ways counter-productive. While carrying openly can (and almost certainly will) trigger a hoplophobic response in some people, I think if fence-sitters were exposed to more people in clean, neat, "business casual" type clothing who happen to be wearing a gun on their hip while going about their daily affairs, the message would be conveyed that not everyone who carries a gun is a neck-bearded troglodyte and a menace to society.

The sad irony is that, in general, the very people who would be the best ambassadors for open carry are those who generally eschew open carry, while those who serve as the worst possible examples are those who seem most likely to practice it.

I have always thought it instructive that in the 19th century open carry was (in most places) accepted without question. Back then, it was concealed carry that was frowned upon, because it was "sneaky" and ungentlemanly. Gentlemen and real men carried their sidearms out in the open; only gamblers and crooks carried concealed firearms.

How the worm turns.

There are a couple of aspects of this that annoy me.

1) Wal-Mart just magically created a category of ammunition that doesn’t exist (“short-barrel rifle ammunition” )and not one media organization called them on this.

2) Wal-Mart threw .223/5.56 under the bus but they’ll continue to sell 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, .300 BLK, etc. Typical talking out of both sides of their mouth duplicity.

The ripple effect of Walmart selling out and not re-stocking is going to be significant because of shipping charges and hazmat charges too since it's ammo. The effect is going to be significant.

Our remaining assortment will be even more focused on the needs of hunting and sport shooting enthusiasts.

I don't see how stopping the sale of the most popular centerfire cartridge in the world (5.56) is going to focus on the needs of "sport shooting enthusiasts" in a positive way.

The ripple effect of Walmart selling out and not re-stocking is going to be significant because of shipping charges and hazmat charges too since it's ammo. The effect is going to be significant.

I have not seen hazmat charges for loaded ammunition...there is for reloading supplies (i.e. loose powder, primers). The only Walmart I've seen selling reloading supplies was in PA. Either way, it will have a negative affect on a lot of us across the country. It's a shame that a cultural icon like Walmart jumped into this fray.

"I wonder if they are going to quit stocking .22lr ammo?"

I asked at my local Walmart yesterday that very question and was told, "Yes. It can be used in hanguns." :mad:

Paul B.

I conceal carry everywhere legal.

If one open carries everywhere legal that is consistent.
Picking some places to OC like Wal-Mart or Kroger (before) but not others, ex: Red Lobster, Cracker Barrel, the vets office (pet), family reunion, that is not consistent.
If the reason for OC is comfort, make a statement, freedom, whatever, that would (should) apply everywhere, not pick & choose.
Not anti OC, rather pro consistency / principle.

I understand that some people open carry in the odd ball places that don’t allow concealed carry but somehow allows open carry. I prefer concealed carry in public, but would open carry when I worked part time on a ranch.

OC law is often superseded by private property law. Their store, their rules.
I am a bit disappointed in WM, 'cuz even though I work in a LGS I can still get ammo cheaper at WM. Hit WM up yesterday for a few bulk boxes of 9mm and 5.56. Might have to go back again for a few other possibly disappearing calibers.

The thing about large stores like Walmart, Kroger, Costco, etc. is they have effectively replaced the markets that used to be on public streets. This is ultimately an effect of the automobile.

In the public market of the street, our speech and our right to bear arms was only regulated by the government which regulation is restricted by the bill of rights (even if it's regularly been infringed).

On corporate-owned property, companies have increasingly regulated speech and the right to bear arms. Some very notable rulings have seen speech rights supersede property rights, but nothing similar has happened for 2nd Amendment rights.

Some examples: religious literature can be distributed on privately owned sidewalks and in privately-owned shopping malls, labor protests can occur on privately-owned sidewalks, etc.

I've long-predicted that 2nd Amendment rights on private (corporate) property will come to a head when the corporations start using technology to detect concealed guns. Many concealed carriers are unconcerned about Starbucks, Costco, Walmart and Kroger's decisions to ban open carry, because they believe they'll be able to continue to carry concealed. What happens when weapons detection technology gets better than the crude metal detectors we see now? That technology is just around the corner. Remember that a private corporation does not have to abide by the restrictions the 4th Amendment puts on the government.

Should carry rights supersede property rights in "public accomodations" like stores, restaurants, theaters, and transportation etc. on private property? I don't see a lot of legislators willing to go to bat for such an idea in the current political climate.

Personally, I think the government treading on property rights can only be considered with the utmost restraint. I would much rather that people make choices to forgo interacting so much on private property and return to the public streets, and the public square -- but I just don't see that happening. Even online, people overwhelmingly prefer that Google receives all their mail, Youtube hosts all their video, that their photos are held in a corporate-owned cloud, and all their text and voice communication is through Apple, Samsung, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, AT&T and Verizon. None of those convenient services are obligated to honor your speech rights anymore than Walmart and Kroger are obligated to honor your carry rights. And it seems Americans like it that way. Pity.

Last edited:
Walmart ammo sales

For me, it's no big deal I reload all of my pistol ammo and cast most of my own bullets. There are at least two other box stores here that sell ammo at least as cheap as they do for my AR. My wish would be that all gun owners would engage in economic warfare when ever possible and take their business elsewhere if they can. Hitting them in the pocket book is the best way to get their attention. Look at what trouble Dick's sporting goods has gotten themselves in. I think if Wally world were hit hard like that they would throw out the CEO and most of the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back