Real ID coming soon

The State doesn't have to put up readers, private business will do it.
And it would not be a hard sell either...

"Hey, we will provide you the devices needed if you install them. Then if you are ever robbed or broken into at night we will have a record of who did it."

In a related story, the government who seldom, or maybe never, makes a mistake is holding someone.

January 24, 2008
"Your Papers, Citizen. . . Sorry, Not Good Enough"
Posted by Anthony Gregory at January 24, 2008 06:02 PM

The government can't do anything right. "Thomas Warziniack was born in Minnesota and grew up in Georgia, but immigration authorities pronounced him an illegal immigrant from Russia. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has held Warziniack for weeks in an Arizona detention facility with the aim of deporting him to a country he's never seen. His jailers shrugged off Warziniack's claims that he was an American citizen, even though they could have retrieved his Minnesota birth certificate in minutes and even though a Colorado court had concluded that he was a U.S. citizen a year before it shipped him to Arizona."

"The immigration agents told me they never make mistakes," Warziniack said in a phone interview from jail. "All I know is that somebody dropped the ball."

This is nothing anomalous, apparently. "U.S. citizens who are mistakenly jailed by immigration authorities can get caught up in a nightmarish bureaucratic tangle in which they're simply not believed. An unpublished study by the Vera Institute of Justice, a New York nonprofit organization, in 2006 identified 125 people in immigration detention centers across the nation who immigration lawyers believed had valid U.S. citizenship claims."

How many illegal immigrants does the US fail to catch? Millions. But of the many thousands harassed and put in detention centers (where, unlike on the free market, they get food and clothing paid for by the taxpayer) it looks like a non-negligible number are citizens. Hmmm. As messy as things are with the unsatisfactory status quo, I shudder at the thought of what a real crack down on illegal aliens would look like. Attribution

Well if they had 'real id" then those 125 "mistakes" out of the millions of adjudications wouldnt have happened:cool:

Wildhaveyouhuggedyourmarlin336todayAlaska TM

for those of you who dont think that the RFID chips will make you trackable, you should look up Moore's law. essentially it says that technology expands exponentially. basically it doubles (efficiency, speed, storage space for computers, distance of transmission...etc) roughly every two years. start doubling 70 ft for every two years and see how long you remain untraceable.

Pat H wrote/quoted

In a related story, the government who seldom, or maybe never, makes a mistake is holding someone.

Quote:
January 24, 2008
"Your Papers, Citizen. . . Sorry, Not Good Enough"
Posted by Anthony Gregory at January 24, 2008 06:02 PM

The government can't do anything right. "Thomas Warziniack was born in Minnesota and grew up in Georgia, but immigration authorities pronounced him an illegal immigrant from Russia. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has held Warziniack for weeks in an Arizona detention facility with the aim of deporting him to a country he's never seen. His jailers shrugged off Warziniack's claims that he was an American citizen, even though they could have retrieved his Minnesota birth certificate in minutes and even though a Colorado court had concluded that he was a U.S. citizen a year before it shipped him to Arizona."

"The immigration agents told me they never make mistakes," Warziniack said in a phone interview from jail. "All I know is that somebody dropped the ball."

This is nothing anomalous, apparently. "U.S. citizens who are mistakenly jailed by immigration authorities can get caught up in a nightmarish bureaucratic tangle in which they're simply not believed. An unpublished study by the Vera Institute of Justice, a New York nonprofit organization, in 2006 identified 125 people in immigration detention centers across the nation who immigration lawyers believed had valid U.S. citizenship claims."

How many illegal immigrants does the US fail to catch? Millions. But of the many thousands harassed and put in detention centers (where, unlike on the free market, they get food and clothing paid for by the taxpayer) it looks like a non-negligible number are citizens. Hmmm. As messy as things are with the unsatisfactory status quo, I shudder at the thought of what a real crack down on illegal aliens would look like. Attribution

---------------

Government employees or any other human beings NEVER MAKING MISTAKES, that along with the classic The Check Is In The Mail and Of Course I will Still Love and Respect You In The Morning are likely the three biggest lies ever told or circulated. Actually, most likely, the bit about government employees never making a mistakes would probably take first prize in a lying contest.

for those of you who dont think that the RFID chips will make you trackable, you should look up Moore's law. essentially it says that technology expands exponentially. basically it doubles (efficiency, speed, storage space for computers, distance of transmission...etc) roughly every two years. start doubling 70 ft for every two years and see how long you remain untraceable

That may be true in a lot of ways. But, mother nature will throw a roadblock or two in there just to prove she can. Ultra high frequency radiation has a short range for the amount of energy needed.

I will concede that devices can be put in doorways and drive throughs to make a record of where you have been. But, finding me in real time in the middle of my 1700 acre hunting lease, for instance, using some passive signal reflection is impossible. It is not so much technology as it is physics in that no technolgy can read a signal that is not there. It would take a signal strong enough to cook everything nearby to have any range. And, as has been posted earlier, you are resricted to those size wavelenghths by the size of the card itsself.

I will concede that devices can be put in doorways and drive throughs to make a record of where you have been. But, finding me in real time in the middle of my 1700 acre hunting lease, for instance, using some passive signal reflection is impossible.

Yes, and so?

Unless you want to live like the Unabomber, you're going to go near doorways of buildings at some point.

I'm not the one that's paranoid.
For the ones that are, these devices could easily be avoided by someone on the lam.
Leave your card in the car for instance.

I'm not the one that's paranoid.
For the ones that are, these devices could easily be avoided by someone on the lam.
Leave your card in the car for instance.
I find it funny that you think you would ever get the chance to go on "the lam."

If you were noted as a person of interest the govt would not even have to let you know they were coming. They would simply wait somewhere they know you frequent and grab you before you even knew you were under suspicion.

It would be like they had a hundred thousand little lookouts posted around the city mapping your movements and habits. You only have to have a base knowledge of avoidance tactics to know what an advantage this would be to the person doing the hunting.

"At first, it's to get on board a plane, you can bet trains, boats, and buses will be added to that as well. It's to regulate entering of federal buildings, well the Post Office is a federal building is it not? Imagine having to scan in, just to go to the dam PO."

For some of us it is here now. Have had my current retired Army ID card for seven years. Always wondered what the bar code was for. On one of my recent trips to a nearby military base I found out what it is for. The gate guard took his spiffy new bar code reader and scanned my ID card. Now they are routinely scanning IDs. Personally do not have a problem with the Army doing this; after all, I signed on the dotted line and draw retired pay.

No, it wasn't. If any government entity wants to know where I am at any time, call me on my cell phone, and I will tell them. Of course, unlike the paranoid contingent on this forum, I am very aware that they couldn't care less where I am.

No, it wasn't. If any government entity wants to know where I am at any time, call me on my cell phone, and I will tell them. Of course, unlike the paranoid contingent on this forum, I am very aware that they could care less where I am.
People who say that have such a lack of understanding of history. Need I repeat the famous "first they came" adage?

Things can change very quickly and what is acceptable today could become suspect tomorrow. Were the jewish German citizens doing anything wrong when the third reich came t power?

I think it's time to introduce that classic of 20th century literature, The Trial by Franz Kafka. First published in 1925 when some noticed that there were certain "problems" with modern government.

Still in print.

Great. An 80 year old book written in another country.

And me being illogical because I don't have some fear of an ID card. Oh, well.

Back