Real ID coming soon

I should not presume to speak for others, so I will put it as follows:

What I personally find annoying/bothersome about Real ID and DHS "interpretations" thereof is the following. The seemingly open ended nature of the thing, such as that most interesting phrase "for other purposes", referenced in this ongoing discussion.

Of course, I also found " and The Secretary or his delegate shall promulgate regulations...", this from the Gun Control Act of 1968 troubling. Perhaps I live in some sort of dream world, but it seems to me that the law makers, they being The Congress (House and Senate) should in the law they create, clearly spell things out. Seems that things like "for other purposes" and "the secretary or his delegate ..." fail to do that.

Last edited:
ID for firearms purchase

ZeroJunk you seem to be forgetting the new super duper Homeland Security Real ID will not be adequate to use for firearms purchase. It will not have your address included according to HS becasue people are afraid they might loose it and the thieves could find your house. It will not replace the NCIS check requirement becasue its not designed to serve that purpose. You'll still have to have an official document with your residential address and go through the NCIS check.

If HS came up with a Real ID that could actually be used in-lieu-off still having to have more background checks and other documents I might actually go along with the idea. But then again these agencies would not be able to require me to pay multiple fees for the same people to verify the same information.

While the sarcasm is noted, ZeroJunk, would you care to take a stab at my question?

Under what authority do the feds operate here?

I have no idea. About 1/2 the states have rejected it. I suspect a good attorney could make an argument either way depending on who is paying him. It may die under it's own weight.

I'm waitting on any of you to offer a solution to identify several million illegal aliens.

The rest of the states may reject it also when their cost estimates to implement are completed.

Back