Is Colt Python 2020 worth $1,500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Colt Python 2020 worth $1,500?

My simple answer is, no. Not to me.

5 pages of discussion, so far, and very little on what the new 2020 python is. Lots of talk on Python (old) vs, S&W, or even how to polish one, but not much on what the new Python is, and that is, a gun that looks like the original on the outside but is different on the inside.

That doesn't make it a bad gun. It just means that if you are buying one thinking it is a currently produced precise copy, the same as the guns made during the 50s, 60s, 70s, etc, you aren't getting that.

If that's worth $1,500 (or whatever the price is) to you, then its worth it, to you. To me, its not.

You don't have to want to buy something to see and understand its value. I have no desire to own a new Python but I know a well made revolver when I handle one.

Part of the problem in this thread is people judging the new Python based on the old one. Another part is people not seeing the value because they do not understand the difference between the finish work that goes into the Python compared to its perceived competition. There is no way to see the value if you think the Python's finish can be replicated with a rag and wheel polish. In truth, the new Python really has no competition because it's better made and better finished than Smith, Ruger or Dan Wesson. You'd have to either go to a single action Freedom Arms to find comparable finish work, or all the way to a Korth to find better in a double action. Colt stands alone in the middle.

Last edited:
It would take quite a while to polish out a S&W 686 with Mother's polish.
Especially to the point of the polish of a vintage python.

Polish, polish, polish.

Many of you don't sound like shooters
at all.

Admirers of jewelry but certainly not
shooters.

I don't believe the Python, old or new,
is any better a shooter than a Smith
Model 19/66 or Model 586/686. So
it's from this point I would decide if the
new 2020 Python is worth it.

You want one? Buy it. That's fine.

It is, of course an entirely personal matter, but I for one, do not care much for high polish pistols. So the entire issue of the polish job on the Python is entirely lost on me.

I prefer the satin blue of a S&W M28 over the high lustre blue of the 19, 27, and 29s.

When it comes to stainless, I'm the same way. A satin "soft" finish is more attractive to me than the high polish stainless. And, it reflects less light.

I don't buy guns for a fancy finish, I buy them for what they are and how they work. I never felt the original Pythons were worth what as asked for them, either. Not that they aren't fine guns, but not fine enough above a S&W to justify the higher cost, to me.

That was true in the early 70s when I first began looking, its still true today, to me.

The selling point here is not so much the level of shine but the way in which it was attained. Colt had years during the `70's and `80's when a lot of their guns were polished very poorly. Mostly overdone. In the `80's the polishing department even went on strike and that is why we saw such roughly finished guns as the Peacekeeper and Whitetailer. It was until US Firearms came into the picture and started taking away sales that Colt finally decided to up their game and stop polishing their SAA's like they were mad at them. Which is why the current SAA is the best they've ever been, not the least of which is the way they are polished. This carries over to the Python. Whether it's important to you or not, the finish is a significant upgrade over anything available from Smith or Ruger. In fact, the whole gun is an upgrade over Smith or Ruger. Where Smith has been cheapening their guns for years, they can hardly claim an advantage over Ruger any more. Thirty years ago, we might've had an argument about that. Not any more. Smith uses MIM parts and two piece barrels, the Python is all milled steel. Where the Smith is polished in a tumbler and covered in swirl marks, the Python is polished the old fashioned way and very good at that.

Many of you don't sound like shooters at all.

Guns with a higher level of fit and finish cannot also be shot, carried in holsters and hunted with?

The discussion is about the new Colt Python, its value and the things that set it apart from the competition. The finish is a major component in that. If this is unimportant to you, why even bother responding? I've always been amazed at people who don't care about such fine details asserting some sort of moral superiority over those who do.

I'm a high volume shooter...(why I would take a 686 over the Python old/new).

And I'm saying a $7 Mothers Mag Polish can will take a Taurus/Ruger/S&W bead blast down to a shine.

Scoff all you want, but I've hand polished Taurus 66s to the same shine as a Python. Just takes a rag and lots of time. It's not the starting material.Colt doesn't hold some patent on a secret technique. Colt isn't using a special stainless steel. Colt certainly isn't using a copyright polish. Colt isn't using a copyright polishing wheel.

I'll let go if the 686 is better than the 3-4 times more expensive Python, but having polished the other big three--no. It's a bit silly to say a person with a 686 couldn't turn that finish into exactly the same as the Python. Absolutely doesn't make sense.

Yes, it's possible to polish any reasonably decent quality forged steel gun to the same smoothness of finish as a vintage Python with a rag, polish and a LOT of time.

No, it's not really possible to do it in such a way that someone who knows what a proper polish job looks like would be fooled into thinking it was a proper polish job. Not with just a rag and polish. It takes special equipment and skill to do it properly.

Proper metal polishing on an item like a firearm is more complicated than just achieving a certain level of smoothness/shininess.

That said, I am not claiming that the new Pythons have the same level of polish job as the originals--I don't know one way or the other.

To me if you want a new Python and can afford it $1500.00 isn’t totally out of line. But, if I wanted to spend $1500.00 on a revolver I’d just be patient and find a nice 4” Model 27 and be much more satisfied both aesthetically and functionally. While the finish on a new Python may or may not be superior, I don’t know since I have no direct experience, but I do know for me it wouldn’t matter. I shoot my guns and use them so that super micro fine polishing wouldn’t last long enough to matter.

We're now accepting stainless steel can be polished by hand like the $2K Python.

It doesn't take an ounce of skill and only about 2 hours total. If you don't use a wheel, you're not going to get the feared spotting. Your hand and a rag can't heat up the steel hot enough to create spotting. You don't even have to push hard. Once you've polished one area to remove the finish on the 686/GP100/Taurus 66, you're done. You can't take it further--meaning you can't over polish it. With Mothers Mag polish, swirls aren't possible because it's a micro finish. Ie, your eye can't see anything but a nice finish. So this idea that it takes technique is silly. There is literally no possible way to screw it up.

So if the 2020 Python is worth the current $2K because of its finish...the answer to the original question is no. Don't kid yourself.

Last edited:
Some people can appreciate a Python. Others cannot.

Appreciation is subjective and arguing about that makes as much sense sense as arguing whether the color blue is better than the color red. There is no right and there is no wrong.

In my personal and obviously subjective view, a polished 686 does not equal a Python. I'd happily pay 3 times or more for a Python than a 686, and have does so several times already. I will do so again.

I will not buy another MIM S&W until S&W steps up their QA and produce the same level of quality they did 20 - 30 years ago. As an owner of original Pythons and the new version, I can attest that the quality of the current version is as good as the original. 686's not so much.

Hence, I'm of the opinion the new Python is worth it's asking price, a new 686 is not. YMMV, but I really don't care.

But, if I wanted to spend $1500.00 on a revolver I’d just be patient and find a nice 4” Model 27 and be much more satisfied both aesthetically and functionally. .

Hard to argue against that. Pre and low dash mod 27's are some of the best revolvers made IMHO. Whenever I come across one reasonably priced and in good condition I snap them up.

It doesn't take an ounce of skill and only about 2 hours total. If you don't use a wheel, you're not going to get the feared spotting. Your hand and a rag can't heat up the steel hot enough to create spotting. You don't even have to push hard. Once you've polished one area to remove the finish on the 686/GP100/Taurus 66, you're done. You can't take it further--meaning you can't over polish it. With Mothers Mag polish, swirls aren't possible because it's a micro finish. Ie, your eye can't see anything but a nice finish. So this idea that it takes technique is silly. There is literally no possible way to screw it up.
Reading comprehension is obviously not your strong suit.

Because the surface texture of metal is shiny doesn't mean it's properly polished.

Wild Cat McCane- you have no idea about properly polishing a gun. It's quite a bit more complicated than using polish and a rag. Several people have explained this to you, but you seem oblivious to the facts.

When all is said and done it really matters not because the only person who needs to be happy is whoever owns the gun, any gun. So threads like this can drag on another six pages and nothing is going to change. While finish may add to the value of a gun I never saw a gun which functioned better because it was pretty.

There is more to polishing a finish than a rag and Mothers Polishing compound. Those who have stood in front of a buffing and polishing wheel know the drill and the different grits involved to get from point A to B. It's a messy job too.

Again it matters not and none of polishing or buffing has anything at all to do with is a New Model Colt Python worth $1,500? Some people will say yes and others will say no. Really only matters to someone considering buying one. The only one who needs to come away happy is the person putting down the money for what will be their gun. I have not seen the New Model Colt Python and don't know what separates it from the old model of the same gun. Would I pay $1,500 for another S&W Model 27 or pre Model 27? Absolutely I would if the gun was clean and no wear. Would I pay $1,500 for another S&W Model 586? Nope, regardless of condition.

Anyway the only person who needs to be pleased with a gun, any gun, is the one holding it.

Ron

We're now accepting stainless steel can be polished by hand like the $2K Python.
No. not "like the $2K Python". Can a the same level of smoothness/shininess be achieved, yes, but that's not the same thing. There's more to polishing a firearm than just achieving a particular level of smoothness.
There is literally no possible way to screw it up.
If the polish is taking off enough metal to remove all the factory scratches/swirls/matte finish then it's taking off enough metal to screw things up.

Furthermore, making a truly great polished finish takes prep before the final polish starts. You can't just pick up any piece of metal and grab some polish. The surfaces need to be right to start with.

I have a GP100. I could polish it to a mirror finish and it would be really shiny but it won't ever be a great polish job because whoever did the final factory finish was sloppy and rounded corners and edges and made some other mistakes. It would be impossible to go back and fix all that because it would require adding metal back in places. Can I make it super shiny? YES. Can I put a great polish job on it? No, not at this point.

And even if it hadn't been screwed up at the factory, getting a really great polish job would take more than just a rag, polish and time to make everything right.

My Taurus 66 with just the front of the barrel done.
tnCsp2cm.jpg

If you like how it looks, then that's what really matters. Some years ago, I did some polishing on my first GP100 and I felt like it improved its overall appearance.

I just want everyone who told me I'm wrong to respond to my picture of me actually doing what I'm talking about...

I'll post up my 686/GP100/66 6" if wanted...

More embarrassing. Here is my Rossi 972. Cost me $280 when they were selling them a few years ago. Finish? Factory from Taurus like this:
cZ6plTGm.jpg

5vIBDPDm.jpg

That's a finish on a $280 dollar retail priced gun...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back