Is Colt Python 2020 worth $1,500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every single photo below is mine and I did the polishing on the shown Taurus 66. Looks exactly like a Python. Exactly. Why? Because it's polished smooth and stainless. The color is the same, the finish is the same.

My $280 Rossi 972:

5vIBDPDh.jpg

My Taurus 66 with half the barrel polished with a Mossberg 500 barrel being chopped down in the foreground. No a single flaw in the Taurus 66 metal under the blasted finish:

ICsNuH3h.jpg

Clearer shot while polishing. Just the barrel. Again, not a photographer and I use soft (yellow) lights, not white. So the yellow is the photo:
tnCsp2ch.jpg

Was the cylinder a pain in the bum to do?

ABSOLUTELY! Can you polish the edges smooth with a rag and your hand using Mothers? Absolutely not. So....

Let me grab a photo of my finish Taurus 66 6" using Mothers. I sold the GP100 I polished, but think I have a photo of it.

Also...super embarrassing...point not brought up yet? See that wood grip on my Taurus 66?

That grip is from Thailand off eBay. It's solid hard wood with a perfect harden varnish finish...so it it technically a better wood grip than the plywood Colt grip right now... Cost me $34 shipped. From Thailand... Eeeeek.

I've bought 6 of them from the same guy. If interested, can find his name but he's talked about a lot on all the forums. P.Jsomething or J.Psomething is his eBay user name. Sells phython hand made grips too. Solid wood.

The photos are bigger but no better.

I've bought grips from the same guy in Thailand. They're 'okay'. Mine are now in my grip box. The factory Python grips do suck but so does everybody else's. I cannot even fathom how the conversation will go when we start talking about $500-$1000 custom grips compared to $30 grips from Thailand.

I'm not Bac, so I care not to improve my lighting skills :) But this isn't something unique to me. Google will show you plenty-o 66s, 686s, GP100s with a mother's hand finish. Exact same finish as the Python. Because again, if it isn't a glass/sand blast, anyone can polish stainless steel the same. Scotch pads, Semi Chrome, Fritz, etc. Just depends on what you use. Mothers will give you the Python finish.

The $280 Rossi 972 is most telling. Anyone can google image that all day and see it's the same finish. My picture is showing junk that just isn't there.

To be honest, my $100 altamont grips haven't been ANY better than the eBay versions.

Own both. Fit or finish. I think the eBay ones have been better at times. Total luck of the draw.

I will say, the eBay seller does post the actual grip you are buying. Altamont doesn't.

Meh.

I'm not Bac, so I care not to improve my lighting skills But this isn't something unique to me. Google will show you plenty-o 66s, 686s, GP100s with a mother's hand finish. Exact same finish as the Python.

Can you show us your gun side by side with a Python, for a comparison?

Let's keep attacking that guy that keeps showing examples he's done (and on demand) that all stainless steel polishes the exact same way.

What else do you want me to polish?

I'm kinda interested in the dried furniture polish rag rub mentioned on a

I've seen it, dozens of times. I know exactly what it looks like. The problem is that you don't. You've done a thorough job of convincing yourself it's the same but it's purely delusional.

You have no response to what I posted above in post #178 about how to go about refinishing a revolver similarly to a Python?

Regarding the S&W N frame, you say..

It is inherently flawed. .... but the result has significant limitations. It was a new concept at the time and I'm sure they had no idea that 50 years later people would be shooting thousands of rounds a year in IHMSA competition. ... but no gun should need professional help in as little as 3000 to 5000 rounds. I would say in a world where Ruger, Dan Wesson, Freedom Arms, Colt and others do not share in this reputation, the Smith design is inherently flawed.

I think what we have here is a different understanding of the term "flaw".

First point, limitations are not flaws.

next point, while I agree that the N frame is not the optimal gun for .44mag and that in the 60+ years since the cartridge came out that others have not designed stronger, more durable guns for it. That means the S&W is "limited" or "not optimal" today, it does not mean the S&W is flawed.

No, they didn't anticipate people shooting 5k + rounds through the guns back in the 30s or in the 50s, very few people shot that much. Designing a gun that met and exceeded what most people would do (at the time) is a LIMIT today, not a flaw.

Pushing anything to its limits (or beyond) and then stating its flawed because it HAS limits and those limits are less than what the user desires today is not justification to say the design is flawed.

less then the best possible today, yes. Limited due to its design age, yes. Flawed, no, not in my opinion.

And since S&W's N frame is just as much off topic as how to polish stainless steel, I think were done here. Happy to discuss this in PM or in another thread, but OT for this one about 2020 Pythons.

JackMoser,

Regarding Ross" pistola, at the end of his
article he wrote: "I probably won't hunt
with this gun again. It is far too nice to
risk any wear."

I guess he didn't want to muss the
"mascara."

It's obviously worth $1,700 to me.

In response to the OP's original question, yes, it's worth at least $1,500 to me. I just bought a 6" model on GunBroker for $1,700. It should be in my hands in about a week. I'm very happy! I would have LOVED to have found one for $1,500. But after a year of waiting, that opportunity never presented itself to me. So I am happy to have my Python for $1,700.

The photos are bigger but no better.

Ugh... The photos are so blurry you can't even make out a single detail on any of the guns. Even with those photos you can tell the finish is way off from a Python. You can find sellers pictures on Craigslist where the reflection off a open Python cylinder shows either the forcing cone or firing pin bushing like a mirror. I'd like to see a picture like that from a hand polished gun.

Let's keep attacking that guy that keeps showing examples he's done (and on demand) that all stainless steel polishes the exact same way.
Well, not really. Cast steel often has very tiny voids in it that will show up when a mirror finish is done.

That aside.

You can post a million pictures of revolvers you have polished with a rag and polish. It doesn't change the fact that it simply isn't possible to achieve the same thing that can be accomplished with the proper tools and a proper approach.

I don't know if you're intentionally ignoring what you've been told, but a number of folks, including me, have indicated that they have polished steel before. We know what you are doing and we know the results you are getting. We know what can be achieved with a rag and polish and what can not be achieved. Through personal experience. Your fingers time, and rag and the polish you use are achieving the same results people here have achieved.

It is not the same thing that is achieved when starting with a properly flat finish, then using the proper tools and grit progression to achieve a truly great finish.

Off the shelf guns (especially the lower end ones--I'm including some revolvers I own, so nobody freak out and start going off about about gun snobbery) almost never come from the factory with truly flat surfaces, sharp corners, with no waves in the surface (I'm talking actual dips, not swirls), etc. Those kinds of imperfections can't be fixed with a rag and polish, no matter how much time is taken.

Can you get a really shiny finish? Yes. I've done it. Will it be like one that was done by someone starting from an item that was intended to be polished to a high finish from the start, who uses the proper tools, who has a high level of skill and who follows a proper grit progression? No. It's not going to happen.

The problem is that your level of expertise and knowledge of the topic is insufficient for you to properly assess your competence of the topic.

There are entire books written about polishing metal. How many have you read? Do you think that they all have one page and begin and end with how to pick a rag and a brand of polish?

If a person knows very little about a topic and accepts that their knowledge is lacking, they can learn about it and potentially become very knowledgeable if they wish to put forth the effort.

If a person knows very little about a topic but believes they already know everything they need to know, they can't learn about it. What else could there be to learn?

Right now, you are in the second category. Until you accept that there might be more to the topic than you already know, this exchange will be completely valueless to you.

If this Mothers hand polished Taurus 689 doesn't convince you are wrong, that's fine.

I think anyone else looking at this will know I haven't been talking nonsense.

(yes, you were right on the GP100 brushing. But I have still brought a GP100 to the same Python shine with Mothers. Mothers takes out those brush marks and polish flat)

LgfotsCh.png

If anyone is curious, the Taurus 689 (which I have, pics coming) is what came before the 66 but still being made. Just isn't imported by Taurus USA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back