Is Colt Python 2020 worth $1,500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If what you're doing gives you satisfaction at the results, then why worry about it?

Look at it this way. Some folks want a fancy wine with their dinner and can tell you all about the differences in wines--personally, I'd rather have a coke--I can't tell one wine from another and think it would be a waste of time to try to learn all that stuff. So if you'd rather have a coke, like me, why get all cranked up over the differences in various wines?

The size pictures you're posting are not going to provide any useful information.

Flats should be perfectly flat, markings crisp, edges sharp. No blurring of edges, rounding of corners, no waves in the surface. It's pretty rare for a factory gun to be that way to begin with--that's why we see so many matte finishes from the factory. They are quick and easy to apply and hide/de-emphasize imperfections.

When I polished my GP100, the smoother surface revealed a lot of issues that weren't really apparent with the factory finish. I liked how it looked after, but I haven't polished it again for that reason.

You can polish a 320 grit finish with 2000 grit polish, but you are not removing the 320 grit lines-just blurring them over.
A proper polish would be 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000 grits.
I'm afraid this is lost here....

"Smith uses MIM parts and two piece barrels, the Python is all milled steel." "Smith has been cheapening their guns for years", (Jackmoser65)

So are we comparing the new Colt Python to the new S&W 66, or to an an equivalent flagship model in the S&W lineup like the 27 or 29? :confused: It wouldn't be fair to compare a S&W 27 to a Colt King Cobra, would it?

New S&W models, 27 and 29 had one piece barrels and beautiful bluing the last I knew. I just sold the 27 (586 is all I need), but my 29-10 .44 is pretty nice, nothing "cheap" about it. FAR Stronger than the older 29's I owned in the past and very nice to look at, MIM parts or not.

I know next to nothing about finishing a gun. I can tell you that I bought a used SW Model 65 years ago and spent hours and hours polishing it with Mothers' and a rag. When I finished, it was much shinier, which is what I wanted for the gun.

Even to my untrained eye, it was not anywhere near the same quality as either the finish on my 2020 Colt Python or the Ultimate Stainless finish on my "old model" 8-inch barreled Python.

BTW, there's a couple of upcoming articles in Shooting Illustrated on the 2020 Python. The writer is definitely pre-disposed to love the Python in his preview video on YouTube.

I just want everyone who told me I'm wrong to respond to my picture of me actually doing what I'm talking about...

Pictures change nothing. They're not big enough but if they were, it wouldn't help your case. We've all seen exactly what you're talking about. You obviously just do not understand what we are talking about. In order to understand, you will have to open your mind and entertain the idea that those guns you polished with wheel polish are NOT finished like a Python. Some of your ideas are 180 degrees from reality. Polishing metal work takes a great deal of skill. It is not merely putting a shine on something. I do not know how it is now but in years past, it took years of apprenticeship in the polishing department before you ever got to touch a Python or SAA. Read that again, YEARS OF APPRENTICESHIP. Does that sound like "not an ounce of skill"?

Over the decades, I have had custom work done on dozens of revolvers. From basic action work to full blown customs. I can tell you from experience, both in doing it myself and having a gunsmith perform the work, putting a Python level polish on a revolver takes a lot of hours or a lot more money. These days, I would expect at least $500, probably closer to $1000. Any of the custom gunsmiths who offer a "Best Grade" custom revolver are getting a substantial upcharge for hand finishing. The starting prices for a Bowen Best Grade is over $5000 and much of the reason is hand finishing. But no, dude that polished his Taurus with a rag and wheel polish while sitting in front of the boob tube, he knows better. :rolleyes:

So are we comparing the new Colt Python to the new S&W 66, or to an an equivalent flagship model in the S&W lineup like the 27 or 29? It wouldn't be fair to compare a S&W 27 to a Colt King Cobra, would it?

At present there is no functional difference in this context. A 629 is not made or finished any differently than a 686.

FAR Stronger than the older 29's I owned in the past and very nice to look at, MIM parts or not.
Stronger, how??? The new Classics aren't as well finished as the Bangor Punta era guns. You'd have to go all the way back to the Registered Magnum to find a Smith as well finished as the current Python.

The new classics are a different style/ type of bluing, yes, I agree. I own new and old S&W's. The new ones are different, sure, but still pretty nice, at least to me. The older ones, yes,
I do prefer that deep vintage blue, I'll agree with you on that... I also prefer no lock holes either. I like both old and new S&W's.
As far as how they are stronger...?? Do you have much experience with S&W 29's? Not trying to be snarky, but it's pretty well known that the 29 has evolved over the decades, becoming more stronger and durable. If you search the threads here you will find details outlining various modifications, improvements, etc.

To start, most people are going to compare a medium frame .357 to other medium frame .357's and that is what we are doing here. The new Python is stainless. The new model 27 Classic is not only a large frame but it is blued as well. That said, it's not polished like the Python either. Not talking about the bluing.

The only significant change was the so called endurance package in the 90's and that did very little to alleviate issues with them shooting loose. Experience? Yes, I've had them rebuilt before and have since relegated them to light duty.

I should have clarified more. I wasn't referring so much as to frame size, as to comparing the Colt vs. S&W "Flagship" (top of the line models), Python vs. S&W 27 / 29.

If you were comparing strictly frame size, .357 vs. .357, I misunderstood. I read your post as that you were making generalizations between Colt and S&W flagship models, not specific frame sizes. And yes, you stated valid points, I agree.. the new Python is vastly superior to the new S&W 66. No argument here. I'm not a fan of 2 piece barrels or what the new 66 looks like. :D

Pertaining to polish, I have used Mothers on Smith's and Rugers, it worked very well. I couldn't get mine to Python level though. No way.

Last edited:
I think if the new Pythons are selling for $1500.00, then they are certainly worth it to the people who are buying them.

This thread has some interesting arguments and misconceptions about polishing, machining and what those things bring to the table.

I have not handled a new Python in person so I do not know if I would buy one or not. I did however just buy this Python, and it is well worth the price.

5l4mOzM.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Jackmoser65;

Hold on friend, you misunderstood me. No way would I prefer a new 27 to a vintage pre WW2 27 / Registered Magnum 3.5". I'm not blind. :D
No way the new 586 Classic is as nice as my 80's vintage 586 either.
What I AM saying is that the new S&W Classic 27 and 29 are THE flagship models from S&W, and while not the same as the older ones as far as bluing (and that annoying "H" hole:mad:), they are still damn nice guns, probably nicer than anything else of that size, caliber, finish made by anyone today.

Do you really think the older S&W 29's from the 50's through the 70's / 80's are as strong and durable as the newer ones??? Especially the 29-10?

Last edited:
What I AM saying is that the new S&W Classic 27 and 29 are THE flagship models from S&W,

S&W have gone backwards so badly over the past two decades that I don't think S&W have a flagship model anymore. When guns hit the retailers and some have canted barrels and lockwork that bind, its more apt to call it a "flag canoe" model.

I do agree that the N frame, especially the mod 27, is the best S&W.

Maybe Bill could go use that thing called Google Images and look up a ($280) Rossi 972 and comment on how different that finish is from the $2K Python.

Would love to hear how wrong I was. But again, Google image is a super secret tool. :)

I can promise you that I have polished more metal than 99% of the population.
I make knives. I restore vintage knives. I nickel/gold/silver/cobalt plate guns and gun parts. I'm a trained jeweler.

Your qualifications are that you have Mother's polish, a t shirt, and absolutely no understanding of properly polishing metal.

I think if the new Pythons are selling for $1500.00, then they are certainly worth it to the people who are buying them.

The thing is most of them are selling for closer to $2,000. I haven't seen a local shop with one available for under $1,800. The new Python might not be worth $1,500 to any single person who reads this thread but, that is irrelevant because everyone that hits the street is selling for over MSRP. The Python is priced like any luxury good. They will probably only sell 5,000 to 10,000 per year and that'll be considered a success for them.

Colt is obviously playing the Python name and look for all it's worth. They are in the spotlight again so the Python plan is working.This is essentially an entirely different gun made to look like a Python. I wonder how sales would be if they installed a different looking barrel on it?

I am a big Colt fan, always have been. I would consider a new one if I was able to shoot one first to see if I like it.

I generally buy guns made in the 50's through the 70's because I'm done with MIM, cast and poorly machined parts and lousy lawyer triggers on todays guns. If the new Python does not have any of that crap it is worth the higher price to me.

Maybe on a hugely active forum...we could have someone post they value the new Python with a picture of their own Python? Might help answer the question if ANYONE values the Python...on this forum?

Again, check Python owners online with abrasions. Mothers is recommended in every forum.

Maybe you've learned something Bill? I know I learned some stuff about shotguns from you :)

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/ultimate-ss-and-mothers-mag-aluminum-polish.69343/

Heck, this thread is asking what people like to use when they perfectly shine up their Pythons:
https://www.coltforum.com/threads/polishing-media-preference.84585/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back