Is Colt Python 2020 worth $1,500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet the cylinder diameter of the GP, 686 and Python are all 1.55-1.56". The fact that Smith and Ruger produce seven shot guns on the same sized frame is irrelevant. Nobody wants a Python that isn't a six shot.

I guess you don't understand the difference between "shiny" and a proper polishing job. Did you ever see those old photos of the Colt polishing room? One had to have years of training and experience before you ever got to polish a Python or SAA. Welp, the new Python is polished better than the old Python. If you think you can accomplish the same thing with Mother's and a rag, I have some Arizona swampland to sell you. You can't even get all the scratches from the original brushed finish polished out with polishing paste.

The action of the new Python is completely different from the old Python. It would seem as though your judgement of the new Python is based solely on misinformation and ignorance.

They are all stainless steel.

What in the world do you think it happening to the metal to make it look different? Mothers Mag polish doesn't make it a mirror. It's the exact same.

Yeah, they're all the same. The skill and effort involved in bringing them to a high polish is irrelevant. Since you're oblivious to the difference, then the Python is not for you. :rolleyes:

This is a nonsense argument.

There is no magical polish that exists in the world that Colt uses. Colt doesn't use a technical trademarked polish.

If your eye can't see a swirl by a high grit, you're eye isn't going to see it in the next level of grit either.

It just occurred to me that if S&W put a stepped vent rib on the 686, there would be absolutely not point to the Colt Python.

No point to you perhaps; that's not the case for me.

I own several 686's, a pair of original Pythons and a new Python. There is no place in this universe where a 686 shoots as well as a Python.

The only S&Ws that I've come across that compare to the Pythons are low dash N frames like the 27 and 28.

Last edited:
Seeing that they are 2,300 at Vizards.

Good heck. That's ridiculous. It's one thing to claim you're getting performance advantages from a custom shop. It's entirely another to have no benefit and pay over 3xs for a 686. That's just stupid.

So if a S&W Model 586 or 686 L frame revolver is on par with a Colt Python just where does the S&W Model 27 or 28 N frame figure in? The fact that S&W added a 7th round to the Model 686 as a Model 686P merely says the cylinder can handle it. The frame on a Model 686P is the same L frame used on the earlier Model 686 and is not quite in the same class as the N frame Model 27 and 28. The Model 27 also has the nicer Blued finish than either the Models 586 or 28. The S&W L frame is the L frame and that is as good as it gets. The fact that S&W was able to place a 7th chamber in a Model 686P means nothing. What part of L frame compared to N frame in S&W are people not quite getting?

So again, if the S&W Models 586 or 686 are on par with a Colt Python where do the S&W Models 27 and 28 come in as to comparison. The 586 sure is not even close to a Model 27 or 28 as to frame strength. The L Frame is classified by S&W (the guys who developed it from the K Frame) as a Medium Frame revolver. The L Frame was introduced around 1980 The Python was introduced in the mid 1950s, a good 25 years before the L Frame S&W. S&W developed the L Frame as a stronger frame revolver than their K Frame guns and again not till 1980 a long time after the Colt Python.

I have a S&W 586 as well as a S&W 27 and 28 and the 586 while a nice revolver like my S&W Model 19 neither the 586 or 19 is close to on par with the 27 or 28 N Frame revolvers. Maybe on par with my Colt Trooper MK III.

Ron

Frame size isn’t an issue on any L or N or GP100 or Python. The frame is larger on the L than the python. L addressed the issues on the smaller.

The action is not a frame issue. A Python will absolutely be shot out of time before a 686.

5 pages in and no one is disputing this known fact that is a historically known issue. The Python Elite even has its own page in history for sucking.

Recall the market spoke on the Python when Colt was the last to make a 9mm—meaning their handgun focus was the Python from the inception of the gp100 and 686 from the 80s through the 90s. It didn’t make it. Why?

Has little to do with the compound used and everything to do with the manner in which it is used. You cannot keep edges crisp and flats flat rubbing with a rag powered by your thumb. If you do not understand the difference between how Colt, USFA, Freedom Arms, Korth, etc., polish their guns and your average run of the mill Ruger or Smith, then any explanation is going to be lost on you.

The cylinders are the same size and thus the frames are the same size. You are also clearly mixing concepts here. Any issues concerning Pythons going out of time concern the old Python, not the new one. All you have are "nonsensical arguments" and very little understanding.

You all have a nice discussion, I am done. Now if you have anything credible to support your claims then post it. Looking at my Python and my 586 side by side the frames are about the same size. no noticeable difference. I won't even drag a Ruger GP into it. The S&W 586 is a fine revolver but certainly not on par with a Colt Python. Matter of fact the 586 is not even on par with the S&W Models 27 or 28. That includes form, fit and finish out the door of S&W.

Ron

Last edited:
Since you can't even get the bead blasted look off a Taurus 66 in one sitting, I don't think you're aware how almost nothing comes off with Mothers Mag.

You couldn't hand polish/wrag a sharp angle flat. Literally impossible.

Clueless?

You think a hand, rag, and non aggressive polish will take an edge off hard stainless steel?

Once you get the shine, there is basically nothing else you can do.

Perhaps you can link me to how people sharpen knifes with Mothers Mag polish and a rag? (it's not a thing for a reason)

From this very forum. That looks a lot like the Python finish to me...
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2434774

Python stainless polishing...on this very forum. Mothers:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425060

Colt at one point refinished. What does Colt do? Remove the barrel to polish it and the frame. Probably the only thing that is custom to the polish https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425060

I've found a q-tip and patience will accomplish it.

Last edited:
Gold is $1898.60 an ounce right now. Would you trade an ounce of gold ($20 gold coin) for a Python and 6 boxes of ammo? :rolleyes:

Yes, clueless. I'll say it again, you cannot even remove the scratches from a Ruger or Smith's factory finish with your fingers and wheel polish. You can obviously make it more shiny but the Python's finish is much more than just shiny. You can certainly give any Smith or Ruger a finish like a Python but it takes a lot more than just your fingers and some wheel polish. Part of the problem with wheel polish is that it does not remove enough material, like the fine scratches that will be left behind by the factory brushed finish. Because of those fine scratches you would have to start somewhere around 220 grit (or lower) and work your way up. If you end at 800 to 1000 grit and then buffed, you'd have a nice finish. You'll have to use sanding blocks and take care not to found off edges. Hopefully in doing so you'll also square off the edges the factory has already rounded. Rottenstone works great in tight corners but the barrel is going to be a challenge. The barrel will have to be removed to get to those surfaces where it mates to the frame. Be sure to remove all the innards but replace the sideplate, else you'll end up with a trough at the seam. Please note that at no time are you sitting in front of the TV with a rag and wheel polish. Believe it or not (obviously not) that does not constitute "hand finishing". You'll have to be in a shop environment, know what you're doing and paying close attention. When you've done all that and spent a hundred hours getting your 686 a propper polish, report back and let us know if you think the Python is worth a few hundred more than a 686. Shops like Patriot put a mirror polish on stainless steel but they do it on buffers so the guns look like a shiny blob.

Anybody who knows anything about polishing steel properly knows all this.

From this very forum. That looks a lot like the Python finish to me...
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho....php?p=2434774

Yeah, look at the wavy finish and fine scratches left behind from the factory brushed finish in post #25.
Python stainless polishing...on this very forum. Mothers:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=425060

Pay attention to posts #4 and #5.

Dude, this is a thing.

Search here. Search the s&w forum. Search Python owners polishing their guns. Mothers or Fitz or any jewelry polish.

It works. There is nothing special about the finish on the stainless Python. There isn’t a single thing Colt is doing that someone at home can’t do to make even a bead blasted stainless Taurus have the same look.

Having done it many times myself and having looked at Pythons on person.

Search forums? Not everybody has to consult Google for the answer. I guess those forum posts I pointed out don't support your conclusion so you'll conveniently ignore them.

"When Colt does a bright polish, they use huge polishing wheels to polish out all those machine marks to leave a true mirror bright shiny finish that looks like a bright nickel gun. The people doing the polishing are highly experienced masters of the skill."

I'm sorry but you just don't know what you're talking about. I know you think you do but you do not. Even after a detailed explanation, you persist. I wish you knew how truly comical the following statement really is. It perfectly illustrates how little you know about this subject.

"There is nothing special about the finish on the stainless Python. There isn’t a single thing Colt is doing that someone at home can’t do to make even a bead blasted stainless Taurus have the same look."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back