Is Colt Python 2020 worth $1,500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually no clue what the cost of a "New Model Python" is? Does this $1500 being tossed around sound right?

Ron

All my local shops have then at $2,000. All the ones I’ve seen online go for around that price also.

The MSRP is right around $1,500 and I’ve heard that some have sold at that price but I think you need to know the right people to get that price. Finding one on the street for $1,500 is not common.

Well go figure. Had no clue what the new versions were selling for. I am amazed at what I see the old models selling for. Even before all this COVID and political nonsense the older Colt and S&W guns or just about all the classic older stuff was getting up in price. People are meeting the price demands too.

Ron

Having both sitting here I'll take the Python over the 586. Now if you see the S&W L Frame as better then cool with me. I see the N frame as on par but not the L frame. Got something credible that tells me the S&W L frame is stronger? Just my choice.

Ron

I have shot both extensively in the past, and while the Python was sexier looking, in my eyes the S&W L frame was bigger / stronger and the trigger was better. I trust the lockwork more on the S&W... as I have had Colt DA's go out of timing before.
I don't currently own a Python. The 80's vintage 586? Its not going anywhere. Neither is my N frame 4X4. Nothing like a 4" .44 Magnum! ;)

Considering what they are going for on secondary, yes, yes they are worth $1500.

It is supply and demand and they are going for well beyond that price. Are they better than any other .357 on the market, that is up for the individual to decide, but economically, they are well worth MSRP.

Well, we all know that at some point the "dirty Harry" 44 mag revolver was also in high demand. The first time that Python cought my attention in 1991 I remember it was selling at below MSRP and it had more models variety. I would expect the repeat of the same story.

Well, we all know that at some point the "dirty Harry" 44 mag revolver was also in high demand. The first time that Python cought my attention in 1991 I remember it was selling at below MSRP and it had more models variety. I would expect the repeat of the same story.

Years ago my grandson was visiting and while I had the gun safe open the Pythons caught his eye and the kid got excited. He recognized those guns because far from me to know it was apparently a gun in The Walking Dead. I guess my son and daughter were both fans of the show. Personally I never had any interest or concerns about killing zombies. That said yes, it's amazing how a gun in a TV series or movie can influence a gun buying public. Who could forget Chuck Connors as the Rifleman with that custom big loop lever gun?

While none of this has anything to do with the cost of a New Model Python it is interesting how the media has an effect on what we buy.

Ron

There are some guns for me when it was just love at first sight. Python is one of them but more so was Walther P5. When it was in production, I was dirt poor and sought it was very expensive. I always wanted it NIB, so I never got it, even when I had more money. Lesson learned - if you really want something, just get it, even if you have to make some reasonable sacrifices.

I chose the 686 for two reasons. I just prefer the cylinder release design for one. And, I worry about the future of Colt. Why spend twice the price on the same thing and not be assured parts and support will be available. I don't think Smith and Wesson is going anywhere. But Colt just can't seem to keep itself out of bankruptcy.

It just occurred to me that if S&W put a stepped vent rib on the 686, there would be absolutely not point to the Colt Python.

I am 100% saying the visual appeal of the Python is that stepped rib as Mothers Mag Polish will make a stronger, better action, 7 shot cylinder 686 shine just like the Python.

Maybe S&W should look into that and call it another Performance Center version of the 686. Not really a dumb idea. Cause their 5" 686 Pro with vented strap is one ugly creature.

I would buy that at $1,200. Today.

Last edited:
You really think spending an afternoon with wheel polish and a rag will result in a 686 as well finished as the Python?

I'd still like to know when the L frame grew larger and stronger.

Seems to me some people can't differentiate between the old Python and the new one.

Having rag with Mothers a 686, several Taurus 66s, and a GP100...absolutely. There is nothing special about the Python finish that a $7 Mother Polish won't do. Hate to bum anyone out that thinks that finish is patented. :D

The old Python will go out of time before a 686. The Python Elite died quickly as it had an even worse timing issue. No long term shooting of the current Python, but do we know the current Python's action is improved?

S&W probably stole the frame size from the Python, but we know the frame is bigger in the S&W because the 686 Plus accommodates a 7th chamber. The Python cannot. New or old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back