Is Colt Python 2020 worth $1,500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually people compare Pythons to S&W 686 or others in .357 but MHO some polished .357 mag Rugers both blue and stainless are quite beautiful. I dont know how they shoo though.

Without getting into money value I don’t think any S&W, Ruger or Colt of today’s manufacture is worth $1K. There was “expert” on You Tube video recently that was expounding on the new guns being better than old for shooting purposes. You don’t argue with such people. They know so little they aren’t worth your time. Guy was trying to sell MIM parts as better than milled steel. There was a point in gun making that the craftsmanship and materials reached the peak. We are past that point. There will be advances in materials and processes but the Golden Age is behind us. The new generation of guns with be like baseball bats. They will do the job but have no class or character.

I have to agree in the sense that neither the new incarnation of the Python or the S&W 586/686 are worth anywhere over a grand.

They are only worth it to the folks that think they are worth it. I have the Python (pre 2020) and the 686, and they are both worth it, but one of each is plenty.

I have to agree in the sense that neither the new incarnation of the Python or the S&W 586/686 are worth anywhere over a grand.

And yet most buyers seen to think the Pythons are worth double that. Good luck finding one for $1,500 in today’s market. $2,000 is pretty much the going rate right now.

My local dealer offered me a shorter barrel 2020 Python for $1,500. I only wanted 6" one though. Most people want 6", probably because it is perceived to work better against zombies.

Last year the grandkids were visiting and brought friends. All in the 17 yo range, give or take. When the granddaughter told them that I had the “Walking Dead pistol”, they all wanted to shoot it and make selfies and videos with it. The Python was a big hit.

TWD is the sole reason the Python went up in value.

Sorry.

It's traceable though data from the auction sites/gun.deals/gunwatcher.

Season 2 of the The Walking Dead it started having interest and started having "value."

Recall, the S&Ws were around when the Python declined. The S&Ws started kicked the Python's trash on durability and a great factory trigger--all at a better price. Then the GP100 came in at cheaper. That is the history of the Python. Recall, the 686 came out at the time when people claim "hand fitting" and greatness was alive and well. So the 686 no dash also gets that (false) claim of being better than the current 686-6. I see zero difference. In fact, the current is more improved over the original 686.

:)

Last edited:
It looks like S&W would definitely benefit from a sequel of Dirty Harry in this market, possibly scaling down to .357 magnum from .44.

It's all thanks to "Rick Grimes" acting sheriff in The Walking Dead with a Python. It's traceable in purchase price data.

At only $100 difference, the 686 became the elite class level revolver over the GP100. Having owned lots of both, the 686 has always been better.

Glock contracts doomed all revolvers sending them for significant thinning.

Something interesting happened in 2018/2019 where Ruger proved the 686 frame larger. Recall--frames don't fail on these guns. However, the new 7 shot model 1771 Ruger GP100 failed at roll out 20 years after the 7 shot 686. In the 1771, some factory rims touch each other and pushing the rounds out of chamber. Some do this and some don't. The 686 cylinder is larger and will not fit in a GP100 frame--ie the frame is bigger on the 686 than the often repeated "tank" GP100.

Now. Take that to a Python. While same size, the 686 is a 7 shot in a larger frame that feels the same.

On timing strength--the Python is a myth. Recall the Python Elite dead quickly as it came out of time fast.

So no only is the timing stronger in the 686 than the poorly timed Python, it's also got 7 round cylinder due to a bigger "L"--while feeling the same.

A $7 Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish can makes the 686 shine like the Python. Even made a few of my Taurus 66 revolvers shine like the Python. Pictured is one of my 66s half way through a polish. Note the shiny barrel.

It's TWD that makes people buy the Python today. You will get a better revolver with the 686. Without a doubt the Performance Center 686 is the better trigger. The only downside of the 686 is appearance of the now faked case hardening of the hammer and trigger. Other than that...No. The Python is worth 1,500 to TWD people. TV show appeal. The workhorse is the 686 followed by the GP100. The PC 686 if you want a factory trigger and enjoy the looks of the flat barrel (I don't).

Based on looks the Python is worth 1,500. Anything else? No. And that performance difference is had at half the price in the stronger 686.

tnCsp2cm.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it's worth whatever the current market will bear. In my view, Colt's always put a $premium on that Pony logo with no add'l shooting value to back it up.

I've shot both Smith and Colt revolvers since the mid-60's and have strong preferences for the Smiths. Better in DA as well as SA mode of shooting, and with consistent accuracy, the Smiths of my youth, right up to now, have always performed better.

Nowadays, with a S&W, you'll be able to find parts for the old ones, and gunsmiths to work on them, and their factory customer service has always been first rate if there's a problem. But to each shooter, and that's all I'm addressing these remarks to...shooters not collectors...if the rampart colt is what you want, go for it. There are enough positive reviews extant, to justify a purchase.

Best Regards,

Well, it's worth whatever the current market will bear. In my view, Colt's always put a $premium on that Pony logo with no add'l shooting value to back it up.

I've shot both Smith and Colt revolvers since the mid-60's and have strong preferences for the Smiths. Better in DA as well as SA mode of shooting, and with consistent accuracy, the Smiths of my youth, right up to now, have always performed better.

Nowadays, with a S&W, you'll be able to find parts for the old ones, and gunsmiths to work on them, and their factory customer service has always been first rate if there's a problem. But to each shooter, and that's all I'm addressing these remarks to...shooters not collectors...if the rampart colt is what you want, go for it. There are enough positive reviews extant, to justify a purchase.

Rod, yeah, me too. I hate to sound harsh towards the "modern" Colt and Smith products but in my opinion the Smith's from decades past were always just as good as the Colts and more reasonably priced. And that is not to say I don't really like my old Colts.

Nowadays? Who knows? It's all up for grabs I suppose. I hope at least one of those two companies can get there crap together and put out some good versions of their revolvers reasonably priced.

I never ached for a 686 like I did for a Python. The Python was something I had to have, and I paid $365 for it at a gun show in the early 80’s, with no expectation of it appreciating. I bought it to shoot. And 40 years later it still (gasp) never got out of time. A few years ago I bought a 686 so I could give the Python less abuse. It’s a good revolver. Equally as accurate as the Python, but it isn’t a Python. The 686 is a tool. but the Python is a work of art.

The 2020 Python is a knock-off from the original. The quality, fit and finish doesn't match the old ones. If Colt had faithfully replicated the Python of the past, the MSRP would be closer to $4 grand. High manufacturing cost was the driving force of it's discontinuation years ago.
It's a cool looking gun and will certainly impress your buddies at the range but it ain't the same Python David Sole carried in "Starsky and Hutch". David Sole also played in Clint Eastwood's 'Magnum Force' 1973 where he used a Python in that movie as well. (Sole was one of the "dirty" cops.) His performance landed him his own TV series in '75. Huggy Bear didn't carry.

The Python has never been on my list, bucket or otherwise. No Colt revolver ever has been, really. Colt Govt Model or a 1911A1, oh hell yeah, but Colt revolvers were always "meh" to me and overpriced.

This comes, at least in part, from about 71 or so when I first began paying attention to what guns cost. Went with my Dad to a sporting goods store, and noticed two of the guns in their pistol case, a S&W Model 28, and a Colt Trooper Mk III.

The S&W was $140, the Colt was $188. Asked Dad if the the Colt was that much better, he said no. Asked why it was so much more, and he said the only reason he knew was that it said C O L T on it....

Nothing I've found in life since has proven him wrong about that...

The Python was always beyond our reach. I came from a family of "limited means" and it was always just too expensive, despite being pretty.

After I went into the service, I learned my Dad had raised a family of four on what the Army paid a private E-1. I respected the hell out of him for that, among other things.

Years later, I had a good paying job, and could afford the "snake" but I never wanted one, I had other things I wanted more most cost less, and some cost a lot more.

The 2020 guns are not the same as the old Pythons. Close, but not the same. If you've got the money, and want one then for you, its worth it. For me, they're not. and never were.

Just to add

A gun (or any product) is only worth what you are willing to pay for it.

Simple as that.

Some will easily pay $1500, some will not touch that price with a ten foot pole. I simple don't like DAs of any brand so will not buy them except as a 'duty'/'tool' gun. Ie. I CC a .44 Special Bulldog. Light and practical for this application, so makes sense. But I would rather be shooting my SAs any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back