High speed handgun pictures

I'm taking direct digital signal from trigger. It's faster and more precise.

I have some eye candy for you:

FN_4_800_2.jpg

Taken with wider lens than previous ones so you can see bullet slightly behind although barrel is directly from side.

There is three picture set in high res on my site.

Direct digital signal from the trigger?

Not getting the image, if you forgive the phrase.

How do you adjust the timing of the flash?

I assume this is basically a BULB setting on the camera then the flash triggers and you close the shutter on the camera.

How is the trigger sending the signal to the flash?

I think I read in previous posts the flash can be delayed in millionths of seconds, so you dial in X/milsec delay after trigger signal?

That makes sense (though I go back to older ways of kicking in the delay), but I am interested in your trigger flash controller.

Very nicely done imaging!!

Your basement probably is a bit noisy...custom sqib loads?

With simple micro switch and micro controller with disconnecting meaning just I/0 (from high to low). Then x amount of microseconds until triggering command to flash. Typically around 2700 us delay with CCI standard but up to 4000 us with Remington Thunderbolt. Bulb can be used but it requires pitch black place. It's better to time all events within 500 milliseconds (0.5s) to avoid light buildup on sensor. I've used actuator to trigger gun so that all goes automatically but makes things many times more error prone.

Basement can handle .22lr but not quite rifle calibers. Haven't tried but I'd guess it to be challenging to stop .308 :rolleyes:

Basement can handle .22lr but not quite rifle calibers. Haven't tried but I'd guess it to be challenging to stop .308

Careful with firing guns indoors, without proper ventilation overtime you could develop dangerous levels of lead in your body, aka lead poisoning.

Yes, I try to but it is on limit whether it's reasonable or not. Variance makes things much more difficult with that approach. And there are more possible failing points. It's better to keep things simple :)

Couple of AR-15 studies for rifle shooters (and others as well):

AR-15_FINAL_3_800.jpg

AR-15_FINAL_4_800.jpg

Bullet is rather long Hornady 75gr and although it doesn't work best with 1:9 twist it certainly looks good in pictures. :)

OK...I am still baffled.

Oh, if I am getting into areas that are proprietary to you, I totally understand. Just say so and I will stop bugging you and enjoy the pics.

So, three things need to happen to make your pics. The shutter has to be open -conventional DSLR or something trickier?

A really hot flash.

A bullet going out a muzzle

The synchronization I am still not getting.

Is there a servo setup to actuate the trigger and set the delay for the flash?

The camera shutter speed response is no where near what you need to capture these images in the wild..but maybe you pop your shutter for.....1/2 secs or so then fire the weapon with a servo that triggers the firing sequence and flash delay?

In very basic it is very simple:
1. Shutter open
2. Gun fire
3. Flash to flash

In a bit complicated form it goes like this.
1. I push button to initiate sequence.
2. Micro controller counts to few seconds. Just for safety and my comfort
3. Shutter opens for 0.5 seconds and circuit sends signal to actuator
4. Servo actuator triggers gun and micro controller knows exact time by switch in trigger or hammer (switch happens to be disconnecting I -> 0). Servo actuator has too much fluctuation to trust on that alone.
5. Micro controller counts typical delay of around 500 to 4700 microseconds and triggers flash
6. If nothing failed and theoretical delay met reality I have picture in my camera (D800).

Ahhh...got it. You have a servo/actuator setup. Nice bit of electronics buildout.

Then how many misses do you get before you have a successful image?

I do miss, sometimes a lot :o

It's relatively easy to get bullet in frame but getting it precise spot within fraction of inch is whole another game. There is surprisingly amount of variation between shots. Don't know where it comes from, my setup most likely, but it can also be primer igniting powder phase.

A bit of black and white art.

AR-15_FINAL_1_1200%20BW.jpg

That bullet wobble seems to be issue of .22lr and overall short and slow handgun bullets. Theory says that they tend to stabilize within few yards. I'm no expert though and someone can give better explanation and correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm happy to put information on my site if somebody is willing to make good explanation on it. Got some unpublished additional material from .22lr silencer tests regarding wobble :)

NOW..your 9 image shot really has me baffled. No DSLR cycles that fast. In the old days, you had about 500 ft of film hooked up to a Chevy shortblock to pull it thru a camera in 2 secs.

I dont see a sigital cam capturing this quickly.

.?????.

Hi a/c,

Yeah, the shots would have to come from a purpose-built camera like that. I would love to see the full spec buildout of the system, but I figger a lot of what he has is proprietary.

Back