High speed handgun pictures

could you get multiple bullets in a single pic from a full-auto? I know 900rpm isn't that fast, so they might be too far apart to do it

could you get multiple bullets in a single pic from a full-auto? I know 900rpm isn't that fast, so they might be too far apart to do it

Probably not. Even a Minigun firing at 6000 rpm (100 rounds per second) will have the first bullet about 28 ft down range before the second one leaves the barrel assuming a 2800 fps muzzle velocity.

A .45acp submachine gun at 1200 rpm will have the bullets 45 ft apart if the bullets travel 900 fps.

Couple STI Trubor pics for race gunners :)

STI_1_1000_WEB.jpg

Trubor_1000_WEB.jpg

More high speed photography

I didn't realize that so much gas leaked past the bullet, or is the bullet pushing the smoke from a previous shot out of the barrel ahead of it?

I didn't realize that so much gas leaked past the bullet, or is the bullet pushing the smoke from a previous shot out of the barrel ahead of it?

What you see is the expanding gas (and bits of unburnt powder, etc.) leaving the barrel faster than the bullet. It is lighter than the bullet and travels faster. Once clear of the barrel it expands rapidly in all directions. It's this propellant charge that pushes the bullet forward. Some leaks past the bullet as it travels down the barrel. This gas is what we see as the muzzle flash, smoke and bits of detritus leaving the barrel.

tipoc

Back