High speed handgun pictures

Ok, summer break is over (although break was because of a equipment update).
New improved setup should make it possible to create even better quality images. Here is a sample of test run.

Pistol is old Lahti L-35 9mm.

Lahti_L-35_2_1000.jpg

Blast flower:
Lahti_L-35_1000.jpg

Full set on site again:
http://kuulapaa.com/home/highspeed/index.html

the progression of the shot coming out of the wad is awesome. the luger even has old timey looking smoke. thanks for posting your beautiful pictures.

Just wanted to add; I took the time to view the stereoscopic images, but whilst your test image worked perfectly, non of the real shots were able to focus properly.

I'd get them mostly focused, but they'd always get to the same point and go no further :(

Yeah, viewing them on a large screen isn't helping, i can focus on the smaller test image, and i can get the gun pics to work, but they don't come into full focus, they stay slightly blurred.

Welcome back. Very fine stuff indeed.

It's a skull allright, but not a human one. A fire demon, you can see them around every now and then. Scary sh*t, huh?

Reminds me of an old ('50's or '60's) science fiction story where they got super high speed photos of a nuclear explosion and saw a laughing devil's head in the mushroom cloud. Heh. In the story it WAS the devil laughing at the human race for creating such a device.

Yeah, viewing them on a large screen isn't helping, i can focus on the smaller test image, and i can get the gun pics to work, but they don't come into full focus, they stay slightly blurred.

Try to make pictures smaller (CTRL + mouse wheel) or (select smaller magnification from web browser).

This is a bit easier than ones with bullet flying towards you:
FIN_SW_A_3D_800.jpg

Can you get this work?

Yes, i can get that one to work, thanks, interestingly, i get to the same half focused point, and it sits there for another few seconds before i can get the sharp definition.

That didn't happen on the others. I wonder if it's anything to do with resizing (initial image work, not scaling in the browser) as i know the old magic eye pics had that problem on computers.

*Edit - hmm, just went and looked at the pics on page 6 of this thread and was able to view them ok, i'll check the ones back on your site later. I *think* the focus level is linked to how cross-eyed you are, if that's off, even if the 'middle' picture is clearly bordered, i can't seem to *fully* focus on the center image.

Yesterday I heard that one of my shooting buddies had an incident at range. Nothing too serious but an eye injury. Da*n, eyes again? Hopefully it's not a permanent one.
Guess if he had his eye protection on? No, he did not, so in addition to thousands already existing warnings I made a simple picture with clear message:

Protection_1000.jpg

Eye protection link

I can say I'm on mission: This picture is something I ask you to post and send forward and even print to you local range wall.

Don't gamble with your eyes - you can only lose in that game!

Yep, they were taken with new gear. It was pain in the @ss but it was worth it :)

Anyway, there has been discussion about bullet wobble in couple of forums and here is one picture, which may show an example.

Wobble%20combined_800.jpg

I don't say that bullets wobble, but they seem to be slightly tilted.
What do you think?

I would think it wobbles like a badly thrown football. Maybe the cast bullet had an air pocket and the wobble represents the bullet spinning around its off-center center of mass.

That's definitely not the first pic I've seen that 'bullet crookedness' It's sort of interesting as most pistols have fairly fast twist rates, and short projectiles, so they should be more than stabilized. Maybe that's the problem, they're being spun a bit too fast, and it's causing the bullet to 'tilt' I've read about that happening with 'overspun' rifle bullets having a slight 'tilt' which will reduce the ballistic coefficient of said projectile.

Just to give an example. A 9mm Kahr has a 1:10'' twist for 9x19
If we fire a 124 grain Nosler hollowpoint with a length of .56'' @ 1100FPS, projectile has a stability factor of 13.9 according to Berger's twist calculator.

A stability factor of 1.5 is considered stable, 2 is usually considered ideal stability. This particular example has an SG of 13.9 which is very high. A lighter/shorter bullet would have an even higher factor, still.
Bullets do not follow a laser beam-like, perfectly straight line to the target, nor does the nose of the bullet always point exactly at the point of aim. Multiple forces are in effect that may cause the bullet to yaw (rotate side to side around its axis), tilt nose-up (pitch), or precess (like a spinning top) in flight. These effects (in exaggerated form) are shown below:
bulletspin02.gif

Last edited:
Back