High speed handgun pictures

I knew all bullets would wobble, but I guess I didn't expect the magnitude of the distance it would do so would be so large.

Only a couple of inches in this pic. The bullet is not stabilized in flight yet. The spin stabilizes it in flight.

Years ago Elmer Keith commented on how his loads for the 44 Magnum would penetrate deeper into railroad ties laid side by side than rounds from a 30-06 rifle would at 20 yards distance. He thought it an oddity.

Years earlier Julian Hatcher had explained the phenomena. The army had experimented shooting the 30-06 at various distances through various objects. They got more penetration at 50 yards than at 10 or 20.

Elsewhere on the interwebs there are vids of bullets leaving the muzzle, You can clearly see the wobble.

Excellent pics as always Fingunner!

tipoc

I have .22 silencer for my rifle and plan to take some pictures of it. I'd guess it to reduce radically the gas cloud and flash. I also have .223rem silencer but current shooting environment (read basement) won't support shooting AR indoors :(

The first photo posted reminds me of jets breaking the sound barrier. The wake and swirls amazingly show physics is the same whether a bullet leaving a gun or an F/A-18C Hornet exceeding sound. Awesome photos.

pb-110603-hornet-934p.photoblog900.jpg

Definitely impressed by the images. I can only imagine how much easier this must be in a digital age than it was with film & developing, but I know almost nothing whatsoever about photography.

If you were in the United States, I could see you making money simply by offering a service to photograph customer's guns "in action." Now who wouldn't want such an incredible image or two of their favorites at work?

I'd also have to say that the photos of the targets being hit are perhaps even more stunning than the muzzle shots of projectiles in flight.

I am certainly looking forward to see what you add to the site!

Thanks Sevens

I've been away in countryside this week and only web connection is ipad, which typically lacks tools to update site. But what I have done is a comparison between rifle and silenced one. In addition shot some golf balls and couple playing cards in half etc. So, interesting stuff coming up when I get back home :D

You can tip me if you have any suggestions what to shoot. I noticed that anything liquid is perhaps not a good idea ;)

A real obvious suggestion on a target is a steel plate. That's what I shoot the most of on my range days. Of course, the plate doesn't do much other than fall over, but the bullet splatter would likely make a fantastic photo. You'll need protection for your devices, or they'll get fragged in short order.

I don't know about your area, but lately, "tannerite" has been the very popular target in the United States. It explodes when hit, and would also make for some wild photos. Again -- your equipment might certainly get damaged. :(

I think the targets you've shown thus far are tremendous. The pictures seem to be all you would hope you might see, if you could pause time at the moment of truth. To say that I am impressed is an understatement. ;)

I'll check what I can do with metal objects. Without shielding it may be bit risky though. One option could be to shoot target at 45 degree angle and take picture from behind. This makes focusing difficult compared to side shot and narrow dept of field can render fragments unsharp.

Let's see :)

Fingunner,

Those were awesome photos, thank you for sharing your work with us here.

Your photos reminded me of Ramesh Raskar presentation of femto-photography at TED Talks, where he shows stills taken at one trillion frames per second. This was fast enough to capture a beam of light passing through a coke bottle filled with water.

These photos are amazing! I definitely agree that a business opportunity might be seen here if you were to offer photos of people's guns. I know I think it would be cool to have an image of one of my milsurp rifles like that.

Back