FBI Raids Liberty Dollar – Confiscates All Ron Paul Dollar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maned, apparently you did not watch "that silly conspiracy video". It was actually two separate videos. The first one broadly talked about the history of the Federal Reserve. The second one was a "sales pitch", if you will, from the creator of the liberty dollar. Hoping they would spark some intelligent debate.

I certainly don't want to violate posting rules here...mods please advise if I am.

Re "drive by posts":
Drive-by posts have become all to common and will be deleted. Continued abuse will result in a ban from L&P. Drive-by posts are characterized as: being devoid of substance; attempting to advance an agenda without credible citations; no intelligent comment to the topic at hand.

I don't recall trying to advance any agenda. I try to include citations in my posts; their value is subject to debate, which is, of course welcome. Hint: Simply calling someone an idiot, or other pejorative, is not an effective debating tactic, and doesn't advance the discussion as far as I can tell.

As a general statement, if we want to discuss financial "scams" perpetrated throughout history, the erosion of the buying power of the US dollar is a supernova compared to any firecracker the liberty dollar might be.

Re: Strength of the USD...An interesting tidbit, recently the mics were left on at an OPEC conference...overheard the Venezuela and Iran ministers advocating pegging the price of oil to some other currency. Saudi minister argued against the idea, while acknowledging that the move would destroy US economy. Leads one to ponder where the actual power lies.

I remember travelling around Mexico in the -80's, before the "nuevo peso" was introduced. Carrying thousands (stacks) in paper currency in order to buy groceries. And the US dollar was preferred. Sometimes, in the cities, "window washer kids" would jump up on the truck and smear your windshield, then hold their hands out for a tip. We'd keep boxes of centavo coins handy, and just grab a handful for them. It got to the point where these poor kids would spit and throw the coins back in your face :eek:; they were so worthless.

The liberty dollar seems like one attempt to address the issue. Might have been successful, but we may never know now.

If China, Japan, or Saudi decides to pull the plug on our currency, we'll be in for an interesting rollercoaster ride, eh?

Manedwolf,
Silver Eagles, eh?
I don't suppose you'd know who was instrumental in creating those, would you? (H.R. 6054)

Yeah, they may have seen me coming. I was buying bars rather than coins. I got a fine price on purchase, but they refused to pay anything near spot when I brought 'em in. :D

They're dealers, they want to make a profit. Just like trying to sell a gun to a dealer at a show. You're not going to be offered the full value. Ever.

Sell metals online on places like eBay and people will bid well over spot in auction fever, especially if the hype text is good and the photos are professional.

If you want to be involved in any market, you need to know how to maximize profits and who to sell things to.

No doubt, but this has little if anything to do with the topic at hand.

My point simply being that it's kind of hard to scam anybody by minting coins that contain more value in precious metal than their face value. It's not quite at that point yet, but will be soon.
Seems to me that $20 is a reasonable price to ask for $15 worth of silver and the attendant work that has gone into them. I'm not seeing a profit margin here.

Back in the 90's I got into gold panning. Over a course of about a year of weekends finding some 4 0z!

Try selling home gown gold! It assayed out to 85% Gold, 10% Silver and ballance Copper and other trace!

Everyone wanted some handling fee, Proccess fee, Because Fee!

I ended up Putting it back where it came from!:D

I Put a few grains of it in semi course river sand, In a plastic bag. Sold it as a gold panning kit at the Rock Hound Roundup for $10 each with a $3.00 plastic gold pan.

Made a killing!:D

Gold is a Most Attractive Comodity!

People would buy one , take it home, play with it a come back and buy four more!:cool:

Well, are you seeing the scam of trying to use a Ron Paul "dollar" as legal US currency? Did you see the "hints" posted by the scammer about how to try and pass off the Ron Paul "dollar" as legal US tender to merchants?

What a rip-off, and a silly rip-off at that. A rip-off with Ron Paul's face plastered all over it. RP should have exercised better judgment and declined to allow some weird fringe group to use his name and likeness.

Fake government money, indeed. :rolleyes:

I fail to see how any of what you're pointing to is a "scam".

The person bought a coin marked as $20 for $20 and (if he was successful) exchanged it for $20 worth of goods and services. The recipient now has a coin containing $15 worth of silver marked as $20 and is now worth what on e-bay? $200 or more?
Heck, I wish somebody would have 'defrauded' me out of some goods 'n' services with these things. I could use the extra cash flow.

If anybody's getting over on this 'scam', it's certainly not the guy who made it.

Last edited:
Just a thought, but, if I wanted to launder some drug money,that would be a gggggrrrreeeeaaaattt place to cover your hinnie. Who keeps the books? Production,Distribution,Spot Purchases. WOW!!!!!, this is going to be a great story.:D:D

Boggs has nothing to do with currency, he's an artist

Slash, I know JSG Boggs. He's a friend of my brother's and has been to my house.

The "currency" he draws is art/comedy. He'll make a $20 bill, perfect in every detail, except it will be purple, and instead of Jefferson's picture, he'll draw his own picture, and instead of "In God We Trust" it will say something silly like "In Boggs We Trust".

He "spends" the money by going and buying a cup of coffee and asking for the waitress to bring him change in American money. He always keeps receipts. He also takes pictures of the whole transaction.

If the waitress is smart, she takes the "money." A few days later, he sells the information about where he "spent" the latest Boggs note to collectors. Those collectors will then swarm on that waitress, and if she's smart, she'll have a really nice payday. The lucky collector will then go to Boggs to buy the receipts and the photos. Their goal is to collect the Boggs note itself, but also all the associated evidence of the transaction.

I have a Boggs Sakegewea (sp?) dollar. It looks exactly like the real thing, except it is orange and plastic.

Boggs does this to various currencies around the world, and some governments have a sense of humor about the whole thing. Ours is not one of them. They can never convict him because no one ever believed his notes were currency. They're obviously art. But every time they put him on trial and give him some publicity and notoriety, he gets richer.

I'm surprised to learn he's locked up on drug charges. As far as I knew, he was into drinking, poker, and his art, but not drugs.

Last edited:
One of the points in the affidavits supporting this raid and seizure was that the Liberty Dollar corporation was making a profit selling the silver.

Did you catch that?

They were making a PROFIT!

Heaven forbid! This is America, not some free-market laissez-faire capitalist country, after all!!

mvpel? I admit to not making the 1-800 connection. My bad.

All I can say is that when I see "888" I automatically think of one thing... Just like I think of another when I see "88." :o

I'm just curious, what was a guy who makes his living spreading the word about the illegal dollar and wanting to repeal the federal reserve doing with bank accounts the feds could freeze?

That is an out-freakin'-standing question! :) BillCA, Manedwolf, and azredhawk speak wisely. mvpel, you make excellent points as well.

Sorry I jumped in with hobnailed boots, Antipitas. It just gets a little tiresome when anything even tangentially associated with Ron Paul is immediately assumed to be some sort of oddball conspiracy theory or cult, when the man is such a kind, warm, friendly, intelligent and forthright guy.

He's the kind of guy you might wish you had for a grandfather, or at the very least could chat with about weighty issues over a nice dinner.

The reason he and his presidential campaign was honored on the face of copper, silver, and gold medallions is because for decades he has been a tireless advocate for sound currency and a steadfast opponent of the Federal Reserve system and the violence it is doing to the value of our money. He sponsored the bill that established the US Mint's bullion Eagle program.

In Chinese, the word for "8" sounds like "getting rich." Anyone want to buy my 1888 Morgan Silver Dollar for well in excess of "spot price?"

Here's something that you won't pay "spot+" for anywhere on the planet:
2004_S_70.jpg

A PR70DCAM commands a significant premium over an MS69. All the Liberty Dollar medallions are PR and DCAM, not MS. They're very beautiful specimens of the minter's art in their own right.

I'm just curious, what was a guy who makes his living spreading the word about the illegal dollar and wanting to repeal the federal reserve doing with bank accounts the feds could freeze?

And what else would you have him do? Keep his capital in the form of Hot Wheels cars? Cheerios? :confused:
"Yeah, I need to purchase 700 kilograms of copper. I've got my bowling balls right outside"....
Or how 'bout this one:
"Purchase your Liberty dollars today! Sorry, we don't accept cash, checks, money orders, American Express, Visa....."

It would seem pretty obvious to me why he had accounts the Feds could freeze.

mvpel,
There are a couple of people on this board who are guaranteed to show up and harangue Dr. Paul every chance they get. Even if he's never mentioned in a thread they're sure to bring him up (and then complain how "tired" they are hearing about him). They usually end up making themselves look silly. May as well get used to it.

Right, he has accounts the feds could freeze because his scheme to replace US money with Liberty Dollar "inflation proof" money isn't ever going to catch on.

von Nuthouse sort of reminds me of the end of the world author who was making lots of money in 1999 selling books on the Y2K end of the world events about to unfold and then somebody discovered that not only was he making a profit that obviously would not be needed if the world ended, but he was making investments as well. The author obviously didn't truly believe in the end of the world that he was predicting. I don't think the Liberty people do either.

How on earth would you set up a mint creating "liberty dollars" and attempt to operate it on "liberty dollars"?? That'd require being compensated for your own product in your own product and paying your suppliers in the result of their own raw material. That's just a big pile of "huh?".
The only customers who would be able to pay you would be the ones who don't require your services. The only way you could compensate your suppliers would be if you already had their commodity. That's backwards.
Are you a business owner? :confused:

I mean, seriously...this is the most self-defeating business model in the history of....ever.
Yes, I'd like to purchase 300 liberty dollars.
Sure thing. That comes out to....300 liberty dollars....
(edit) I mean I'm not claiming I'm a business owner, but that doesn't even begin to make sense to me. (/edit)

Yep, at 5:35 he begins blatantly lying to merchants by telling them it's "the" new $10 silver piece. He is implying that it's the same as the govt cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back