9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP

I'm 58. I believe in covering as many bases as I can. Right now, my 9mm is top dog over my .32s and 9x18. Other calibers I will own eventually are .380, .40S&W, .45, 9x23 Winchester, and Oh yeah, the caliber I will be carrying most every day, 1CM.

9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP

61 yrs.

Don't have a "favorite", per se. It's just a handgun caliber.

As a younger man (and young cop) I once thought the only calibers worth owning & carrying were .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum & .45 ACP. That changed over time.

Throughout my career (also having served as a firearms instructor & armorer) I've carried issued weapons chambered in 9, .40 & .45 ACP.

I presently own an equal number of 9's & .40's (5/ea), but more .45's (9 pistols and 1 revolver).

I'd probably not even own any .40's if it hadn't been adopted as an optional duty caliber at one point, after which I carried a couple of them between issued 9's and .45's.

Unless I'm planning to go to somewhere that presents a higher risk potential, I prefer to carry one of my assorted 5-shot J's or a LCP.

I suppose I enjoy shooting my 9's the most, followed by my .45's and then the .40's.

When it comes to pistols all I shoot these days are 9mm and 45 ACP because I have lots of brass and it's easy to reload. I sometimes mix things up and shoot my 10mm 1911.

If I want a powerful handgun cartridge, I go to the 8" 44 mag.

Age & gun use?

Love my CZ Duty in 9mm.......but (and this is NOT one of your 3 picks) I sure enjoy my Ruger Redhawk in 44mag. Oh yeah, I'm 67 on Nov 13th.:D

Feel free to add any favorite, you already chose one out of the three! And Happy Birthday hot chile powder!

9mm and .45acp are my favorites. I am 32 years old. I don't own or shoot any other pistol calibers other than 9mm and .45acp, with the exception of .22lr and my .380 LCP when I need a really small CCW.

I am not a fan of the .40 S&W cartridge at all. I dabbled in 357 Sig and 10mm for awhile, but no longer own any. 9mm and .45acp cover 90% of my needs just fine.

I'm 23.

1) .45acp - first centerfire handgun (and still the only one) was .45acp. Love the gun and shoot it a lot.
2) 9mm - my next semi-auto purchase (I'm still trying to decide on a model) will be 9mm because the ammo is more affordable, which is a big deal for a college kid like myself.
3) .40S&W - very little interest in the round outside of the fact that I can find ammo for it much easier than 9mm or .45acp

Last edited:
58 years on this earth and up to six years ago I had only a .22 Buckmark. My, how things have changed in the last six years. Each caliber is liked for different reasons so I'll list in the order of what I have shot most:

1. 9mm
2. 40S&W
3. 45 Auto (acquired about six months ago)

Back