9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP

9mm handguns are only fit for women and Europeans.
Did you ever wonder why .45 is only really popular in America. And its not just women and Europeans, its the rest of the world the 9MM is the most used and popular calibre in the history of handguns. But maybe you know something the rest of the worlds police armies and civilians including the American army don't. PS I have a 1911 .45 I like the 1911 as a historic firearm and its not a 1911 unless its in .45 IMO.

Oh boy...he said it. He said the 1911 is a dinosaur.

Well, first of all, J.M.B. wanted the 1911 in .38 and only moved towards the .45 ACP because of U.S. army request. And back in the '20s the 38 super became the hot ticket to pierce through car doors.

I don't know of any common modern SA only semi autos. Sig and H&K are reputable, but they are DA/SA, and even in SA they have a mile of pretravel. They hold lots of bullets because you need all of them to knock a steel plate over, you can't bake plastic in an oven, and if you got a double stack .45 variant you need hands the size of Stallone. And even he used a 1911 in all the Expendable movies because whoever was the prop master knew what was good. Sigs are good and can be baked but aren't made out of metal. Alloy is glamourfied plastic.

The 1911 is a better CCW because it weighs twice as much as modern technology. That's so you remember it's there.

All kidding aside, through and through all competitions I have attended I can't help but notice the best, fastest, and most accurate competitors are running 1911s. Whether or not they have better training, they opt to shoot a 1911 which says something. In a typical gun fight I believe it is said that the first shot is the one that counts. Discounting caliber, if giving the choice, I'd prefer to be shot at with someone with an SR9 then a 1911 because I probably wouldn't get hit. Yea...I've seen you folks at the range.

Just turned 70 last month:

90% EDC (warm shorts weather) = Ruger LCP (soon to be a Kahr CT380)
10% EDC (cold jacket weather) = Kahr CW45.

31 and the Nine is Fine in my book. I've probably owned, fired and will own more different 9x19mm pistols than any other caliber, except maybe .38/357. :D

Gregory Gauvin said:
All kidding aside, through and through all competitions I have attended I can't help but notice the best, fastest, and most accurate competitors are running 1911s. Whether or not they have better training, they opt to shoot a 1911 which says something. In a typical gun fight I believe it is said that the first shot is the one that counts. Discounting caliber, if giving the choice, I'd prefer to be shot at with someone with an SR9 then a 1911 because I probably wouldn't get hit. Yea...I've seen you folks at the range.

We might shoot at the same range! Many is the time I've patched together a new target stand and quipped "the target might be the safest place to be." Yet I hear often how the shooter's newest HKGlockSWRugerColt is the "most accurate pistol I've ever owned!" You were worse before? :eek:

Actually...the range I shoot at hosts competitions. I was shooting a plain Jane 1911 milspec. First time. The owner came down to see how I was doing. Saw 1 ragged hole in the center of the target. Said "We do combat shoots here. Bring that."

This 67 year old cheapskate likes his 9MM S & W Glock 19 clone but I mostly shoot 22. I'm old and grew up with 22s and there is just something about a cowboy revolver and a cowboy rifle. They are affordable 22 cal. but they look like the guns I saw on TV and in the movies when I was a kid.

I just turned 30 and I have to go with a little of everything. 9mm is my favorite for the range, while .40 is my favorite for a smaller carry gun and .45 is my favorite if I am carrying a full size.

With the right clothes, ie a concealability, the .45 1911 is my choice, specifically, a Commander size gun. I'm 68 and have used the full size 5" model on a professional basis, 40+ yrs ago in a Southeast Asia country. Rod

9mm vs 40

I have both and shoot both well. I carry a 40 now ' Shield' but in the summer I carry a CM9. I think the 9mm is a better choice only because follow up shots seem easier faster.

My primary carry is a Glock 20 in 10mm and if I had to choose another caliber it would be a .357 sig by far. I would only use a 9mm for is targets. But out of the original thread topic out of .40, 9mm, or .45 acp, I would choose the 9mm. The 40 is a pretty unpleasant gun for me to shoot and the extra recoil and muzzle flip would make me pick a 9mm over it and the fact that the power and ballistics are so minimally more than the 9mm makes it not even worth it to me. And the .45 is a big bullet don't get me wrong but that is it you are gaining nothing more with a 45. It is very low velocity, low energy, low sectional density, low magazine capacity. You are just getting a big bullet. But like I said my primary carry for 2 and 4 legged critters is a G20 in 10mm

So a G22 kicks more than a G20? Maybe the larger grip on the 20 distributes the recoil more evenly across your palm?

Yeah its strange to me to. I have shot the G22, G27, and a Sig p226 and they all were more uncomfortable than my G20 even with full power loads.

I did have a G21 and it was very easy shooting, not much different tha my "tank" Sig220 ST. The Sig is an awesome gun, just heavy.

Back