Why not the 30-06?

I'm split over all this recoil stuff.I'll agree when I figured out I did not need a belted magnum to shoot game with,and built my 257 AI,I enjoyed shooting more and shot better.I collected what I shot with magnums,but the ease of shot placement with the .257 made for clean kills and confidence.

"A man has to know his own imitations" I have no doubt the man with a .250 Savage can feed his family venison.
And,you get good with your rifle by shooting t. I respect the choice to match the cartridge to the game,and a 30-06 is often more than is needed.

Not everone can have the equivalent of a golf bag full of irons and woods and putters. I daresay a LOT of hunters might have a deer rifle,a shogun,and a 22.
Those will be chosen for the typical game/terrain where the hunter hunts.A fellow in quail country will likely use a different shotgun than a guy in goose country. Still,the guy with the Rem 870 12 ga does not have to stay home.

He can show up.

I think the guy with the 30-06 can show up and hunt bout anything. He ony need that one rifle.Some guys have to buy baby shoes instead of more rifles.

I can see how shooting 20 or 40 rounds on the bench with the 30-06 can take a toll. Fair enough.But IMO,the first 5 or 10 are no big deal.At some point,they pound deeper . I recall an interview with Carlos Hathcock .He told a story about being mentored to shoot. There were many range sessions.Each range session was one shot. Only one shot.Then every possible observation about that shot was written down.

A fifty round session is not necessary. Firing three perfect shots might be better.
Three shots of 30-06 won't beat most people up.

How many shots do you need to shoot per hunt? The ideal is one.Maybe two.

Another factor is how you absorb recoil. If you are anticipating painful recoil,you might go stiff and tense.Your body will try to stop the recoil like an anvil or an oak tree.

You will spread the recoil over more distance and time if you know how to relax at the same time you securely hold the rifle. Don't let the scope cut your eye.Don't let the rifle take a run at you before it hits your shoulder.Attach yourself to the rifle. Then roll with it.Don't be an anvil. Be more like a willow.

Last edited:
Don't let the rifle take a run at you before it hits your shoulder.Attach yourself to the rifle. Then roll with it.Don't be an anvil. Be more like a willow.

This^^^ If you hold it like a .22 it's going to kick the snot out of you. I haven't found my limit yet.

I really don't understand the recoil issue. To me even a hot loaded 06 with a steel butt plate doesn't have much recoil.

My hat is off to you. I never was a svelte type even when I was in good shape 195 lbs of muscle and shoulders like Paul Bunyan.

I sure would not want to shoot an 06 with a steel butt even in my hay day. Granted better standing or kneeling.

I shot the 7mm RM standing before I sold it and it was, man, you were a lot tougher a few years ago.

All day with my HB Savages has me jerking the trigger at times.

I sure would not want to shoot an 06 with a steel butt even in my hay day. Granted better standing or kneeling.

I used to do it almost every Saturday afternoon, sitting. When I was a teenager all my rifles had steel butt plates. My shotgun did too, so I guess I just learned to handle recoil at an early age.

5yrs ago I had 68 CF rifles. I sold all the magnum hunting rifles the biggest being 375H&H.
Then sold off the bottom end and got rid of HV Varmit guns only keeping a few of them. Then sold off some run of the mill stuff like Rem 700s, InterArms, ect. I was down to about half but have since backslid and bought more rifles. ( it's a sickness) I use a 30/30 or 35 for hunting in heavy cover, iron sights. I use 308 or 30/06 for broken terrain and 270 for open
terrain. The 30/06 is actually the biggest rifles I have kept. I do have a 45/70 but it's not near the cartridge a 30/06 is. If I only had one rifle to keep it would be 30/06. It would be on the light side for big bears but would handle anything else in North America. One of my favorite deer rifles is a old Win 1895 with steel butt plate. It does rap you a bit but hunting
you don't notice it.

A whole lot Less recoil?

And a whole lot less muzzle blast in anything less than a 26" barrel. I'll shoot a 30-06 comfortably with a 22" bbl. That same bbl length with a belted mag is brutal.

If I only had one rifle to keep it would be 30/06. It would be on the light side for big bears

I wold guess 10x the number of AK bears (you know the big ones from the really big Kodiak Island Browns to South Central to South East) were taken by 30-06 in the day when killing them to keep them away from property and families were common.

My step dads father shot 8. Picture of one had a head as big as the front of a Jeep grill.

The OP title was "Why not the 30-06?"

We just had suggestions of 7mm mag,300 mag,and 308 as supposedly ?better" choices,all by the same guy.

I guess the point is one reason to NOT own a 30-06 is if you have some emotional reason or preference or you just don't want a 30-06.

That's OK. That's why they make a lot of other cartridges.Feel free! Enjoy what you like. Really.

But Dahermit,how you "feel" about the 30-06 is not any reason for another person to choose or not choose the 30-06.

For many other folks its a very sound choice. So is a 270,a 308,etc.

If a person asks me " I'm thinking 30-06. Is there any reason I should not get one?" I might suggest "Shoot one. Here,try mine"

But,30-06? Good choice! (Among many other good choices)

That ignores the slippery slope of just going to a .308 to get less recoil and be done with it.

Well the question was what the 30-06 offers vs a specific list of calibers.

Less recoil is certainly less.

We arn't talking about the least recoil to be broadly effective (that would be 6.5 something or the other in my book)

On the other hand the 06 has proven it can handle anything up to Big Bears just fine . There is no fully free lunch.

But there is no reason an 06 is not fully capable of anything in Nord America and most o or all of what Africa offers (given Cape Buff that are better shot with a cannon of some kind (and yes other calibers are as well, 7.5 Swiss etc )

I beg to differ. Despite the admonition of the training Sgt.s that the M1 did not "kick", it kicked the living heck out of me. We had a course of fire at Fort Knox called, "Trainfire" consisting of human shaped silhouettes that would pop-up at random distances after a horn sounded. A hit would knock the silhouette down and you would be scored with a hit. Long story short, when I first started out firing I hit nearly every target no matter what distance (you had to quickly estimate the distance and fire before the target dropped out of sight), they were. I was easily shooting in the expert class. However, as the shooting went on, I got so beat-up from the recoil I began to miss some of the targets. In the end, I qualified as a "Sharpshooter"...five hits from obtaining the top score of "Expert".

Also, some years ago I fired my M1 in NRA local service rifle matches taking home third place in as many matches...beating several of the guys who traveled to out of state matches to compete. Then, I bought a Colt H-Bar to shoot in the matches. The very first match in which I competed, I shot the highest score I had ever fired...High Master. I would have taken a first in that match except for the fact that some damned "kid"...a rifle instructor for the National Guard had been competing in that match and beat me.

I attribute the difference between my shooting the M1 and the Colt H-bar .223, was the recoil...30-06's have always kicked the hell out of me and it was evident in my shooting.

The "S" stocked M1903 Springfield - will kick the hell out of you.

The M1 Garand - is just a harsh mistress... that requires good tight field positions when you take her dancin'.

:D

Red

Last edited:
If, as so many people claim, the muzzle velocities of 150-grain bullets are near equal for the .308 and '06, how can the recoils be very much different?

The lesser powder charge of the .308 probably means maybe a 5% reduction in recoil. That's not very much. Can your shoulder tell the difference?

No gettin' around the physics.

That said, the recoil produced by those 150 gr. .308 rifles is tolerable, and even neglectable in a heavier rifle of one w/ a proper recoil pad.

The problem is when you go to heavier bullets.

The .270 Win/.280 Rem shine because they take that tolerable/neglectable recoil and wrap it around a high BC/high SD 150 gr. bullet, so you don't need to go heavier.

Red

The .270 Win/.280 Rem shine because they take that tolerable/neglectable recoil and wrap it around a high BC/high SD 150 gr. bullet, so you don't need to go heavier.

Wow, a 270 is certainly tolerably, non existent? Not by my experience. Recoil wise a 30-06 and 270 are close enough (with the edge to 270) to be a toss up.

270 has some abilities in the high BC and longer range on trajectory though that is inches in several feet out at 600 yards.

But this is Why Not the 30-06, not long range shooting (6.5 rules there) or recoil.

Like the 7.5 Swiss, 06/ 8mm (granted that nis a bit out of the range) but the 30 calibers are a sweet spot for shooting (non magnum)

6.5 is also a sweet spot. We would do fine with 6.5, 06 class and 375 class. But then we would not anything to disagree about either!

This has all been interesting reading. But, out of all this, what I find interesting is all these cartridges/calibers eventually are compared to the .30-'06. Old or new.

This has all been interesting reading. But, out of all this, what I find interesting is all these cartridges/calibers eventually are compared to the .30-'06. Old or new.
Deep within that post (or maybe not so deep), there seems to be a suggestion championing the 30-06. However, if the comparisons to the 30-06 were equally negative and positive, then it would not suggest that the 30-06 is a better cartridge, only a median cartridge and the suggestion then fails as to being "better". However in general, the 30-06 is arguably one of, if not the most popular cartridges in our country.

Back