why do you Kill ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
joab, what i should have said was that i used to buy free range chickens, but have actually stopped because the shop stopped stocking them.
so i really only buy one free range turkey a year, as i can get that from another shop.

all ive done is ask a question

i think your a bit ott, but thats just my opinion.

a little humor.....

You know, humor?
It is a terrible flaw to take oneself too seriously.....
You don't like hunting? Don't hunt.
If you can come up with a clever, humorous remark about those of us who do shoot and kill things and then eat them, I'll laugh right along with you....

Jan, it comes down to these reasons:

1)I like hunting and
2) If hunting is wrong, its just as wrong as any other type of slaughtering of animals, humane or no.

People often say "if you are going to eat meat, should go to a slaughterhouse and watch <insert animal here> being slaughtered, so you know what it involves"

The people who hunt here have "gone to a slaughterhouse" many times. Every time they kill a big game animal, in fact. People have said this before, and i'll say it again: I don't see what makes hunting worse than what goes on at a slaughterhouse.

We aren't built like the herbivores.

But you are perfectly within your rights not to hunt and not to eat meat . . . so long as you don't try to take hunting away from us. :)

cowled wolf, the chickens were monitored by an animal welfare body.
And what body is that? What farm did the chickens come from?

If you're going to give me a response, make it in full with details and all... Otherwise, I'm inclined to see you as pulling on my leg.

i think your a bit ott, but thats just my opinion
And I think you have proven yourself to be a bit hypocritical, but that's just my opinion.

Either you are against killing animals or you are not.
If you are then you could not condone killing in any form.
Instead you use some pathetic and weak argument that the animal that was killed for your benefit was not kept in a cage before you had it snatched up by the feet , plopped down across a chopping block, and beheaded while scraming in disbelief that the people who had treated it so humanely were now executing it.
I know 'cause I've done it so some self righteous goof could feel good about not buying grocer meat

Somehow to you that is better than a wild animal who has never even seen a cage and has lived his entire life as nature intended dying at the hands of a superior predator, which as every deer but Bambi was taught by their mother is also in nature's plan

Last edited:
Wow. Lots of people attacking Jan. No need for that, friends! She did just ask a question. No need to get defensive. I for one am secure enough in my actions and philosophy to respond without animosity at the mere question.

Jan says that she is willing to pay extra for free-range chickens and turkeys, so that her prey lived without suffering and lived healthier. Frankly, I think that's admirable: anyone who's ever seen what conditions most market chickens live in knows that they're usually packed intolerably tight, in unsanitary conditions, and are fed some unhealthy (for us) feed.

But here's the thing: all of the meat that I harvest in a fair chase is "free range". It's all eaten healthy foods. It all lived happily in its natural environment before I took it humanely.
  • What's the moral difference between buying a "free range" turkey and shooting one in the wild?
  • What's the moral difference between buying a "free range" chicken and shooting a quail in the field? (Other than the fact that the quail tastes better.)
  • What's the moral differance between buying (and thus killing) a chicken and buying a cow? (And you may rest assured, most cattle I've ever seen in my life here in Texas are "free range" until they go to the feed lots in the last couple of weeks.)
  • If a cow, why not a deer?
:confused:

why don't ya go troll somewhere else? well, why? I think "Better Homes and Gardens" might be a friendlier place for someone that has to question why folks hunt, on a gun board.

No need to get defensive.
Perhaps it's because we have been to the sister thread and read more of what was implied by both questions
you say kill or be killed, i dont understand. no animal will attack me in my home, so this must mean that i would have to go find them in their natural habitat, so they can be killed.personally i dont think thats fair.
im talking about killing, creeping up on something thats doing no harm to you, and wiping it out.
,i understand that if that is the only food you can get. i wouldnt expect anyone to starve. but on the whole most of us can buy or grow food, i dont buy much meat, only buy it if i know its been treated well in life.
And this response to a post that made no mention of killing being funny
old fud, so you find it funny to kill,
The question was indeed clear and simple as was the agenda behind it

Free ranging chickens?

Long Path has it nailed down, it's just a question folks... no need to get your panties in a bunch...

Serenity now...

12-34hom.

God Bless America.........

This country is the best...... to have such an eye opening debate with all our rights to express ourself.... I love it....... Fun Fun Fun........

and God Bless the Free Range Turkeys too..... :D

Yeah, why is everyone attacking Jan? It was not the least bit deserved. Jan, we're not all as rude as the responses you've gotten so far, other than Long Paths. Folks, she was just saying that, as a principle, the meat she eats was grown in *humane conditions*, chickens and turkeys, one of the humane conditions being a little room to walk around in (free range). That's a perfectly reasonable principle, and like she said, she had to pay a little more for it; just as one pays a tad more for organic vegetables. I for one never knew this existed, because if I did, I'd probably be willing to pay extra for free range stuff - anything that has an assurance of human conditions before the slaughter is worth paying a smidge more for (to me). Just as hunting is humane if I am the hunter. It's a reasonable principle, and people are attacking her on unrelated issues (vegetarian "purism", etc.). Think about what she said exactly; don't make her scapegoat for your anti-PETA, black and white general thoughts on the subject of hunting. Geez.

Agree with Long path and 1234hom.

P.S. OK, the criticism is fair about the statement "I don't hire others to kill for me" - that doesn't make sense, as has been pointed out.

Wow..........

It seems to me that no shots were fired.........relax......... enjoy........

we all have ideas to share........nobody got hurt did they? ;)

and the sun shall rise again in the eastern sky.......... and the waters will flow to the seas........ (Chief Scratchumback) :D

Sorry just trying to break the ice here........I promise I will shut up now... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back