Why do you have a 10mm?

You do realize you can buy what is ballistically '+P' .40S&W ammo, right? (even though it's not labeled as such)

DT, for example, sells a 200gn .40S&W load @ 1050fps. That's a +P .40 load for that bullet-weight. Underwood's 200gn HardCast offering is 50fps slower, but in .40 that's still over standard velocity (for that bullet-weight).

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=303_341&product_id=108

https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...in-hard-cast-flat-nose?variant=18785705295929

In factory 10mm ammo, 200gns @ 1000-1050fps is down-loaded junk.

So there's still no need to buy watered-down 10mm ammo if all you want to do is shoot .40-level or .40+P level ammo. Get a .40S&W drop-in tube for your G20 or G29, and blast away all day long. Over time you're saving yourself $$$.

Better still, don't get a 10mm pistol at all ... Just get a .40 pistol and call it good. :rolleyes:
Yes, I do realize that but you do realize that that DT or Underwood ammo costs 90 cents/round for hot 200 grain .40 ammo going 1000 fps while 200 grain CCI 10mm that's going 1050 fps costs 50 cents/round.

And the S&B ammo is about $17/50 rds, yet is going 1150 fps. That's 150 fps faster than 180 grain .40 and that's maybe 10 cents more a round, but you're getting what you pay for.

While the cheapest 10mm ammo is not the hottest 10mm you can get, it's the same story with .357 Magnum. So, would you also say .357 is not worth buying over .38 Special?

Last edited:
Some of you need to examine some premises

A). I want 10MM to be more popular. This likely gives everyone more options

B). I want to ridicule 10MM FANS, shooters, or potential buyers for not shooting the ammo I think they should because ?????

I also have this... just because I wanted to try an optic-equipped model... and it's 10mm. :D

7ABbduJ.jpg

I got all the popular pistol calibers covered. The 10mm for me is pure admiration for the impressive downrange energy. You really don't get a sense for determining "energy" unless you have to opportunity to shoot steel "flip" type targets. My gun club has a steel "dueling tree"

https://shop.actiontarget.com/content/at-102-pt-dueling-tree-heavy-duty.asp

Shooting the paddles at 50' with 9mm requires a well placed shot favoring the outer edge to allow the paddle to fully flip to the opposite side. A .45 will thump the paddle better, and the speed at which the paddle moves is a bit quicker. You lay a 10mm 180 gr bullet traveling at 1225 fps off the paddle and let me tell you it whacks that paddle with robust authority. In certain circumstances the paddle actually rebounds from the opposite side and ends up facing slightly rearward.

Paul Harrell did a comparison of the two calibers and for myself would want to shoot the gun often and the cost of 10mm high and hard to get, or not as easily to purchase. 45 on the other hand is every where.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBkjdutVmFA

Last edited:
Paul Harrell did a comparison of the two calibers and for myself would want to shoot the gun often and the cost of 10mm high and hard to get, or not as easily to purchase. 45 on the other hand is every where.

Paul Harrell is frequently wrong but never in doubt. :rolleyes:

That said, the correct answer to pricey pistol ammo, regardless of caliber, is always to reload for it.

As far as 'hard to get,' you can get factory 10mm anywhere you can get .45 ammo. Some of it may well be the aforesaid watered-down junk 10mm, but you can still find it right there on the shelf next the .45acp. I can find it at our Mom-n-Pop LGS or at the regional Cabelas or Bass Pro too.

That's of course if you don't happen to have, ah, ... internet access. :rolleyes: Because in case you hadn't heard, there's this thing now called 'on-line ordering.'

Supposedly Al Gore invented it, :eek: but in any case you'll need a cell phone, a valid credit card, and a legal mailing address. In fact, from some online vendors you can actually get 10mm ammo cheaper than in the big-box retail stores.

Easy-peasy. You can thank me later.

And in case YOU haven't heard, some states have banned internet purchases of ammunition.
That only applies to those states, but that is something to consider as with how ignorant the general/average citizen is about guns I could see a law get passed and overnight ammo sales over the internet get banned.

That's all a what if tho and for now there are a lot of places that don't restrict online ammo sales.

Because in case you hadn't heard, there's this thing now called 'on-line ordering.'
And in case YOU haven't heard, some states have banned internet purchases of ammunition.

Dude, focus. Name all states that totally ban ALL online purchases of any kind of ammo by their citizens in that state.

Such a list should NOT include states which merely restrict on-line purchases by requiring the ammo to be shipped to an FFL. That's not a 'ban.'

I need to stop reading these comments. I cannot afford another gun nor do I need one. I've never owned a 10mm before. I also have always carried a 45ACP or hot 9mm rounds as my sidearm when I'd go hunting down here as those two would and thankfully have stopped everything that I've personally encountered.

But a 10mm would leave no doubt in my mind.......

STOP.

Such a list should NOT include states which merely restrict on-line purchases by requiring the ammo to be shipped to an FFL. That's not a 'ban.'

DUDE< if you live in a remote area, where none of the FFL will receive the ammo, than it is a ban or extreme hardship. I should know, because I am one of those. Are you?

I've been trying to find commercial .45 super for over three months, and so far no luck in my area, nor any FFL that will accept from the boutique companies. They make a business from ordering from their own dealers, and do not want the hassle of all the paperwork accepting private orders from small companies. An FFL is NOT REQUIRED to accept online private orders.

SO yes, it is a ban in effect.

DUDE< if you live in a remote area, where none of the FFL will receive the ammo, than it is a ban or extreme hardship. I should know, because I am one of those. Are you?

Ah dude, first, I live in a Free State if that's any of your business. Second, you failed to provide a list of states that ban ALL on-line ammo purchases. Thus having been called out and failed miserably, you get the Big Red B.S. flag, along with 15-yds and loss of down. :rolleyes:

I've been trying to find commercial .45 super for over three months, and so far no luck in my area, nor any FFL that will accept from the boutique companies.

Your choice of cartridge is the problem there. Not any state ban. Hope you're well-stocked to reload.

An FFL is NOT REQUIRED to accept online private orders.

State laws can require shipment of on-line orders to be to and through an FFL to the purchaser, unless federal law dictates otherwise.

SO yes, it is a ban in effect.

No, actually, in your case it's called a dumb choice of a unicorn caliber that nobody stocks. Your .45 Super makes the availability of factory 10mm ammo look ubiquitous in comparison, since it's on retail shelves in 99.9% of the places most gun folks shop, whereas .45 Super ain't. :rolleyes:

State laws can require shipment of on-line orders to be to and through an FFL to the purchaser, unless federal law dictates otherwise.

You sound like a liberal defending a law that acts as a ban!
Since you live in a "free" state, your smuggness helps the cause of the liberals to enact their laws in the blue states. All should care what happens in these states because it's coming your way next!

I need to stop reading these comments. I cannot afford another gun nor do I need one. I've never owned a 10mm before. I also have always carried a 45ACP or hot 9mm rounds as my sidearm when I'd go hunting down here as those two would and thankfully have stopped everything that I've personally encountered.

STOP.
Glock 10mm's can shoot .40 without any modifications, which means when another panic comes all the .40 on the shelves you'll be able to shoot while everyone is at home reloading 9mm on their single stage RCBS they had to dust off.

The 10mm is just another cartridge.

I'm gonna try 40 S&W in my G20.3. I am skeptical. I still say if shooting 40's get a 40. The serious end of reloading is having the right equipment and organization to efficiently load large quantities of cartridges. Once the load is found such can be easily duplicated time after time. Reloading is not rocket science. Not having time? How much time do you spend playing on the computer or watching TV. The 10mm is just another cartridge.

Last edited:
10mm is the ultimate handloader's cartridge.
If I had to limit myself to only factory ammo, especially if I had to go to a brick-and-mortar store to buy it, I wouldn't buy a 10mm.
9mm equivalent loads, check.
.357 equivalent, check.
.40, check.
200@1250 if you have the cajones and chamber support, check.
Doesn't matter if the varmints have two legs or four, there's a 10mm load to suit.
I mostly shoot "Col. Cooper's intent" loads, 200@1000, because cardboard can't tell how fast the bullet is going.

STOP.
I used to only carry 45s and said I had no use for a 9mm... that didn't last so long. After the 9s, I said I had no use for a 10mm. Well, that didn't work either. Sometimes you just have to give in and accept defeat. lol

10mm is the ultimate handloader's cartridge.

Certainly to people whose choice of a hangun is based on OTC ammo costs! I can hardly believe so many people shoot very much at all if they don't reload. Reload the mighty 10 to original power, not OTC power/costs. The same goes for many many guns and cartridges no longer made or only made in specialty boxes at high cost, the answer is always "Buy the gun you want, and reload for it".
But the 10MM does slake the thirst for power in a form that allows more than two shots before your hand is bleeding (My pastors .308 pistol for instance) and the only real reason to choose a lesser cartridge is muzzle flip in competition, IMO. The difference between the time for a second shot of a 10MM compared to a .45 is minimal and, I have a hard time believing it would be noticeable in a conflict situation.
I should see if there are visual comparisons of .45ACP vs 10MM videos out there, but if you slow time down far enough it seems a great gulf of time (Of course!). The 10MM has at least one extra round over .45 ACP normally and that might be more relevant.

Back