Why do you have a 10mm?

Certainly to people whose choice of a hangun is based on OTC ammo costs! I can hardly believe so many people shoot very much at all if they don't reload. Reload the mighty 10 to original power, not OTC power/costs. The same goes for many many guns and cartridges no longer made or only made in specialty boxes at high cost, the answer is always "Buy the gun you want, and reload for it".
I'm not singling you out or trying to put words in your mouth, but a lot of people bring up the point about 10mm not being loaded to its max potential and the cheap ammo is weak junk, but the same argument applies to .357 Magnum too. If we're going to compare apples to apples, it's only fair to make the same criticisms of .357 in that the cheap stuff is weak and the "real" .357 ammo is expensive.

When you boil it down, it's all relative. People just make excuses to bash something they don't understand or care to understand because the .45 make them comfortable knowing it was made by Prophet Browning.

Weak Ammo?

I had a part box of Hornady (#9122) with 155gr. Hollow Points/XTP @ 1266 at the muzzle-as a gift. These rounds came from an ammo dealing pawn shop. The price was $19.95 for twenty rounds. This is obviously weak ammo that would bounce of any target. Over on another forum several post had to do with needing to try boutique rounds in their 45 ACP's to see if rounds would chamber. Don't know if that's true. I'm not fixing to buy the $1.00 per round stuff to see if will run in my 45ACP handgun of that make. Seven rounds were going from this Hornady box of twenty. Those were probably run through my G20.3. with no problem. My 165gr. handloads were cruising along at 1363 fps. My 180gr. loads were running 1200 fps. Why do I have a 10mm? I'm not making a comparison as my personal data stands on its own. I'm happy with my handguns in most of the calibers referenced in this post. Like um all. Sorry, no Brown or White truck stops here.

Last edited:
Paul Harrell did a comparison of the two calibers and for myself would want to shoot the gun often and the cost of 10mm high and hard to get, or not as easily to purchase. 45 on the other hand is every where.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBkjdutVmFA

Paul was trying to keep everything equal in the video. Same manufacture and bullet weight for ammo. That really limits the 10mm's potential. If he would have compared the hottest 10mm vs the hottest .45, that would have been a comparison.

Horsepower of 9mm in 229: I'm not sure what I'd tell anybody about factory ammo. I know from my experience that the ordinary factory 10mm that I have chronographed is along the lines of the 40 FBI loads. Other than that you are on your own. I do know that when I am loading 9mm it's possible to load top end loads economically and in quantity.

Buffalobore loads develope about 460 ft-lbs in 9mm; for me, I think I'd rather use a .404 rather than a .416 Wby; I'm just wondering when one would need ~700 ft-lbs in a pistol(truly curious).

I got my 10 because it was a double-stack 10mm I could afford and use for competition as well as carry. It’s an EAA Witness Elite Match. It shoots _very_ well, but I’ve used it for precisely two pistol stages ever, each as part of rifle matches where we were mixing things up a bit. Besides that, I’ve taken it to the range a few times. All this over the course of over a decade.

The gun is for sale now. I love it, but never use it, it’s a bit too big for my stubby fingers, and I need less ‘stuff.’

I'm not singling you out or trying to put words in your mouth

Naw, the main thrust of my post was that people may find that reloading means more shooting, and shooting whatever THEY want. Heck, I reload .45 ACP at 230/800, not especially hot, in fact my motive is to get lots of shooting with a bit less flip and flash, because if I ever need to shoot out of danger I won't care about a bit more in my carry loads, and that's close enough to gov't load that the difference won't be a shock.
Kind of like higher trigger weights on pocket pistols (The way they make them these days), if someone is shooting at you I doubt most people would notice a 15 pound trigger!
For that matter if one loaded 10MM down to .40 SW specs no one else would know and the pistol would last longer. Save the high dollar super duper mega cavity ammo for carry.

Buffalobore loads develope about 460 ft-lbs in 9mm; for me, I think I'd rather use a .404 rather than a .416 Wby; I'm just wondering when one would need ~700 ft-lbs in a pistol(truly curious).

If I am ever attacked by a bear or a cougar I doubt I am going to make good aimed fire as I attempt to cover myself. Even with good shots a LARGE helping of luck will be needed to have one of them be QUICKLY effective. I don't want the shot that might have saved me stopping two inches short of being quickly effective.

Is it a good idea to try to stop a charging bear with a 10MM? NOPE. But is it likely the best chance I have with a semi-auto concealable "normal" pistol? Yep. Still going to take A LOT of luck. Just a little less luck than with a 9MM.

Is it a good idea to try to stop a charging bear with a 10MM? NOPE. But is it likely the best chance I have with a semi-auto concealable "normal" pistol? Yep. Still going to take A LOT of luck. Just a little less luck than with a 9MM.
Lohman446 What is your normal carry load in your 10mm? Thanks

When hiking or in territory I expect four legged creatures to be a likely threat I carry the Underwood Extreme Penetrator loads as I figure this is my best shot at getting through enough muscle and bone to get to something important. In urban environments I run the their 200 grain offerings though I normally don't carry the 10 is such environments.

When hiking or in territory I expect four legged creatures to be a likely threat I carry the Underwood Extreme Penetrator loads as I figure this is my best shot at getting through enough muscle and bone to get to something important. In urban environments I run the their 200 grain offerings though I normally don't carry the 10 is such environments.

What grain of those extreme penetrators do you use? I don’t think they come in anything heavier than a 165-grain which is what I bought the same time I bought a couple of boxes of the 220-grain hard cast flat nose leads.

But which would be better? We don’t have grizzly here in Oklahoma but we do have mountain lions and wild hogs. Coyotes- not sure about wolves but at least for the cats, hogs and I believe some brown or black bear, I figured the heavier bullet would pack more of a punch. But on the flip side, just the shape alone of those big, copper #4 Phillips head screwdriver bits traveling a whole lot faster might get further penetration, I dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I imagine anything that limits loss of energy through expansion is probably nearly equal. Hardcast should bust its way through things and get deep enough to give you a chance to get to vitals. Your going to need catastrophic internal damage to the body cavity, brain, or a hit to the spine to stop one of these things physiologically. I'm sure I have missed some but penetration is going to be important in any of these and expansion or actual energy (outside of needing energy for penetration) is going to be secondary.

Carry Insurance: I have a concern. Let's say I'm out in a National Park. One of the big carnivores charges me in an attack. I draw my gun and kill the animal. A nearby Ranger hears the gunshot. Coming to investigate, he arrests me. The animal was Federally Protected. Would my carry insurance cover me? I was defending myself.

Carry Insurance: I have a concern. Let's say I'm out in a National Park. One of the big carnivores charges me in an attack. I draw my gun and kill the animal. A nearby Ranger hears the gunshot. Coming to investigate, he arrests me. The animal was Federally Protected. Would my carry insurance cover me? I was defending myself.

Regardless of the insurance question, the charge gets tossed out of court, and Ranger Bub will be made to look like an idjit, because you had, and have, a right to protect yourself from injury and/or death in an unprovoked attack by any 'carnivore,' big or small.

In the scenario you've described you were in an area where you had a legal right to be, and you weren't poaching, enticing, or otherwise illegally hunting said carnivore.

That said carnivore is a statutorily 'protected species' doesn't obviate your right to life and personal safety if subject to an attack.

That's why Alaska has a DLP statute, due to all the human/bear encounters, although that law imposes certain obligations once the encounter has been terminated successfully in the human's favor.

'Dead Bear Right There!' ... 10mm Gits it Done (Again)
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/al...k-10mm-on-elmendorf-richardson/#axzz69gUmcBmY

:cool:

Last edited:
A nearby Ranger hears the gunshot. Coming to investigate, he arrests me

I think you have offered this premise along with the the premise that release would not be on your own recognizance. I believe those premises are fairly fantastical in nature and we are dealing with an extremely unlikely theoretical situation.

Back