Why do you have a 10mm?

^^^^^^
attachment.php

I don't have a 10mm, well I mean yes I do have the GP100 MC 10mm but it lives life as a .40 99.999% of the time.

I've had 10mm (quite a few really) and frankly, I don't see that the 10mm can do anything that the .40 can't. In all fairness, I'm a handloader so if want more power, I can easily make that happen, but even still, I've loaded both the 10mm and the .40 hot for years and there' s just not that much ballistic difference.

That said, since almost all gun purchases are wants (not needs), buy whatever you like. But 10mm's are bigger and heavier and they won't kill anything deader than a .40 will.

lohman446 said:
I have seen G20s cut down to use G29 magazines and then have the same grip height.

Be aware however that a G29 overall height is VERY close to a G19 - frankly the G29 is VERY close to the G19 overall. This may push the concept of "subcompact"

I've had my share of both and the length (back to front) of a G29 and 19/23 is almost the same but the 19/23 is definitely taller, the G29 is only slightly taller than a G26/27. The G29 is a lot wider and heavier though. If there were a 26/19 hybrid (G26 grip w/G19 slide) the G29 would be the fat version of that.

I've had my share of both and the length (back to front) of a G29 and 19/23 is almost the same but the 19/23 is definitely taller, the G29 is only slightly taller than a G26/27. The G29 is a lot wider and heavier though. If there were a 26/19 hybrid (G26 grip w/G19 slide) the G29 would be the fat version of that.

I have to look again - I have a G19 and G29 and every time I look at them next to each other I'm surprised how close they are. Granted the G29 carries a lot of its height in the slide assembly so the grip is not as tall but overall they are close.

Glock lists the G19 overall height as 5.04" and the G29 height at 4.53" so I guess its a perception thing. I remembered, apparently incorrectly, them being closer. The G26 lists an overall height of 4.17" so I guess you are right on that - it is closer in height to a G26

Why do you have a 10mm?

One word: versatility.

It's the only 'service round' extant that can do everything well. Sure, for some uses you might choose something else, but there are niche cartridges for everything.

The most versatile cartridge always covers a lot of ground and essentially gives you a one-n-done gun, if you could only have one. At least in semi-auto pistols of reasonable size and weight, the 10mm AUTO wins hands-down.

All of that aside, I'm hoping the *soon-to-be-new* 10mm Glock 49 will be a real deal by mid-2020.

A 4" slide/barrel on an 8+1 'slimline' single-stack frame:

https://www.recoilweb.com/predictions-on-the-glock-44-3-other-upcoming-glocks-155146.html

Add in a not-so-hard to do +2 factory floorplate, and you're packing 11-rds of 10mm hurt in a slim-profiled, highly concealable unit.

So tell me again, who said: 'nobody's makin' new 10mm pistols these days 'cause we all know it's a dead round'? :eek: :rolleyes:

Stay tuned. :cool:

Last edited:
The 10mm gives todays handgunner the ability to carry the ballistic twin* of a nine and a half pound 38-40 Winchester 1873 rifle - in the form of an eminently carryable pistol! Indeed, the Glock 20 even holds the same number of cartridges!

*The 180 grain 10mm is the virtual ballistic twin of the **180 grain 38WCF, (aka .38-40), load introduced in 1881. Earlier .38WCF rounds were loaded with a 160 grain bullet.

**When that black powder .40 caliber round is fired from a 24 inch rifle barrel.

Last edited:
Sounds like Glock has it pretty much together for a 10mm--except for me. I just can't acclimate to Glock's grip angle; also. strikers are low on my confidence list for safety reasons(but that's me). It does sound like a 10mm could be a "do all" if you can manage the recoil. I have no experience shooting a 10mm from a carry size pistol.

Last edited:
Sounds like Glock has it pretty much togeher for a 10mm--except for me

Its Glocks leadership (and that feels odd to say) in regards to 10MM that brought me back to Glocks. It seems no one else is keeping up with them in regards to 10MM and I have no idea why

I don't and don't want one. Shot a Colt Delta Elite when they first came out. Norma ammo was the only game then. The 10mm doesn't do anything a .45 ACP will not.

Sounds like Glock has it pretty much togeher for a 10mm--except for me.I just can't acclimate to Glock's grip angle

Assuming the slimline single-stack G49 is a real deal, the reduction in the 'girthiness' of the grip (circumference) might off-set the issue with the grip angle.

I don't and don't want one. Shot a Colt Delta Elite when they first came out. Norma ammo was the only game then. The 10mm doesn't do anything a .45 ACP will not.
Sone ammo I shoot from Underwood. If all you do is shoot paper, then yeah, the 45 will do about the same as the 10mm.

10mm Auto 220 Grain Hard Cast Flat Nose
Muzzle Velocity: 1200 fps
Muzzle Energy: 703 ft lbs

45 ACP +P 255 Grain Hard Cast Flat Nose
Muzzle Velocity: 925 fps
Muzzle Energy: 484 ft lbs

A couple more.

10mm Auto 140 Grain Xtreme Penetrator
Muzzle Velocity: 1500 fps
Muzzle Energy: 700 ft lbs

45 ACP +P 200 Grain Xtreme Penetrator
Muzzle Velocity: 1000 fps
Muzzle Energy: 444 ft lbs

Are these really close in comparison? I know which ones I am not loading up when I go to the woods.

The original comparison was specific to 45 ACP. I don't think .45 Super is fair to bring into the conversation anymore than .40 Super would be (is that a 45 or a 10 in this conversation :) )

I mean if we can compare the .45 Super in place of the .45 ACP can we talk about the (seemingly defunct) 10MM Magnum?

Does 10mm magnum fit into a standard 10mm barrel?..No
Can you shoot .45 super in a regular supported .45 barrel...yes.
So in reality, .45 super is a hot +p+.45 acp.

Can you shoot .45 super in a regular supported .45 barrel...yes.

I thought there was a very limited amount of pistols considered safe to shook .45 Super from without modification.

Will attest to not knowing exactly what the modifications were but it was not drop in.

10mm in a good semi-auto is the "fo-schizzle". 14-15 rounds, in a standard frame pistol, and more powerful than 9mm, 45 and 40. Why not a 10mm?

Back