Why do you have a 10mm?

Ex-wife got me one for Christmas in 1991 after a misunderstanding (saw an ad for a G21, she got me a G20). Loved it. As a poor E-5 that's what got me into reloading.

I've owned a G20 in 10mm for years. A few years ago bought a G29 to have something a little more compact for easier carry.

I only carry them when I'm hunting/camping/hiking in bear country. I carry DoubleTap 200 gr hardcast loads that leave the G20 @ 1300 fps. That's as close as you're going to get to 44 mag performance in a gun that small and light. While not quite equal to 44 mag that load has proven it will stop large bear attacks and has successfully taken game as large as cape buffalo. I have 44 and 357 mag revolvers, but much prefer the G20 or G29 for this.

If 2 legged predators are the only concern I'd be just fine with my 9mm pistols. But the 10mm gives me the versatility of using different ammo suitable for both 2 and large 4 legged predators.

Why do I have a G29? For a woods gun. While I doubt I am going to come into a confrontation with a bear it is not unlikely to come across a few coyotes travelling together that are getting more and more brave. Of course you also run the risk of running into a two legged predator. Since I hike with my children this is one of the few cases I want capacity. 11 rounds of 200 grain Underwood ammunition and a spare G20 clip give me a lot more capability than a .357 revolver and a lot more stopping power than my G19.

Why do I have a Delta Elite? Heirloom. The G29 is a more functional gun but the 1911 is classic.

I don't.

I have 40's and 357's on one side and 44 magnum's on the other. Never really had the motivation to match the expense of another caliber, especially one that I have covered with others.

That could change.

I got all the popular pistol calibers covered. The 10mm for me is pure admiration for the impressive downrange energy. You really don't get a sense for determining "energy" unless you have to opportunity to shoot steel "flip" type targets. My gun club has a steel "dueling tree"

https://shop.actiontarget.com/content/at-102-pt-dueling-tree-heavy-duty.asp

Shooting the paddles at 50' with 9mm requires a well placed shot favoring the outer edge to allow the paddle to fully flip to the opposite side. A .45 will thump the paddle better, and the speed at which the paddle moves is a bit quicker. You lay a 10mm 180 gr bullet traveling at 1225 fps off the paddle and let me tell you it whacks that paddle with robust authority. In certain circumstances the paddle actually rebounds from the opposite side and ends up facing slightly rearward.

Because I wanted a 10mm. At this point in life I don't have to justify a damn thing I do.

Nobody’s asking you to justify anything, bud. The OP was just curious why we that have a 10mm, got one. You could go out and get a hog leg 500 S&W BFR with an 18” barrel just for grins and giggles, no ones gonna ask you for justification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought my Sig P220 10mm Elite for woods/hiking carry. I have some full-power Sig V-crown HP’s for it for home protection but when it gets carried outdoors, it’s loaded with 220 grain hard cast Underwoods. I have a rail-mounted TLR-4 laser/flashlight and am currently having a buddy make a custom leather pancake holster with thumb-break snap strap for it that’ll accommodate the laser.
cc83658bcf8b6ab6316e103ce603f0b8.jpg

I'm hotly eyeing the compact 10mm glock, the 29. I have a 30 and it's a phenomenal shooter and the size is great for concealment or range duty. I originally thought I'd want a compact and a full size but I think I want the extended slide MOS 40 instead of a 20 to compliment the 29. Big and bad with a long barrel and a red dot, small and sleek with irons, and share my mags.

I’ve been ccw a G-29 for quite a few years now. Got it just because I wanted it.

I have used it in defensive training classes, & hunted feral hogs with it since I received it back in ‘05.

Came into 10mm kinda "backwards". Bought a special run of a Ruger Blackhawk in .38-40/10mm. There were separate cylinders for each caliber. It's like having two entirely different guns! The .38-40 is a nice "push" - the 10mm is a "slam". Liked the 10mm so much I ended up buying a Kimber 10mm last year. Oh, and since both those calibers were very expensive back then, it propelled my reloading career; I now load for every caliber I shoot except .22LR.

I've got a Glock 20SF and a 10mm 1911, one advantage of 10mm over 45 acp is capacity.
Glock 20SF holds 2 more rounds than 21SF
Standard flush fit 45 acp 1911 mag is 7 rounds, but 8 in 10mm

10mm has more KE but rather than have somebody dissect my post and debate on whether KE matters, I'll stick to other tangibles. ;)

45 acp ammo is generally cheaper, if one does not handload/reload its probably gonna be more expensive to feed a 10mm pistol.

However, I like that I can handload just about any HP bullet and at 10mm velocity its probably going to expand, not sure the same can be said for 45 acp at typical velocities.
Regular HP (Nosler) will expand (maybe even fragment IME) after 4 layer denim into water filled gallon jugs at these velocities, expanded diameter about .65
10mm Handload 180 Nosler @ 1,228 fps / 603# KE
10mm Handload Nosler 150 JHP @ 1,402 fps / 655# KE
(Same bullets offered by Underwood loaded at slightly greater velocity)

Nobody’s asking you to justify anything, bud. The OP was just curious why we that have a 10mm, got one. You could go out and get a hog leg 500 S&W BFR with an 18” barrel just for grins and giggles, no ones gonna ask you for justification.

I don't think he was bent out of shape with his comment. That's just his answer. Some people talk like that on here... same as "just because I wanted one".

I'm hotly eyeing the compact 10mm glock, the 29. I have a 30 and it's a phenomenal shooter and the size is great for concealment or range duty. I originally thought I'd want a compact and a full size but I think I want the extended slide MOS 40 instead of a 20 to compliment the 29. Big and bad with a long barrel and a red dot, small and sleek with irons, and share my mags.
I love all 3... 29, 20 and 40. I have the 40 zeroed at 50 yds with a Venom and it is easy to hit targets out to 100 yds... still hitting with authority too.

I don't think he was bent out of shape with his comment. That's just his answer. Some people talk like that on here... same as "just because I wanted one".

Well that may be, but I didn’t see nowhere within the OP’s post about looking to tell other posters what he thought about why they bought a specific gun or caliber but that was sure the answer given.

But hey, it’s no sweat off my backside. I just felt it necessary to say that that’s not what the OP was asking, at least from what I gathered.

Well that may be, but I didn’t see nowhere within the OP’s post about looking to tell other posters what he thought about why they bought a specific gun or caliber but that was sure the answer given.

But hey, it’s no sweat off my backside. I just felt it necessary to say that that’s not what the OP was asking, at least from what I gathered.

I use those same Underwoods... and the 200s as well... very stout and way less of a smokescreen/choking hazzard than the BB 220 HC, which do pack a good punch. I tried out some of their 140gr xtreme penetrators and thought it was a bit much!! All my holsters for the woods have light mounts... except for my revolvers.

I have seen G20s cut down to use G29 magazines and then have the same grip height.

Be aware however that a G29 overall height is VERY close to a G19 - frankly the G29 is VERY close to the G19 overall. This may push the concept of "subcompact"

Back