Who carries a "Mouse Gun" for CCW?

My 6.6 oz (10.1 oz loaded) Kel Tec P32 7+1 .32ACP is very, very often with me... Especially when larger gun isn't practical IMG_08102019_194143_(807_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Last edited:
LCP, or Kahr CM9 depending on pocket size, and the opening to draw the gun.
Often my only carry, but at times as a BUG. But always one or the other in my pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.
I've never understood the complaints about the LCP"snappy", or "painful" recoil. Generally, 50 rounds on a range trip with my LCPis pretty common for me.
As for the "thin" grip, add a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve. I added one a couple years ago, although not necessarily for recoil. It just gives me a mor hand filling grip without any noticeable decrease in concealability.
That's exactly how I configured my lcp when I carried it--along with the magazine floor plate extension.

I carry a G42 on a 'ClipDraw' almost the entire summer..now that it's 'bigger clothes' weather, back to my G26, which I just got and really like.

A good shot with a .380 (or .32 or even .22!) is as "capable" as a .44 magnum.
A central nervous system shot is a good shot.

Absolutely not true. These low power rounds are extremely unpredictable.

Quote:
A good shot with a .380 (or .32 or even .22!) is as "capable" as a .44 magnum.
A central nervous system shot is a good shot.
Absolutely not true. These low power rounds are extremely unpredictable.
So a "good shot" with a 380,32, or even 22 doesn't count. A "good shot" only counts from sort of hypothetically approved round?
Makes no sense what so ever. A good shot hitting the CNS is a good shot. No matter what diameter.

My personal opinion is that your 9mm, 40 and 45 are close enough from a terminal performance standpoint to be interchangeable. I do think there's a drop in terminal performance when you go to 380 or 38 but I don't think that drop is all that meaningful for a civilian in a defensive shooting situation. I'm not a cop and I'm not trying to kill or apprehend anybody. My goal is just to get a bad guy to leave me and/or my family alone. In most situations I'm likely to encounter I think a 380 is going to achieve that as well as a duty caliber. It's loud, it would hurt and people are afraid of getting shot.

To put it another way, terminal performance isn't the biggest reason I prefer to carry my 2.0 Compact over my LCP. Capacity and greater accuracy when shooting quickly are both more significant factors to me - 31 rounds that I can deliver more effectively versus 13 that I can't deliver as effectively is a significant difference. That said, both guns serve a purpose for me.

I used to hand-load some very warm xpb and extreme penetrators for my lcp--I had no doubts it would be very bad news to get hit by them within the reasonable range of the pistol.

NAA .22mag Pug. Would prefer something bigger but it's the only thing that doesn't drag my pants down. Not one of the big boys but sure would ruin some bad guy's day.

The first hand gun I bought was a Star Firestar in .40 S&W. When I got my CCL I carried it for a while but without a spare mag I didn't want to carry it. So I bought a Taurus TCP pocket gun but after blowing it up trying to shoot it too fast I bought a Sig P938. It's small but a mouse gun it is not, it packs a good punch with the right ammo.

Now that winter is closing in I've made a change to my single stack 9mm. pistols for carry.

I do use in the warmer months a Beretta 3032 in .32ACP and a backup one.

In the rotation are two Taurus 732 TCPs. For me the .32 ACP is a better fit and more user friendly.

I run with my LCP. I destroyed my P3AT with my sweat and now take care of the LCP better. If you are going to be sweating a lot with the little guns you need to oil the magazine release and let it seep in between the frame on the parts you normally do not see just looking at it... and both sides too. It may look good, but when you stick a qtip in there, it will be a rusted mess.

Carry a bigger, heavier gun for a while, and you'll get used to it, the same way you used to fuss about wearing shoes, or a belt, or tucking your shirt in, or wearing a shirt with a collar or all those other big boy things.

http://blog.shooting-performance.com/youre-going-to-be-in-a-gunfight-tomorrow/

But once you really grow up you realize that it should be as YOU want, not what they say "Big Boys" should want.

I'll continue to carry my mouse guns and leave the "Big Boy" guns for playtime.

LCP for me. Fits right in my pocket holster and all. I like the heavier long trigger for its intended purpose. If you know what you’re doing 7 are all you’re ever going to need. Especially when you consider you’re never going to need it at all unless you are careless or go looking for trouble

LCP for me. Fits right in my pocket holster and all. I like the heavier long trigger for its intended purpose. If you know what you’re doing 7 are all you’re ever going to need. Especially when you consider you’re never going to need it at all unless you are careless or go looking for trouble
that's an incredibly ignorant thing to say.

One thing to keep in mind is that the purpose of a CCW holder in being armed is different than the objective of a law enforcement officer or for that matter a soldier. The civilian CCW holder simply wants to be able to force a bad guy to break contact and go away. A LEO needs to be able to apprehend and force compliance. IMHO a smaller gun is usually adequate for the limited objective of forcing a breaking of contact with the BG.

A soldier needs to be able to kill the enemy, preferably at a long distance, hence the fact that soldiers generally use rifles, not handguns. A LEO needs to be able to kill a BG to protect others (or him or her self) or put the BG down to prevent the BG from committing crimes. These are different objectives than that of the CCW holder.

I carry a Ruger LCP on a daily basis ever since I got one this Summer.

Initially I disliked them and preferred to carry bigger guns which fit my hands more nicely, but during the hotter days of Summer it became extremely uncomfortable to do so, which in turn lead to me opting to leave my gun at home, so I decided it was time to get a lightweight pocket pistol that I could carry anytime. There were a lot of options available, but I ended up settling on the Ruger LCP since its among the cheapest yet most reliable and time-proven designs available. I got the 10th Anniversary Edition with a Stainless Steel slide for corrosion resistance, and now it goes with me everywhere.

Even when Winter comes and I can more comfortably carry bigger guns, I'm still going to carry the LCP as a BUG because it's just so small and lightweight that there's no reason not to have it on me.

Personally, I don't have any doubts of the effectiveness of modern .380 ACP ammunition. In fact, before I got my LCP my everyday carry gun was a Walther PPK/S in .380 ACP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driz View Post

that's an incredibly ignorant thing to say.
Not in the least when you realize the first line of civilian self defense is situational awareness, and avoidance!

IMHO a smaller gun is usually adequate for the limited objective of forcing a breaking of contact with the BG.
Not in the least when you realize the first line of civilian self defense is situational awareness, and avoidance!

I'm in this camp, I'm not looking to ever be in some firefight with mag changes and needing 45 rounds to shoot. I plan to get my butt out of the situation if at all possible, and ONLY if no other option draw. I figure if I draw I'm already committed to a situation where life in in danger, and I will do everything I can to never ever have to do that. At the minume I carry a LCP with one extra mag, in cooler temps when wearing extra layers I bump up to a Tokarev, P64 or a plastic 9mm. But I feel ok with my LPC, easy to ride in my pocket.

Back