What's your nightstand gun?

My dedicated nightstand pistol is a Springfield operator MC. I also keep my ar15 with four 30 round mags. I also keep my SIG 226 and HK p30 in a cubby hole on my bed, both of those are loaded but in Serpa holsters.

My operator stays in condition one.

The rifle is within reach if I stand up. The handguns are in reach with me laying down

Dragline, makes a good point...locking up your guns when leaving the house...the trouble here on the farm is that there's usually several out and ready and it's a royal PITA to put them away....that said, #2 son lost $4000+ worth of high grade Colts to a home invasion a cpl months ago...his 8 month's pregnant wife and 1 yo baby returned from a :30 trip to the grocery to find the front door kicked in. They live on a farm like we do and no other house is in sight, making it an obvious target.

So what's the whole story. Son's known in the area as a shooter...no safe in the house, lot's of friends and hangers on to many BBQ's there, had work done on his house in the last 6 months....lot's of people had the opportunity to case the house. They were just lucky she wasn't home when it went down.

Their answer is this: got a home alarm system and key pad entry, posted as such in the front and back yards, all doors locked when home or away, touch pad gun safe's in kitchen and bedroom, bolted down. AND NOW THEY BOTH CARRY IN THE HOUSE. The county police responded in :25 minutes....25 MINUTES TO A PREGNANT WOMAN'S CALL FOR HELP. That's the best they could do from ten miles away....

We all get complacent, me too...I"ve changed the way we store, use and guard our guns....think of it as insurance, like keeping a fire extinguisher around, using a screen in front of the fire place, keeping our farm gates closed and latched...common sense stuff, but easy to overlook...

an older by wiser, Rod and family....

Handgun wise, Glock 19, with 124 gr +p with a light mounted on it. Long gun, mossberg 590a1 12ga , ghost ring sights, and a mounted light. loaded with 8 rounds of 2 3/4 00 buck, and on the sidesaddle, more 00 buck and 1 slug. Moral of the story, dont break into my house.

It changes sometimes it used to be my american classic 1911 in .45

1229888_659852424039568_1544428551_n_zpse913f45e.jpg

but i sold that last night and now its my makarov

1375200_659852410706236_48042079_n1_zpse0001ef1.jpg

Beretta PX4 .40 with a TLR-1 on the rail or Beretta 92FS depending how I feel. Both with an extra mag. PX4 is running 165-grain HST, 92FS is running 124-grain Gold Dot standard pressure.

G29 mounted under headboard with a Fobus/fixed mount...Ruger P90 under mattress. 20 gauge single shot cut back to 20" beside bed. Running shoes nearby in case all the above fails...

Ruger P89 with a spare magazine, loaded with 115 grain hollow points on my side of the bed.

Springfield 1911 Loaded on my wife's side of the bed with a spare magazine, loaded with 230 grain hollow points.

She has the .45 because she hates the P89!

A revolver

Currently a Ruger Sp-101. Semi-autos have too many bells and gizmos and I fear I will not be able to remember it all when woken from a dead sleep and need to grab a gun.

Currently a Ruger Sp-101. Semi-autos have too many bells and gizmos and I fear I will not be able to remember it all when woken from a dead sleep and need to grab a gun.

You get hung up somewhere between "point" and "bang"? That's all there is to a Glock, M&P, Sig, Walther P99 or PPQ, some HKs, etc. No bells. No gizmos. Just a lot of bangs.

Back