What's your fave mini 9mm?

I've carried a PM9 as EDC since I got my license nine years ago. It has been perfect since I took it out of the box, very accurate at SD distances, easy to shoot, very concealable in pocket or in a belt holster ... I don't know if you could ask anything more from a defensive handgun. Everybody has a favorite; the PM9 is mine ...

My experiences:

PX4 Subcompact - Breeze to shoot, more ammo capacity, but fat. Not uncomfortable to carry in IWB, but did I mention "fat"? Softest shooting out of any other. Priced very reasonable ($400 at LGS by me).

PPS - Perfect all around. Accurate and handles well, very slim. 6rd flush fit disappears with IWB and carry light. Priced bit high ($550-$600)

Shield - Heard good things about it, have not shot it. Fit my hand well, similar to PPS. Seems well made for about $100-150 less than PPS.

XDs- Same as Shield, priced closer to PPS than shield.

Kahr PM9 - Very stiff to rack. Have not shot, but only heard good things about it from friends who have em. Priced high compared to others ($600+)

Keltec's - No offense to those who have it, but I didn't like it even for the price.

I have a Kahr PM9, Beretta Nano, & a Glock 26. All are about the same size & all have been very reliable. The Kahr is the most accurate for me.

I like the Kahr CM9 but love the SIG P290RS. It must be magic 'cause I can't explain why I'm faster/more accurate w/the P290RS than it's larger cousin the P250. Am seriously considering buying another.
Tomac

Size comparison (C-CW from upper right), Beretta 92 9mm, SIG P250c/sc hybrid 9mm, SIG P250sc .380, SIG P290RS 9mm, Kahr P380 .380 center:

I have a little Kel-Tec P-11 I got to test if I wanted such a small weapon. It has been flawless and has earned its spot as my carry piece.

a mini 9? my favorite is a Taurus pt-709 slim. it works all the time. it shoots where I aim. it's slim and small enough to hide easily. there I said it....Taurus.

Kahr P9 - little bit larger than the "*M" models. I like to have my little finger on the grip, not waving around somewhere under the bottom of the magazine.

I have a little Kel-Tec P-11 I got to test if I wanted such a small weapon. It has been flawless and has earned its spot as my carry piece.

Yes, feel the same way about mine. Awful trigger and all. :)

My only gripe with the P-11 is the short grip. I 'figured out' a modified grip that lets me shoot it with surprising accuracy, but I wish I could knew of (or the blueprints to make one) an extended mag for it. That would REALLY make the P-11 into "The Mouse That Roared."

-Sorry, had to make the Peter Sellers joke.

My smallest 9mm is a Ruger LC9.

It always works,and will get the job done at a self defence distance.

I carry it in a Crossbreed Minituk, and is comfortable to carry all day.
I tried pocket carry but it's just to big and heavy for the pocket.

I tried several, and went with the Walther PPS. Great shooter, and easy to conceal.

I also have an LC9 in the household. My wife carries this daily. She shoots it well. Coming from a revolver background, trigger reset is unimportant to her, and she is quite accostomed to a long DA trigger pull. I will add that it is a soft shooting pistol and is easy to conceal.

Boberg

d81db9_13a8ad76fb47be8572470e6a62b65116.jpg_srz_300_245_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

I've yet to see one of those Bobergs and look forward to it. Are they reliable?

As an engineer I have to tip my hat to the designer. That whole idea of pulling the round back out of the magazine causes one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments.

Does the Boberg have unusual recoil & muzzle flip characteristics?

Bart Noir

M & P Shield must be very good. Its not in stock anywhere. I almost bought the 380 bodyguard at the range today.. While I was thinking about it, I asked to see a Shield 9 and, "not in stock."

It also seems to be, "not in stock." anywhere on the internet...

warrior poet said:
My only gripe with the P-11 is the short grip. I 'figured out' a modified grip that lets me shoot it with surprising accuracy, but I wish I could knew of (or the blueprints to make one) an extended mag for it. That would REALLY make the P-11 into "The Mouse That Roared."

S&W 59 series 15-shot double stack 9mm magazines fit the P-11 perfectly. Kelgren designed it that way.
KelTec even offers a grip extension to slide over the S&W magazine.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/p-11-sw59-15-rd-mag-sleeve/

Rembrandt, I am glad to see that I am not the only one willing to go out on a limb and vote for the Boberg; I liked mine so much I bought a second. And I guess it is a good thing that my favorite gun store had no more Shortys on hand, or I would have bought more....

Bart Noir, the first Boberg XR9-S that I purchased was NOT reliable. It would eject both the empty AND the next loaded round from the magazine. I sent it back to the factory for repair, no questions asked and at the factory's expense, and it was returned to me in a week or so. Excellent service. And since its return, the gun has been 100% reliable.

I liked the gun so much I then bought a second Shorty, and it has worked perfectly from the first pull of the trigger. No break-in rounds required.

The gun is superbly accurate with surprisingly minimal recoil. You can literally shoot 100s of rounds through it with no pain or palsy whatsoever.

I like the gun much.

Boarhunter

Back