What's the loudest gun you've ever shot?

I remember that my dad and I had the absolutely brilliant idea of trying out his S&W 586 without ear pro...

"Dad, isn't this going to be loud?"
"Probably, but try it anyway."
"Are you sure?"
"How bad can it be?" (famous last words)
*BOOM*
*in unison* "That was a bad idea."

It's one of those comedy gold moments that you wish was recorded.

Loudest? ...

Probably a 'magnum' cartridge, ported rifle. (Many things fit into that category. It would be difficult to pick just one.)

Most painful? ...
Some super-hot .357 Mag from a 4" GP100. A person (even as a spectator) couldn't handle more than one cylinder's worth in a day. The concussion was just brutal.
As the shooter, it was a little uncomfortable on the hands, but the concussion was the killer.

It took us nearly two years to shoot up the box (box and a half?) of that stuff.

Most irritating and loudest single incident?
A high ranking individual in charge of training and weapons procurement in the Mongolian National Police was trying out some of the "toys" that we have stateside, but that they rarely see in Mongolia. He decided that standing behind me and mag-dumping a Ruger Mini-30 over my head, with the muzzle about 10 inches above my nose, was a good idea.

Double hearing protection and safety issues aside... I was NOT a happy camper, and let him and his stateside "liaison" know it. I'm sure that if I ever visited Mongolia while he is still alive, I would be executed and fed to the homeless. :mad:

The loudest I have shot is probably a .338 Lapua. The one that draws the most complaints from nearby shooters is my 7.5" AR SBR in 5.56mm. It's not quite as loud as the .338, but it is a harsh pop instead of a loud boom. I try to only shoot it when I have a bay to myself out of respect for others.

I have a Handi single shot that came as a .357 Mag. It was reamed to .357 MAXIMUM and the barrel cropped to 16 1/2".

With a full pressure load, a 180 grs. bullet going 2,000 fps, it makes a lot of noise. At the range it will blow chronometers away two lane either side of my bench.

However, my Rem 7600P in .308 with a 16 1/2 bbl may make just as much noise. When I shoot either at the range, I wear foam plugs under my muffs.

However, the loudest I have experienced yet is the 106mm Recoiless rifle. You get cooked on both sides with muzzle blast and back blast.

some double rifle, probably .577 NE or something

it was less expensive to fire two rounds so I did, with only foam earprotectors:mad:

My 4" S&W 29 44 Mag. at a indoor range. When I was shooting indoors a shooter came into the room said what is that , told him. He asked if he could try a shot, no problem but you need hearing protection, he replied not me I'm ok. I let him fire 1 shot, I think he sighns now.

Smith model 629 with 6 1/2" bbl

And this Rem. ammo at the indoor range. Sent a fireball halfway down the range with every round.:eek:

Technical Information •Caliber: 44 Rem. Mag.
•Bullet Weight: 180Grain
•Bullet Style: Jacketed Soft Point
•Case Type: Brass

Technical Information:
•Muzzle Velocity: 1610 fps

•Muzzle Energy: 1036 ft. lbs.

Loudest gun was a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine. It only made 1300 FPS from the 7.5" barrel and I sold it when I realized how slow the bullet was going but man that thing barked.

This is the loudest rifle I have. A 19" 308 is already loud and there's something about the odd H&K rifling that produces a really loud report.

standard.jpg

My loudest is my Winchester model 70,with a boss.....300 Weatherby Chamber,Laredo Barrel.....it goes "BOOM" big time...:D

Loudest I've shot is a 25mm Bushmaster on an M3 Bradley. Loudest I've heard was ruck marching past the Abrams range while the Tankers were doing a live fire at Knox.. Loudest I own is a hard call, but I have started working up some .44 mag with power pistol powder, I am pretty sure it's the loudest thing I have. I don't think my 8mm Mauser is quite as loud, but it isn't quiet either.

While not a "gun" typically referred to in this forum, loudest gun(s) I've fired are 5" ones aboard a destroyer, USS Cushing DD797, back in 1957. There were five single-gun mounts on board. I operated the unit inside the ship's gun plotting room below decks with firing keys for them. Closed the hand firing key 2 seconds after sounding the salvo warning alarm using its key to alert gun crews as well as other people topside. Any number of guns each time; up to five, depending on which ones were connected through a big switchboard. A 5-gun broadside was ear-shattering to personnel topside as well as ship-shocking vibrating the whole 2,250-ton tin can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_gun_fire-control_system#mediaviewer/File:Mk6_Stable_Element.jpg

A friend operated that same type unit on the USS New Jersey firing her 16" guns. He once told me "I've shot bigger guns than you have."

Last edited:
EarGeSchplittzen LoudenBoomers

+1 to SNYPER concerning the .30 Carbine Blackhawk. MY ears rang for 3 days. Either that, or a 2.5" S&W Model 19, with "original" .357 loads. Not sure which was loudest, but I REFUSE TO COMPARE THEM, SIDE BY SIDE!

I think the 20mm Lahti was the loudest I've shot. Seems big, until I compare to a 5" naval gun. Then it's just one of those Nerf things you get at Walgreens.

Without a sound measuring device I can't say for sure which is the loudest gun I've ever shot. I'm not sure which of the following was the loudest:

Ruger SP101 .357 Mag with a 2.25" barrel
S&W 629 .44 Rem Mag with a 8 3/8" barrel
Ruger (Original) Vaquero .44 Rem Mag with a 5 1/2" barrel
Remington 870 12 ga. with a short slug barrel
Browning A-Bolt .300 Win Mag with a 26" barrel

I'm glad the .300 Win Mag didn't have a 5" barrel! :)

The 16inch Mark VII deck gun on the USS Wisconsin......a 2700 lb projectile. Not sure of the decibel level but look up film on Youtube...it's gotta be the loudest there is.

Back